Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was given a dealer price of $300 to completely flush the brake lines. Thoughts?

Anyone had their lines flushed?

Plan/hope to do myself to save the money.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
Yeah, $100 or so. I don't have enough miles on my Soul to be thinking about that (it seems to me that was 100K on the last car I had where it was recommended). And it's certainly something easy to do yourself, if you've got a minion to sit in the car and pump the brakes.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
....What color is the fluid?
Have brakes ever been replaced (good practice to flush at that time)?
An amber color. I bought the car used with about 40K miles on it. I'm assuming the brakes are original. And also assuming the fluid has never been changed which would make it 6 years old later this year (car manufactured late 2013).

On a pick up truck many years ago I had a brake line rupture due to corrosion so changing the fliud is something I want to do before much longer.

My previous car before this Soul I would every so often replace the brake fluid in the reservoir which was simple to do.

On vehicles in the past I've done some minor maintenance - changed spark plugs, changed (manual) transmission fluid, etc - but never done any real work with the braking components.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... its getting under the vehicle, not on a rack, to open the bleeds!
I've looked and located all four bleeders, it's I think doable but what a hassle it would be particularly given me not being young, small, nor agile.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
An amber color.
It should be clear, but I've seen it black.
In addition to abrasive impurities, moisture is more of an issue, which may corrode the brake cylinders...so changing it out is well worthwhile.

It could be done, jacking up one wheel at a time for easier access to each bleeder.

With minimal tools (usually a 10 mm wrench for the bleeders), it is helpful to have 3 people:
1. Maintains fluid level in master. If it empties, it will introduce air into the line.
2. Pushes on brakes slowly and shouts out as pedal gets close to floor.
3. Opens bleeder with pressure on pedal and closes bleeder as pedal nears floor.

A tube over the bleeder guides fluid to a container.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ah unfortunately no minion available and my dog, while reasonably smart (sometimes), is not that smart.
Purchase either a vacuum or pressure bleeder. No minion required. +1 changing fluid with pads, but 6 years is getting up there. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and its boiling point goes down as it absorbs water.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic and its boiling point goes down as it absorbs water.
Good point and proper DOT # is very important.

Dot 3, 4 & 5.1 are water absorbing and have 12 different basic formulas of glycol & ether.

Dot 5 is silicone based, is not water absorbing and has 3 different basic formulas.

While it’s permissible to mix DOT 3, DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 brake fluids, DOT 5 Silicone fluid
cannot be mixed with any other type. If the system is not completely purged before
conversion, the mixture may gel and result in very poor braking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the vacuum bleeder, no minion required if you use one of those. I've used a Mityvac hand operated pump before, they currently show $43 at Harbor Freight but are available at other places too.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
Ah unfortunately no minion available and my dog, while reasonably smart (sometimes), is not that smart.
Hmm... snag a passing urchin with a crisp new $5 bill? Your dog's legs won't be long enough. You can get a vacuum bleeder kit on eBay for under $20. Or make your own tool for $5 like in this YouTube video. (I've cobbled that sort of thing together with a glass jar, just make sure it's all secure enough so it won't fall apart or over whle you're working, that does make a mess.) The additional minion to watch the reservoir level would be nice, but it doesn't go down that fast, and you can check occasionally yourself while you're working, just keep topping it off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As the clear liquid brake fluid absorbs moisture (hygroscopic), its color darkens to amber then charcoal then black (really bad). I use a Mityvac vacuum pump for brake fluid replacement. It's a one-person operation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts