Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,536 Posts
Here in the retirement center of the US, cars driving into the front of stores is almost a daily occurrence.
The problem is sitting behind the steering wheel, not the brakes!
Brakes don't work well, when the driver is pushing on the gas pedal.
Yes, AGE does enter into the equation.

:cool:
Yup. My take too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry, didn't know i got any responses. so basically, it was deemed driver fault b/c the investigations didn't find anything wrong w/ the car. I wasn't super worried before b/c was relying on the EDR data from the little black box to prove that the brakes were being pressed at the time but according to Kia, the impact from the crash did not meet the threshold to trigger the permanent recording of the data. ie the impact wasn't big enough for it to record. so w/ an electric car, there's a helluva lot more torque when you step on the gas so just imagine how hard you would be stomping on the brake if you suddenly felt that your car wasn't stopping when you wanted it to. if you stepped on the gas w/ that much force in an EV, it would totally launch you forward. granted i wasn't in the car at the time but my mother in law said that the car basically rolled into the storefront. my 3 yr old wasn't even scared. i figure the the regenerative braking should have been working but again i wasn't driving so i don't know for sure. as common as hitting the gas instead of the brake is, i definitely don't think that was the case here simply b/c of how much more damage that would have caused.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter was driving her 2010 Soul in slow moving traffic with light snow. She pressed the brake pedal and had to veer to the right to miss the car in front of her--there seemed to be minimal braking. She was able to fully stop. When she started to move again, the traction light came on and there was some grinding noise but the brakes seemed to be working. She drove around a bit to make sure the brakes would work. She made sure the hand brake worked. The dealer hasn't been able to find anything wrong or any error reports from the car's computer. Has anyone else experienced this or similar problems? Thanks!
Its highly likely the brakes are working correctly from the scenario you presented. If a person isn’t used to the ABS, it can seem like the brakes aren’t workin... The brakes actually aren’t “actuating” because the “Anti-lock braking System” (ABS) prevents the brakes from being applied in slippery roads to prevent the car from being out of control. If the brakes locked up then your daughter couldn’t have steered to the side to prevent a collision and would have slide into the vehicle. The ABS system now pumps the breaks individually as before we used to pump the brakes to prevent a spin out with vehicles without ABS. The grinding sound or rumble sound is the ABS system redirecting the brake fluid and pressure to be applied to only the individual brake or brakes that have stopping traction because the sensors at the brake hubs tells the computer which wheels are rotating slower (locking up or stopping too fast) and prevents that brak from being applied . If all 4 wheels slow down too fast then the computer will not allow brake fluid to pressurize any brake.
Traction control also works with the ABS system in that if you accelerate on slick roads and one wheel cannot gain traction and rotates faster than the other side (known as a Spin-out) the ABS will also redirect the pulling power to the non slipping side of the axel and apply braking to the side that is spinning to prevent loss of control. The Traction Control Light only comes on to let you know it is operating not to report a failure.
Hope this explains how ABS works and helps you to understand that you MUST allow more stopping distance on wet and slippery roads even in slow traffic because Technically your brakes are NOT being applied only intermittently between the 4 brakes.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,610 Posts
Its highly likely the brakes are working correctly from the scenario you presented. If a person isn’t used to the ABS, it can seem like the brakes aren’t workin... The brakes actually aren’t “actuating” because the “Anti-lock braking System” (ABS) prevents the brakes from being applied in slippery roads to prevent the car from being out of control. If the brakes locked up then your daughter couldn’t have steered to the side to prevent a collision and would have slide into the vehicle. The ABS system now pumps the breaks individually as before we used to pump the brakes to prevent a spin out with vehicles without ABS. The grinding sound or rumble sound is the ABS system redirecting the brake fluid and pressure to be applied to only the individual brake or brakes that have stopping traction because the sensors at the brake hubs tells the computer which wheels are rotating slower (locking up or stopping too fast) and prevents that brak from being applied . If all 4 wheels slow down too fast then the computer will not allow brake fluid to pressurize any brake.
Traction control also works with the ABS system in that if you accelerate on slick roads and one wheel cannot gain traction and rotates faster than the other side (known as a Spin-out) the ABS will also redirect the pulling power to the non slipping side of the axel and apply braking to the side that is spinning to prevent loss of control. The Traction Control Light only comes on to let you know it is operating not to report a failure.
Hope this explains how ABS works and helps you to understand that you MUST allow more stopping distance on wet and slippery roads even in slow traffic because Technically your brakes are NOT being applied only intermittently between the 4 brakes.
Howdy and welcome to the forum Joseph.

The OP post is about 9 years ago. They only posted once and moved on (hopefully not due to brake failure) so there is little chance they'll see your response.

What Soul do you have?

Cheers!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts