Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a G2 caliper paint kit a few months ago and finally got around to doing the deed today. The paint is a 2-pack brush on paint and ultimately more durable than spray-paint.
Also, I wanted orange and I couldn't find the proper paint in that colour as a spray.

Just took these two quick pics after I finished. The car has to sit for a few hours now while the paint hardens.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very nice, been thinking about picking up some G2 myself, and thankfully my Soul came with wheels that would let me show it off.

How was working with the G2? Did you get to do the work with the calipers on, or did you have to get messy and all mechanically inclined and take them off?

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The instructions say that the paint hardens in the can (once mixed) in 4 to 6 hours. I found it gave me oodles of working time and flowed on really easily with the supplied brush. I used the kit's can of aerosol brake cleaner and I'd previously high-pressure washed the calipers (through the wheel spokes) a few days ago. The brake cleaner dries really quickly. The calipers remained firmly affixed to the car and I didn't need to mask anything..........one advantage of not using a puff-can.

All work was done with the KIA jack and wheel wrench......no trolley jack or air gun for me unfortunately, so I decided on a plan to have everything prepped ready for paint before it was mixed. This involved removal and refit of the wheels a few times because I could only have one wheel at a time off the car. I held each one on at these times by just one lug nut.

The only real difficulty in the mix was the fact that my body tells me I'm not the same guy I was 20 years ago when I used to be building street rods and stuff! The years make stuff more difficult, but I also had better working facilities and tools back in those days :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the info. I have one huge advantage if I decide to do this...ah who am I kidding, WHEN I decide to do this. My bosses at work are huge car freaks and have a lift in the back of the shop that they tell me I can use anytime I want, just let them know, so they can move the vehicles around so I can get to it, so I should be able to have all 4 wheels off at once.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
With a wheel-free lift this job would be a doddle. Plenty of colours to choose from.

One warning. Try and see a colour on a car before you choose. The orange I have is WAY brighter than shown in this picture, so images may not be accurate.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The spray bomb method never lasts through our winters. I just did touch up (repaint!) for the third time in 4 yrs. Looking good Martin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hit the G2 website and ordered 4 paint chips, and a G2 label while I was there. Now to find out which of those chips looks best with the alien paint.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hit the G2 website and ordered 4 paint chips, and a G2 label while I was there. Now to find out which of those chips looks best with the alien paint.
Great idea. Alien is a kind of difficult color to know what will work with it. Interested to know what you choose and of course see pictures once it's done.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My Soul has the steel wheels, so the brake calipers don't even show, so I won't be painting them.

But my Suzuki SX4 had mag wheels and the calipers really did show.
I found that Duplicolor makes a high temp spray paint specifically for brake calipers. I bought a can at my local Advance Auto Parts store.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliperPaint/

Using my floor jack, I lifted one side of the car at a time and after cleaning the calipers, I masked them off using some paper towels and masking tape. That paint lasted for four years, without chipping, flaking or fading, and was still in pretty good shape the day I traded that car off for my Kia Soul.

Make sure, that when you put your lug nuts back on, you use a Torque Wrench and use the proper tightening Torque and lug-nut tightening sequence.

Cheers Mates!
TM :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts