Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody else had a blown head gasket.. Granted I put a lot of miles on ... of course i just hit 62,000, and had noticed my temp gauge go up.. checked water level, it was low.. I change oil regularly at oil change places.. no one mentioned issues.. it heated up again. still no engine light just noticed the temp gauge went almost the top.. still no light.. I pulled over wait a minute restart engine and its temp gauge was fine checked water levels.. yup sure enough low.. took to KIA and carmax is where i bought and they both siad it the thermostat... car max changed it for me ( hence my factory warranty was out.. good thing I bought the extended warranty from carmax).. 9 days later the gauge went up again,, I told them I was not comfortable with driving it ... got them to check it again... they said it was fine... I said go ahead and do maintenance check and a oil change.. phone call later .. wa la antifreeze in the pan... the head is not cracked or warped but they are having it resurfaced and are putting new head bolts on... I hope to have her back soon... its been 10 days...

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,611 Posts
That suxx. Good move on the extended warranty. What year/model/engine is your Soul?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree. I have never heard of this on a soul, let alone under 75k miles!! Must have been a manufacturing defect.

+1 on the year and model (1.6 or 2.0?)

Wondering what caused it. Had it run low on antifreeze before and run hot?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 soul+ 22,000miles blown head gasket . i bought it used with a little under 22,000. coolant wasn't circulating and had heat then no heat then heat, thermostat and water pump good.i've never had a head gasket go at 22,000 on any vehicle of mine.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Yes,very rare to have a head gasket go with those low miles.
Or,how engines are built nowadays,almost never happens.
Think this could have been a defect from the factory.
YES!Extremely important.Never drive a vehicle when its overheating.
I too would like to know the engine and trans.on both the OP's Soul and,
t.mac's
1.6 or 2.0--AT or MT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 KIA Soul base. 6-speed maunal. I have 45k miles.I have my oil changed regularly.
I was coming home from a trip(200mi) and noticed a black smoke appearing in my rear view mirror. I looked at my dashboard. No check engine light on. No high temperature. There was a truck in front of me smoking, so I mentally wrote off the smoke coming from me. Got pass the truck and I didn't see anymore smoke period. A few miles later, I hear what sounds like my valves rattling. I look at the dash. No check engine light. Temperature gauge showing no heat. I go to pull over(on a hill) and started loosing power.

I stopped at the top of the hill. Now there is a knock. Still no check engine light. Temp guage at no heat. I turn it off and get out the car to check. No hissing. Fluid in the system. I start the car back up. Check engine light now flashing. No heat on temp gauge. Flash forward. KIA asked if it overheated. No I answered. They said there was no fluid in the radiator. And I had blown 2 gaskets. Waiting on KIA response. How was there no check engine light or it never ran hot? No answer from the techs.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I have a 2012 KIA Soul base. 6-speed maunal. I have 45k miles.I have my oil changed regularly.
I was coming home from a trip(200mi) and noticed a black smoke appearing in my rear view mirror. I looked at my dashboard. No check engine light on. No high temperature. There was a truck in front of me smoking, so I mentally wrote off the smoke coming from me. Got pass the truck and I didn't see anymore smoke period. A few miles later, I hear what sounds like my valves rattling. I look at the dash. No check engine light. Temperature gauge showing no heat. I go to pull over(on a hill) and started loosing power.

I stopped at the top of the hill. Now there is a knock. Still no check engine light. Temp guage at no heat. I turn it off and get out the car to check. No hissing. Fluid in the system. I start the car back up. Check engine light now flashing. No heat on temp gauge. Flash forward. KIA asked if it overheated. No I answered. They said there was no fluid in the radiator. And I had blown 2 gaskets. Waiting on KIA response. How was there no check engine light or it never ran hot? No answer from the techs.
Welcome, this is a new one, have hot heard of a Soul blowing a gasket before.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

It had no coolant in the system, the temperature gauge shows you the coolant temperature and with no coolant in the engine, it doesn't register any heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts