Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home this AM doing about 50mph and approached a red light. When I pressed on the brake hard it felt like the ABS kicked on and I was unable to stop as if I was driving on ice. Luckily I started to brake far enough back from the light that I eventually was able to stop in time. I went to get gas after and tried braking hard at the same speed as before, and there was no issue. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Take your pick:

1: There was some ice, a thin sheet or patch on the brake rotor, almost the same when rotors get wet and upon initial application they slip. Once used, they dry out and then catch properly.'

2: You drove on ice but the brakes are still working properly but the tires lost traction (from your description, this does not get my vote).

3. Hydralic fluid is low (again, does not get my vote).

4. All disk brakes on any car will occasionally do this. It is one of the reasons that cars include emergency brakes. Learn to use the mechnical advantage of the emergency brake level by pumping the handle with your thumb firmly holding the release button in. (I can vote for this one but only because of experience).

When ever your main line brakes act up while driving:
a. Pump your brakes, Pump your brakes, Pump your brakes...
b. Never forget that you have emergency brakes and how to use them, practice using them in an empty parking lot.'
c. Immediately lookfor the nearest curb or unobstructed hill that you can rub your wheels against or use to slow the car down.
d. Yell "Geronimo" and jump.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
You had freezing temperatures in NJ this morning. More than likely black ice like suggested above.

I hit some once with my Soul and freaked a bit when noisy ABS kicked in.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Only if there is some major malfunction! Eeek!
:grey:
I purchased a China Motors product in 1981. Two weeks into it I was driving my car pool around a cloverleaf getting off one highway onto another at aroub 35 MPH at rush hour in moderate traffic. I pushed on the brakes to slow me down going into the curve and guess what? No brakes, nothing at all. Turns out the China Motors kept the car for two weeks and stopped selling the car nationally for those two weeks until they found and fixed a design flaw that allowed a single point failure in the master cylinder. Yes, it can happen and YEEK is right. I ran it into the curb and onto the grassy hill to stop the car along with some sweaty right hand pumping action on the EB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts