Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -
I've read older posts on towing, and I have a Kia Soul+ 2010. My boat, motor and trailer weigh close to 500#'s, and I'm investigating installing a hitch kit on my car. I see all kinds of conflicting information :confused: about whether to tow or not, since the US manual says "towing is not recommended with this vehicle". BEFORE (I must be maturing) I go ahead and put on the hitch, I'd like to hear what y'all say about it. Any advice is appreciated - thank you!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't have Kia Soul specific towing experience to share with you, sorry.

But I do have a receiver hitch on my Soul, and did just wire it for trailer electrics, and do intend to use my little 4X8 trailer behind it for when I go on long trips with kayaks. I lose about 5 mpg carrying boats on top, so towing with the boats in the 'wind shadow' of the car interests me. However, dealing with the trailer on white water trips could be a hassle, so this use will be reserved for those long multi-day trips where having firewood offsets the hassle of dealing with the trailer. I'd still car-top the boats during the shuttle, just trailer them on the 6 hour drive.

My set up, loaded with firewood, would weigh no more than 500 lbs, which is why I thought my plans might have some relevance for your question.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I plan on using mine to tow my 4x8 trailer. Usually just yard waste and maybe some appliances occasionally. Should be no problem. Had a hitch on an Element years ago, and of course it is heavier and a larger engine, but was a breeze towing with it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
They actually don't recommend towing with the Soul. But they won't void the warranty over it. The car did, after all, win tow-car of the year across the pond.

But, to answer your question. The Soul will have zero problems towing 500# of trailer weight. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
518 Posts
^ +1. Really easy car to tow with, just watch the braking distance and turning radius with a long trailer on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts