Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just recently became a Soul (Base/Automatic) owner and have noticed a significant "slow down" after I take my foot off of the gas pedal. On other cars I've owned and my wife's current car, if we take our foot off the gas pedal the cars seem to "coast" evenly without any quick slow down just a general smooth coasting until we either brake or put our foot on the gas again. But, on the Soul, when I take my foot off the gas pedal there is a definite quick slow down, almost like a down shift feel, to the sppe rate of the car. I don't hear any or feel any brake noise or like the brakes are causing friction, but just wondered if this was normal for the Soul and I just am not used to this drop in acceleration. Do you guys notice this if you let up on the gas?

thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wife's 2012 soul + 2.0 does the same thing at first I would look to see if I had the E break on and then look to see if I had the right gear but after 6800 miles it is getting better ! :cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
its normal, its just dropping back down through the gears. In some cases it maybe more pronounced to some owners because they may not have had a 6-speed transmission before. I notice it more on my Soul than I did on the Rondo which had a 4-speed, but it still did it. Prior to that was an Oldsmobile which was a 3-speed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I noticed this feature on more modern automatic transmissions. I really appreciate it, since now is the first time in 40 years I don't own a vehicle with a manual transmission. I had become accustomed to that characteristic during driving in traffic with manual transmissions, and the lack of slowing when totally off the gas was one of the reasons I disliked auto transmissions in the past.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
My 04 Elantra with the 4 speed auto would coast seemingly forever without loosing speed.
No so on these 5 & 6 speeds though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really like that engine-braking effect with the automatic-equipped Seoul Train! It is very much more like a manual transmission. My wife and I have almost always had manuals. My transition to my 1999 VW Passat's "glide forever" feature took a long time. My wife went from a MT VW Jetta, and didn't have nearly the adjustment to make that I did.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine is a 2013 base auto also. I think the Soul is geared lower than regular cars. I think if the car had a higher rear end ratio the car would "coast" better and also would get better gas mileage. Kia needs to change the gear ratio or go to a seven speed transmission so the car would get even better gas mileage .

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My 2011 is a 4 speed and does the same thing. I like it. Really for coasting down freeway ramps to red light intersections or coasting between red lights.

[Sent from my Nexus 7. Pardon errors.]

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Ever heard the expression "motor braking" ? It's loudly obvious on the big diesels with their Motor Brake, also called the "Jake Brake".

When I'm coming off of I-75 at 80mph, and I have less than 500' to the stop sign, the motor brake is not enough. I pull the selector lever into the Manual position and bump-shift down till I knock off the extra speed. I do have to tap the brake pedal as I pull up to the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp.
No problemo! The system works!

This 1.6L engine is the smallest engine I've had since my 89 Sprint Turbo. That was only 1000cc.
Cars with small engines just work differently than cars with big hulking V8's. For us old Gearheads, it's a whole new world.

Happy Holidays!
TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys! That was actually very interesting info. I never knew that auto trans cars could do that; as manual trannys do. Very cool. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ever heard the expression "motor braking" ? It's loudly obvious on the big diesels with their Motor Brake, also called the "Jake Brake".
Exactly. The ECM stops injector pulses when it notices the throttle at closed position passed a certain threshold of time ( a few hundred milliseconds?). Once the engine RPM's get to idle speed, the injector pulses are resumed.

It's all about being green and every little bit helps and adds up to those tiny 1mpg increases as technology and ideas advance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts