Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new '20 GTL Turbo Friday, it was delivered from a dealership 100 miles away (there were none to be found locally), they dropped it off, we did all the papers, they left, I took it out for a spin.

Got about 5 miles up the road and it stalled at a red light saying I had to put it into P or N to restart, so I did that. When it restarted the self check went all to hell, it said I needed to check pretty much every single system - Blind Spot Detection, Lane Keep Assist, etc etc, literally everything, every warning light was lit up, and my power steering wasn't working. Wrestled it into a parking lot, tried to stop and start it several times hoping it would clear up. Finally gave up and headed towards the (thankfully) VERY near by KIA Dealer (literally a mile from where I was). Got back to the same redlight and everything just went back to normal, and the only warning light now on was the check engine light.

Got to the dealer, one of their techs pulled codes after I told him what went on, and he said it had like 20 codes, some were "not defined yet" and several mentioned loss of communication from basically one side to the other in the computer subsystems. So they've had it since Friday night and still don't know what's up.

Oh and on a probably unrelated note, I noticed the HUD wouldn't come up out of the dash.

Anyway, I can't say I'm real happy about this, at least they got me a rental until it's fixed.

So, anyone ever heard of this? The KIA tech said it was quite unique and he was working with KIA engineers to try and get a fix done. At what point do they say it's a lemon and buy it back?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not a good start is it?

Check the law, but it has to have the same issue more than once, and be out of your hands for at least a certain number of days. So, you're not there yet. Hopefully they can fix it without too much trouble and it stays fixed. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
L E M O N L A W.

Don't dance around with them, if it's not fixed within your States Law terms, get a new one or go to another dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a good start is it?

Check the law, but it has to have the same issue more than once, and be out of your hands for at least a certain number of days. So, you're not there yet. Hopefully they can fix it without too much trouble and it stays fixed. Good luck.
Looks like Alabama is 3 attempts or 30 days. So clock is ticking, it's been there since Friday so that's I guess 5 of 30 so far, and they don't even have an answer as to what they're going to fix, yet. So tick tock I guess.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Looks like Alabama is 3 attempts or 30 days. So clock is ticking, it's been there since Friday so that's I guess 5 of 30 so far, and they don't even have an answer as to what they're going to fix, yet. So tick tock I guess.
Good on you for checking out the local law. Don't be afraid to let them know you are a member of the Kia Soul Forum with tens of thousands of members closely watching how they treat you. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
I would be beyond pissed! They should give you another car no questions asked!

·
Registered
357 Posts
That's way beyond disappointing. I'd probably be pushing for a different car and let them sort that one out on their own time. I mean, a total failure less than 5 miles away from the dealer isn't just a problem. It's a disaster. That Soul fails to meet the merchantability test. It doesn't function as a vehicle. You can't drive it. You paid for a working automobile, and you don't have one.

·
Registered
14,773 Posts
almost sounds like they didn't do the PDI.

Was it driven from the other dealership?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Five miles is actually pretty good.
When I bought my brand new 2009 Suzuki SX4, I only got about a half mile up the street from the dealer before it died and would not start.
They came and got me, and gave me a loaner car. Five days later, they called me to tell me that they found the problem and fixed it, and I could come and get my car.
It turned out to be a loose connector, somewhere under the battery, that was keeping the battery from charging. In five years I never had that problem again.
Stuff happens!
Good Luck!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Five miles is actually pretty good.
When I bought my brand new 2009 Suzuki SX4, I only got about a half mile up the street from the dealer before it died and would not start.
They came and got me, and gave me a loaner car. Five days later, they called me to tell me that they found the problem and fixed it, and I could come and get my car.
It turned out to be a loose connector, somewhere under the battery, that was keeping the battery from charging. In five years I never had that problem again.
Stuff happens!
Good Luck!
FLH :cool:
A loose connection, faulty ECU or wiring harness is what it sounds like to me. To get that many codes and communication errors sounds line the diagnostic system itself has issues.

I suspect they'll find the issue, correct it and it won't come back. It sure is frustrating to get a new car and not be able to enjoy it, but cars, electronics, appliances, etc is a numbers game. Stuff like this happens to a certain percentage of all makes and models. It happened to me with a Ford Ranger.

Hopefully you'll have a fully functioning car soon, but if not your have the law and us forum members on your side!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Might be a one time thing that will never return once it is solved, if it does then agitate for a replacement car.

Pat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They still haven't figured out what's wrong. The tech said they've been working with a KIA engineer over the phone and still no luck. I asked him how long will it take them to throw in the towel and buy it back and he didn't know, said he'd find out Monday.

Our law is (as I understand it from reading it) 30 days in a year fixing issues, or 3 attempts to fix the same issue in 2 years. Well tomorrow (Sunday) is day 9. So I guess, tick tock it is, I guess. I do feel like from all I've seen is that this is some sort of loose connection and if they can find it it likely wouldn't reoccur. But we'll see, I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
almost sounds like they didn't do the PDI.

Was it driven from the other dealership?
Yes it was driven from the other dealer, roughly 100 miles. Which makes me wonder how it failed for me in ~5 miles but was fine for them for 100 miles. Maybe it's because in that 5 or so miles I tried out nearly every sub system (stop & go, lane keep assist, etc) that the car has, so maybe I touched a magic button or something, who knows. Or maybe it failed for them and they pulled the battery terminal to clear the code once the car cleared up, that part of me that trusts no one wonders if that might have been the case. Because it did clear up and act right for me relatively quickly (in drive time) and clearing the check engine (in my experience) is as easy as pulling off the battery terminal.

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
It does sound suspicious that in the 100 mile trip from the other dealership there was no problem but as soon as you drive away the issues show up. I don't have much faith in any car dealership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A turbo! You got a 28,000 vehicle! That youre not driving!! Wtf! Will they be prorating the payments for these last 12 days???

I would be through the roof bro!
Sounds like they are avoiding having to change the entire computer.

So you went to KIA to get a car but you go a rental car instead..i would tell them "guys, i couldve gone to enterprise on my own, and theyd pick me up!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts