Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I'm wondering what am I hearing now since my car turned 120k miles.
I thought that it was a bearing in alternator.
I replaced it ($5). It was a bad bearing but that noise was not it.

It's really weird. I have used the stethoscope on all the accessories on the engine and water pump etc... All quiet smooth. Well alternator was only one making noise. Cylinder head silent. You can even hear the ticks of the fuel injectors on the fuel rail.

But you rev it up or idle and i hear box of rocks where the accessories are attached to the motor.

I started to wonder if its the timing chain. I will have to pull off the valve cover. But before I do all that. I'm wondering if my suspicions are correct.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mind recording it? And are you sure it's coming from the engine?

It could be a handful of things, bad chain tensioner, or a loose heat shield/baffle. At certain RPMs, my exhaust heat shield will rattle (and sounds like rocks in a can), but the sound is more underneath the passenger compartment than the engine.

If you pull off the valve cover, you can definitely see if the chain has any slack, then you know for sure it's a chain tensioner

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,613 Posts
It might be worth having the timing chain checked out or replaced. Aren't they rated to last 100,000 miles?

I've had bad water pumps that make a bag-o-rocks sound too.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
If it's a 2011 model it has a BELT not a chain, has it ever been replaced? If not then it's definitely time.....not sure if this has anything to do with the noise you're hearing. 2.0 engine only...

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
If it's a 2011 model it has a BELT not a chain, has it ever been replaced? If not then it's definitely time.....not sure if this has anything to do with the noise you're hearing.
not the 1.6L version, it has a timing chain, only the 2.0L had a belt for 2010 & 2011.

However, it's not a bad idea to have the timing belt checked for tightness with high mileage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was refusing to acknowledge that I was hearing a loose chain cause I don't need this **** right now. Also local auto parts store doesn't carry any timing chain parts and valve cover gasket is 3 days away special order.

This is 120k miles. They say the chain is good for lifetime. But they don't say anything about the tensioner being lifetime. Need to read between the lines.

Thanks guys for all the comments. I just didn't get notifications that I got any answers.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
The tensioners from Hyundai engines have an upgraded model, first design had a flaw - without oil pressure, they will release the tension completely. Looks like yours is in that category.
The improved model had a ratchet rail, to keep the chain tension even after oil pressure dropped (stopped engine).

This happens even on German guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAdSyBRHOPs

Thanks guys for all the comments. I just didn't get notifications that I got any answers.
Notification it's an option in the forum/thread settings. Default is "off".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tensioners from Hyundai engines have an upgraded model, first design had a flaw - without oil pressure, they will release the tension completely. Looks like yours is in that category.
The improved model had a ratchet rail, to keep the chain tension even after oil pressure dropped (stopped engine).

This happens even on German guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAdSyBRHOPs

Notification it's an option in the forum/thread settings. Default is "off".

I had the ratchet kind i the car already. I replaced the chain, sliders, tensioner and I still have the noise.
I went to the dealer and the guy "it's your engine making the noise" no ****. Then he asked who did the work replacing the timing chain. I said I did. So he said that I put it together wrong. And then had a smirk on his face. I knew that it was bad idea to seek help there. Cause he wanted me to leave him the car.

When I get home I will check one thing that I should have done before doing all this.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
My Suzuki Gsxr's/Srads suffered chronically from this type of C.C.T. failure.
Most folks replaced the stock C.C.T. with a manual one from APE engineering.
Tension would back off and the rattling could be heard when chopping the throttle or on the decel.
Suzuki ultimately revised it but even those were known to fail.
Hydraulic tensioners superseded the previous one but those too had issues of their own.
I've always affectionately referred to it as the "marbles in the blender" sound.

·
Registered
141 Posts
On my 2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250 it is indeed hydraulic but at least one documented case there was "noise". So the owner took it to the dealer and no joke, they put it on the dyno and beat the heck out of it and the noise went away. Reasoning!? It was close to the next adjustment "spot" but until it was beat on it didn't "click" into it... :victorious:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts