Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy the SS Blue LED sill plates from Ebay for around $40 plus shipping. I cannot find anyone who has installed these on the forum. Was wondering what it takes to wire them into the car. Do you have to take out each individual door switch to wire to? :confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Blue led door sill install

Got those door sills and spent some time figgering out where to tap in to wire them. I've seen all kinds of suggestions, most weren't accurate. Here's what I ended up doing.
I wanted the sills to light up when the doors opened, off when closed. The door switches do not turn the lights on and off. they actually communicate with a master interior computer that times the lights on and off. Some folks have suggested going to this unit behind the glove box and tapping in there.
My experience and opinion after trying this....DON'T DO IT. The wiring is tight and the possibility of messing up the computer or the wires is high.
After looking for the electrical schematic....that doesn't exit....I reverted to the KISS process.
I knew that I wanted power when the dome light came on....so tap into that set of wires. But.....where are they?
If you pull the vinyl cover off the drivers side of the windshield, you'll find the wires running up to the dome lights. Tap in there, and run the two wires down along the drivers side kick panel and then under the sill area.
When you have the driver side passenger sill wired, continue running wires under leading edge of the back seat. They tuck under very easily...and then just run your wires forward.
Took about two hours to do......a week to figure out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any chance you have pictures of where and how to get under those covers to file the wires through? Also what should I search on ebay to find these sill plates? And for the passenger door did you just file the wire the exact same way, but just to the other side of the car?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just rec'vd my sills and think I understand the concept but would like a bit more detail as to removing the pillar cover and selecting the correct wires.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
There is not actually an air bag in the a pillar. With the a pillar off you can see the tip of it poking out from behind the headliner. I pulled the wires for mine from the light in the front center of the car and just ran wires down each a pillar. The way mine is set up I pull the negative door trigger wire from that light and the hot at all times from the light as well and hooked it up that way. Sorry I didn't think about taking pics of the whole process but I got some installed ones.

EDIT: I will say one thing though. With 3 kids the back ones have got scuffed up quick and hard. I am going to take them out and coat them in spray on bedliner to make them more durable. And while I have them apart doing that I am going to see about swapping the blue LED's for red ones to better match my Soul.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, any tips on removing the cover? I see a plastic plug labled AirBag. Guess it covers a screw or snap device securing it to the pillar ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Rodville.
The Ones I see on eBay look like they uses sticky tape to hold them down. Is this correct for all of the sills you can buy or are there some that actually snap in like the original ones? Also is it possible to replace the Blue LED with red ones? Car is red and I think this would look better. I am fairly handy with soldering etc.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Sadly the only ones that will snap in are the OEM ones from KIA. The sticky tape won't hold long if there is ANY armor all or other protectant on the sills. Plus you can't just stick them on top of the sills as they are because they will scrape the door. I have had to do modifications to the sills that will preclude me ever removing them and going back stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just saved me 50 bucks. Guess I will look for a different mode to do. May do red mood lights under the dash that turn on/off with the door open/close.
Again thank you. I would have been an unhappy camper.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
What about getting one of the red stick on led strips you can get from your local auto parts store and sticking it to the underside of each door. That way it will glow red on the ground when the doors are open. Just a thought. :)

As for me I am taking them apart (seeing as I have them) and I am replacing the blue LEDs with red. I am also changing the logo displayed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have about 8 feet of red LED's. I got extra when I did the speaker lights mode. I will give that a try.
Need to find the overheard dome light wiring and then will do a couple of different door lighting mods.

Please post some pictures when you change the LED's out. Not too many pictures of the back side of the sills. Do you know if you can buy the original door sills? If I had an extra set I may try to do some modifications to the stock ones. Maybe laser cut the soul logo on a piece of stainless and cut it into the stock sills. hmmm.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts