Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul GT-Line
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ...and gals...I just want to run this by you...I have a 2021 soul gt line and I have 1200 miles and checked oil for first time and it's 1/2qt low.....is that break-in oil burn or should I be concerned....I have re-built motors in the past and that would be nothing...it would subside after 500mi to 1500 mi...so I guess I am in the clear for now and will keep an eye....but I thought new motors don't burn from the get-go because the new motors are built with tighter specs.......should I be concerned or is this normal.....thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,988 Posts
Since it's YOUR first time checking it, it may have always been 1/2 qt low.

Fill it up and keep an eye on it at least weekly until you're satisfied there's not a problem.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
320 Posts
It’s not uncommon for a new engine to burn a little oil during break-in. Like Geo says, top it off, and check it more often for the next few thousand miles.

Also, make sure your car wasn’t part of the piston ring recall that affected a small percent of 2020-2021 Souls. You can check with your VIN here

·
Registered
2020 GT-White
203 Posts
It’s not uncommon for a new engine to burn a little oil during break-in. Like Geo says, top it off, and check it more often for the next few thousand miles.

Also, make sure your car wasn’t part of the piston ring recall that affected a small percent of 2020-2021 Souls. You can check with your VIN here
This is the only new car I have owned that has used oil from new other than FORDS. Difference being.....the FORDS never stopped.

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey guys ...and gals...I just want to run this by you...I have a 2021 soul gt line and I have 1200 miles and checked oil for first time and it's 1/2qt low.....is that break-in oil burn or should I be concerned....I have re-built motors in the past and that would be nothing...it would subside after 500mi to 1500 mi...so I guess I am in the clear for now and will keep an eye....but I thought new motors don't burn from the get-go because the new motors are built with tighter specs.......should I be concerned or is this normal.....thanks for any advice...
it probably came.....from the factory.....a half quart low.....

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Worse thing I ever read on any car forum was the guy who said, "I'm going to break mine in nice and slow, so I don't hurt it." Nice and slow doesn't seat rings.

I once had a 425 cu/in V8 completely rebuilt, so it was like brand new. It used oil like crazy!
I asked the guy who rebuilt the engine, "how do I make this car stop using/burning oil?".
And his response was "all out acceleration, from zero to as fast as possible, as often as possible".
Sure enough, that worked.
I've remembered that lesson with every new car I've owned. And, I also remember what my dad told me, "Break'em in fast and they'll always run fast, but, break'em in slow and they will never run fast". Dad was right.
My 2020 Soul was broke in FAST, and she runs FAST!

Happy Motoring, Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
During break in of the new Hyundais I have owned over the decades, I loosely followed what the manual said which is similar to this below.

Varying the rpm and not driving at the same rpm for long periods during break in was probably the most important.

I’ve never had a Hyundai engine fail me yet.

Automotive parking light Tire Product Wheel Motor vehicle

Reactions: Junk2.0

·
Registered
317 Posts
I do the same. But there's someone on this forum that is smarter than even the auto engineers that design the cars.
With all the problems, recalls on the 2020 and up Souls I really have to question just how smart they are. I was a machinist for 34 years and engineers aren't nearly as brilliant as one would think. "Behind every good engineer is a better machinist to fix his sh!t" can't tell you how many times I threatened engineering that I was going to make these (airplane) parts just like you designed. Something was always wrong. Turbine engine parts.....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ran factory fossil in my 2010 Soul 2L first 2K miles; changed to syn Mobil 1 after 2K; varied speed as suggested; now have 67k and no oil consumption; current trip to Fla from Indiana down I75 with 350lbs of cargo, air on, 65mph as much as possible; no oil consumption. Do my own 4K oil changes, KIA filter only.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Vindex,
Sounds like we have some common experience with engineers. That's why they usually work with technicians that have the practical experience, to keep them out of trouble. I was never given a circuit to build (at CAT Research) that I didn't have to RE-Design to make it work right.

I've had similar experience with Windows or at least the men who wrote it. Just to CYA, they put in a lot of SAFE Defaults, that seriously limit the ability of Windows to ever run at its full potential. I've found out how to modify those Safe Defaults, or at least some of them, to greatly improve the performance of any version of Windows.

Quite often, I wonder if the guy who actually wrote the Users/Owners Manual, ever drove one of these cars.
Like, they said that most KIA's are operated under "Normal" conditions, without ever telling us what "Normal" actually means. So most sheeple just fall in line and assume that they are "Normal"....NOT SO!
Read the list of things that constitute "Severe", and if just one thing pertains to you or your driving area, then you're driving your car under Severe Conditions.
Rectangle Font Number Paper product Paper

I can easily relate to: C, E, and K. (and occasionally J)
I already knew I was driving in Severe Conditions when I bought this car. I've had the discussion with three Service Managers so far, and they all agreed that any car driven in Florida, is being driven under Severe Conditions.
And, that's just FL.....almost every other state also has some Severe Condition.
In the Mid-West, it's gravel dust, and in FL it's Sugar Sand. I've driven down I-75 in a high cross wind, and observed the fine sand blowing across the road like water.

Poor maintenance is like a poor diet, it will catch up with you eventually.

Cheers Mates, and Happy Motoring!
:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts