Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2011 Soul in at the dealership for my service #2 (oil change/tire rotation) and they told me I need a brake job done as there is some rust and wear on the brakes. Knowing nothing about cars, this seems a bit soon to me as I only have 24,000 km on the car. I asked the technician if it is normally required that soon and he said it's usually done around 50,000 km, but it all depends on the way a person drives.
I didn't think I was a frequent/hard breaker but now I'm not sure if its something I'm doing that caused this or if there is something else going on...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds fishy, I would definately get another opinion. Take it to a mechanic you trust, if you have one, and have them look at it. All brakes get rusty, that's no reason to change them, most pads and rotors will last quite along time if you don't kill them quickly.

You'd have to leave your foot on the pedal and gas at the same time when driving, to run them out so quick, unless they are defective, but then you'd probably would have noticed some of the problems below.

Does the pedal feel any different, does it pull to one side when you brake, any noise?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I notice that your tag is "ms1234". If the "ms" is means that you are female. Then that is why the dealer's shop is trying to take advantage of you. I any case female or not you don't seem to be able to look at your brakes and tell if the need to be replaced. Have them checked by someone that you trust and knows what they are doing.
I had my wife take her car to have some mags put on it that I bought her for her b-day and they did a break and rotor job. I was out of town and could not check it my self. I did raise hell with the owner , but to little too late.
Off rant.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Get a second opinion! :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I just had my 2011 Soul in at the dealership for my service #2 (oil change/tire rotation) and they told me I need a brake job done as there is some rust and wear on the brakes. Knowing nothing about cars, this seems a bit soon to me as I only have 24,000 km on the car. I asked the technician if it is normally required that soon and he said it's usually done around 50,000 km, but it all depends on the way a person drives.
I didn't think I was a frequent/hard breaker but now I'm not sure if its something I'm doing that caused this or if there is something else going on...
are you the original owner of the vehicle and is it manual or automatic?

When I traded my Rondo in for the Soul, I had 79,000 km on the OEM brakes and were still in good shape. They are correct, however a lot is to do with the way a person drives. Like the others said get a second opinion at a local garage for example.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Second that motion, get a Second Opinion by non-dealer based mechanic, even if it is a Oil-Change shop. Best an independent mech or even Midas,but get that 2nd opinion. I have 48 K on mine as a lease return I bought and they are yet very good shape.

I would NOT say Mr. Lube would do it but you could try a local tire shop if you needed to........There are a couple shops in Ottawa I would use, but I don't know what part of the Metro area you are in..............

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Front disc brake pads will usually go double the mileage as rear disc brake pads.
Rear drum brake shoes will usually last about twice as long as front disc brake pads do and about 3-4 times as long as read disc pads do.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Front disc brake pads will usually go double the mileage as rear disc brake pads.
Rear drum brake shoes will usually last about twice as long as front disc brake pads do and about 3-4 times as long as read disc pads do.
In my experience its the other way around, as the fronts always take more of the load when braking. I noticed it even more when vehicles were equipped with front discs and rear drums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I called the dealership to clarify, and they told me what I need is a '4 wheel brake service'. Perhaps 'brake job' was the wrong term to use.
I had a free brake inspection done elsewhere the same day and they also said I should do the brake service. Is a brake service more of a preventative measure to make sure your brakes last longer?

The mechanic at the brake shop also pointed out to me that I had a large split in my front tire that the dealership somehow didn't notice when they rotated my tires just a few hours earlier. I'm not suspicious on that one as that brake shop doesn't even sell tires or install them. I'm baffled at how the dealership didn't see the 3" split on the outside of the tire they put back on my car. So now I'm off to buy a new tire...

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
brake service is totally different to a brake job and a heck of lot cheaper. You will see that listed in your owners manual regular maintenance service schedule.

It's possible the 3" split could have happened after you left the dealership.

Would help if you could fill out your DRIVES profile so that we see the details of your vehicle with each posting - thanks.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
In my experience its the other way around, as the fronts always take more of the load when braking. I noticed it even more when vehicles were equipped with front discs and rear drums.
Not in MY experience!
The fronts do the majority of the stopping that is for sure!
The rear calipers have more drag than the fronts due to the way they are constructed and the "E" brake mechanism that requires the pistons to be screwed back into the calipers in order to replace the pads.
This creates excessive drag that subsequently wears the pads quicker.
I got 75k out of front pads but only 38k out of the rear pads.
I got 75k out of front pads and over 120k out of rear drums shoes.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Strange. Out of the 20+ cars I've owned, not once have the front pads outlived the rear pads/shoes. I usually get 20-30k miles more out of the rear. Just changed the front pads on my wife's ES350. I'd say they were at 10%. Bought the pads for the back but once I had the back wheel off, I could see the pads were 90% as thick as the new ones.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Strange. Out of the 20+ cars I've owned, not once have the front pads outlived the rear pads/shoes. I usually get 20-30k miles more out of the rear. Just changed the front pads on my wife's ES350. I'd say they were at 10%. Bought the pads for the back but once I had the back wheel off, I could see the pads were 90% as thick as the new ones.
Strange Indeed!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Well...I guess it depends on the vehicle and it's weight/braking bias then.
All 3 of my elantras wore the brakes pretty much as described above.
Too soon to tell how the souls brakes will wear.

·
Registered
60 Posts
brake service is totally different to a brake job and a heck of lot cheaper. You will see that listed in your owners manual regular maintenance service schedule.

It's possible the 3" split could have happened after you left the dealership.

Would help if you could fill out your DRIVES profile so that we see the details of your vehicle with each posting - thanks.
What is "brake service is totally different to a brake job "? I have never heard of Brake Service other than and inspection of the Brakes.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
What is "brake service is totally different to a brake job "? I have never heard of Brake Service other than and inspection of the Brakes.
a brake job would be actually replacing the pads and possibly rotors. A brake service is more elaborate than a simply quick visual inspection of the pads, which in some cases is easy to do yourself.
I haven't had it done on my Soul (only got 7500 km on it), but I recall it being done on my 2008 Rondo in which all wheels were removed (rotating tires at the same time) and inspecting thoroughly all the brake components making sure everything is functioning as it should, lubricating where required, pulling the pads and inspection and refitting making sure there is no problem that is difficult to see. A preventive measure like any service. I think its about 1.3 hour service or some where in that area so its quite extensive. But probably gets you a lot more life out of your braking system.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I have never heard of anyone nor any dealer pulling and reinstalling the same brake components.
Either they do a visual inspection or they replace pads/shoes and resurface/replace rotors and do a visual on hydraulic components.
A "brake job" is just a term we have all come to know much like that other "job" that us manliest of men sometimes enjoy as well.
It's just a generic term is all.
When you come to think of it "job" & "service" really are quite synonymous...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts