Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2013 ! and it smells like cigarettes. It was detailed a while back, but it still smells. I think it’s the ceiling.

Can the ceilings be cleaned? I know they’re foam and you can’t get them wet. Either it’s gonna have to be cleaned or the foam replaced to get that smell out.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I recently bought a used 2013 ! and it smells like cigarettes. It was detailed a while back, but it still smells. I think it’s the ceiling.

Can the ceilings be cleaned? I know they’re foam and you can’t get them wet. Either it’s gonna have to be cleaned or the foam replaced to get that smell out.
Before you do that try an ozone machine. We use them in rental properties to kill all kinds of odors.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts

A quick use of the Advanced Search function provides some reading material on the forum where others talked about cigarette smell problems & cures.

Search results for query: Cigarette smell

Reactions: westslope

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,049 Posts
If it works it's permanent. If it doesn't you probably can't solve it with just a headliner, you would likely need all soft surfaces - seats, carpet, headliner.
I agree JD, cigarette smell is more than likely permanent. The chemicals soak into the plastics, fabrics, floor and headliners, even electronics exposed to air. It's the odor that keeps on giving (think formaldehyde).

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I agree JD, cigarette smell is more than likely permanent. The chemicals soak into the plastics, fabrics, floor and headliners, even electronics exposed to air. It's the odor that keeps on giving (think formaldehyde).
Years ago I once rented a house where a lady lived that chain-smoked for 40 years. The side room was colder than the kitchen, so the little hallway between them would get condensation on the ceiling. It would drip down in bright orange drops from the layers of smoke film on the ceiling. 🤮

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Years ago I once rented a house where a lady lived that chain-smoked for 40 years. The side room was colder than the kitchen, so the little hallway between them would get condensation on the ceiling. It would drip down in bright orange drops from the layers of smoke film on the ceiling. 🤮
Near the room where the giant fire puff works,
and the torture never stops. :LOL:

OK. Off to youtube to watch again the live version of that Zappa song with Steve Vai supplying the screams. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,223 Posts
You can also try this.....

Liquid Fluid Personal care Packaging and labeling Service

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2022 Soul LX, IVT
73 Posts
Our latest Dodge Caravan had been detailed pretty carefully before we bought it 2 or 3 yrs ago but the cigarette smoke smell persisted in the heat/AC ductwork. Tried several things and the only one that worked was borrowing a friends commercial ozone generator and doing 3 or 4 treatments with the heater blower set on high and recirculate (used a trickle charger during). About 45 minutes each and let it sit overnight before airing it out to drive between them. Gone and hasn't come back.

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
83 Posts

do they still have those odor bombs...there like a bug bomb and you place it in the car fuming overnight windows and doors shut....idk...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ozone machine will work, but you gotta get it out of the fabric, carpet, seats, etc first.... A good cleaner along with a steamer and extractor to the seats, carpet and headliner will get the funk out, then use the ozone machine to finish it off.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Smoking or vaping anything while driving should be illegal.

Leaving an open bowl of baking soda over several days should help a bit.

Using a small portable rug cleaner and/or a steam cleaner to do the ceiling fabric should help.

Keep in mind that those pesky researchers have been looking into the health effects of third-hand tobacco in recent years. In passing, if there is such a thing as a 'gateway drug', tobacco is it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts