Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I'm trying to activate what is referred to in the manual as "Audio Speaker Adaptation" which is supposed to let the Soul tailor its voice recognition to a particular voice. To activate, you are supposed to press and hold for 10 seconds the "hang up phone" button on the lower left of the steering column. Well, I've tried that and am getting no reaction. No beep, nothing on display, no recognizing the "record profile" command. Nothing.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Sonic

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THAT EXACT SAME THOUGHT CROSSED MY MIND!!!

Then I quickly realized it couldn't possibly be the case, the 2014 is at best a red-headed stepchild. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts

Then I quickly realized it couldn't possibly be the case, the 2014 is at best a red-headed stepchild. :D
Now you have gone and done it. Now no one will give you an answer and you will be plagued until the end of time. And it will be passed from car to car, they talk to one another, you know. So if you ever trade or sell the Soul, don't let it anywhere near the replacement vehicle. They will conspire to make your life more miserable. I never speak ill of any car around it or another car, I know that it will follow you forever.

Red headed or not, they are still brothers and sisters under the skin.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts

And I forgot to add, that now that you have written all this, NSA now has it recorded in its records. If you ever hook a cell to your radio, as it appears you have done, the car can then access that entirety of the database. You have no escape, you are doomed forever more! Bewaahaha.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I give up on this, it does not work. Any other 2013 owners having this issue?? Did a firmware change transpire and the user manual was never updated to reflect the feature being removed???

Any 2013 owners who would be kind enough to check and report back I'd appreciate. Just hold the "hang up phone" button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds and see if anything happens.

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine works by holding the hang up button in, as you describe. Then it goes into a series of questions. My car is a base, but that function seems to be shared. I'm having my own share of problems have a thread on it, it won't read my phonebook, downloads it but says no contacts stored when I try to use it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks Brock. I was afraid of that, seems something may indeed be up with that feature in my car.

Any other owners out there who can verify??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump

Before I go making a KIA problem-report, can any other 2013 owners please verify this as working or not??

Just hold down the "hang up phone" button on the steering wheel for at least 10 seconds and see if you are prompted for a command, or if nothing at all happens.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2011 Soul....I am using the end call button and nothing

BTW I have tried it with the phone connected and not....car running....

anyone have an idea....let me know

I use bluetooth all the time

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Please read through this thread: "Phone Directory "by name" don't work". Brock was having some of the same problems but he seems to believe he solved it. If so, perhaps you can implore him to share. His post below was a week before the end of the referenced thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got this to work, the car was started & phone on and paired- radio was on when I held the "end call" button in....then it asked if I wanted to record profile, gave me words, phrases to speak, then finished....still have not tried to see if it is better....will report back

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
784 Posts
Looks like Kathleen was smarter than you boys! She KNEW the radio should be on when trying this cause if you expect to hear a reply coming outa the speakers-then turn on the radio!
:laughonfloor
:think

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Looks like Kathleen was smarter than you boys! She KNEW the radio should be on when trying this cause if you expect to hear a reply coming outa the speakers-then turn on the radio!
Well some of us. I never did have any of these problems with any of my cars, although it did take some work to get the radio on the base working correctly. Nor did my son and I try to do any of this with the radio turned off, and it did not occur to me that anyone else would be doing that either. But there is that "thunk" issue again :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually I reported the solution to this a few days ago and it was moved to a sticky.

The radio does not have to be on for standard voice recognition operation.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you must live in one of the states where weed is legal. :D

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
784 Posts
Sonic, weed is not legal here and that is off topic. Glad for your sake you were able to fix your own problem. I don't use this feature so never fretted over it. My wife uses it and had no problem getting it to work for her.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts