Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I own a 2017 Kia Soul 2.0. I am the only owner it was purchased brand new. I kept up with my maintenance and did everything I was supposed to do. However, 4 weeks ago after a day of shopping and no issues with the vehicle all of a sudden I am sitting at a stop sign getting ready to turn and the engine knocks a couple times and goes completely dead in the middle of the road! Now the 2 years prior to my vehicle were recalled for engine issues come to find out. But not mine. So I fork out thousands of dollars in labor and a new engine and they go to take the engine out and its not only the engine its also the catalytic convertor as well this is what my mechanic told me High exhaust temperatures damaged the catalytic converter causing engine combustion that damaged the engine's pistons causing the piston to throw in the engine...now again if you look up recalls on the catalytic converter you will find them...just not on mine with the 2.0 engine. So now I am told that the new catalytic convertor is another 1300 dollars which I do not have now after forking out for the engine. I am pissed. Something needs to be done about this because if all that wasn't bad enough I still owe 5000 on the vehicle that I thought was going to last for much longer. and I guess now hopefully it will with half the car going to be brand new again and thousands out of pocket.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How many miles are on the car? A 2017 one owner Soul should still be covered under power train warranty for 10y/100k miles. Did you contact a Kia dealer? What did they say?

Reactions: bwdz75

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 113000 I work over an hour from my house and I have 2 children in their teens that play sports and are involved in band. So we drive a lot. And I contacted 6 different kids until one lady actually gave me a number to call she said to call the number and tell them my issue and they would write it up and look into it and make a decision on whether or not to they will cover the repairs.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul +
24 Posts
I have 113000 I work over an hour from my house and I have 2 children in their teens that play sports and are involved in band. So we drive a lot. And I contacted 6 different kids until one lady actually gave me a number to call she said to call the number and tell them my issue and they would write it up and look into it and make a decision on whether or not to they will cover the repairs.
Did you check the oil level between oil changes? Was it consuming oil? High mileage GDI engines tend to consume oil and this can also clog up the catalytic converter. A clogged CAT can cause engine back pressure and higher engine temps which can cause excessive oil consumption. It's a vicious circle. The engine only holds approximately 3.74 quarts of oil so maybe it ran out of oil. Oil consumption is a common problem with GDI engines. As stated the recall doesn't cover the 2.0 NU engine but there is a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,935 Posts
Do you have any outstanding Recalls or Product Improvements on your 2017 2.0?

·
Registered
109 Posts
If it's only 4-5 years old and is just outside the 100,000-mile warranty, Kia really should do a goodwill coverage. I know they don't have to legally, but it's pretty crummy for Kia to wash their hands of this if it's been well maintained. I hope you are able to get a good resolution on this. Any car that blows an engine after just 4 or 5 years is faulty.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If the car was dealer maintained you could have asked for Kia to goodwill the engine and they probably would have as I've seen it a bunch of times. If you have good maintenance records showing oil changed and other required maintenance such as spark plugs, 15k fuel induction services etc.. they might still work with you on getting the engine covered but if you haven't done the maintenance recommended in your owner's manual chances are they won't.
Chances are your cat failed and caused the engine to work extra hard and hot and fail. I'm surprised you didn't notice a fuel mileage and performance drop off when it began to fail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought the latest recall, for the computer upgrade for the knock sensor increased the warranty to 12OK

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope this doesn't happen to me. I just got a 2016 Kia Soul+ in good shape but it has over 100,000 miles on it (California car). I love it and it runs really well. I noticed the cat converters were part of the exhaust manifold and thought that was just asking for trouble, since they generate so much heat and could cook the engine. I've seen so many people complaining about their 2.0 engines failing and Kia just shrugging it off. I had a regular mechanic check it out, but now I'm thinking on taking it to a dealer for fluids change and checkup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I own a 2017 Kia Soul 2.0. I am the only owner it was purchased brand new. I kept up with my maintenance and did everything I was supposed to do. However, 4 weeks ago after a day of shopping and no issues with the vehicle all of a sudden I am sitting at a stop sign getting ready to turn and the engine knocks a couple times and goes completely dead in the middle of the road! Now the 2 years prior to my vehicle were recalled for engine issues come to find out. But not mine. So I fork out thousands of dollars in labor and a new engine and they go to take the engine out and its not only the engine its also the catalytic convertor as well this is what my mechanic told me High exhaust temperatures damaged the catalytic converter causing engine combustion that damaged the engine's pistons causing the piston to throw in the engine...now again if you look up recalls on the catalytic converter you will find them...just not on mine with the 2.0 engine. So now I am told that the new catalytic convertor is another 1300 dollars which I do not have now after forking out for the engine. I am pissed. Something needs to be done about this because if all that wasn't bad enough I still owe 5000 on the vehicle that I thought was going to last for much longer. and I guess now hopefully it will with half the car going to be brand new again and thousands out of pocket.
I had to replace my catalytic converter, due to a fuel valve dumping gas down it. It was 99% blocked! It caused my 2015 plus 2.0 to barely get up a hill! This issue went under my Kia dealers radar. Luckily, I took it to my awesome mechanic in Cambridge WI, and he found and fixed the problem. I had them do an injector clean for good measure. My engine was fine. If your engine was overheating, that should have been covered under warranty. They love snaking out of it though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
They r ripping u off you should be covered not only for the cat but the new engine, you should definitely look into it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been looking into I called their recall number and they just said we'll your Vin doesn't show up on that recall. When I stated that I find it highly unlikely you guys recalled the same EXACT problem years prior and mine is not included in that recall isn't it more likely that my catalytic converter was produced at the same time and then put on my newer vehicle. I was told that yes it was likely but I would have to take it to a kia dealer to Cofirm...they should be able to go off the catalytic converter part number though! I told him that getting it 2 hours to the nearest dealer was going to be fairly costly and hard to do with no engine and no catalytic converter in it I mean I then want my tow bill covered as well I have now been without my vehicle for almost 2 months

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's only 4-5 years old and is just outside the 100,000-mile warranty, Kia really should do a goodwill coverage. I know they don't have to legally, but it's pretty crummy for Kia to wash their hands of this if it's been well maintained. I hope you are able to get a good resolution on this. Any car that blows an engine after just 4 or 5 years is faulty.
I took excellent care of my baby it's the first brand spanking new car that I have had. I did all maintenance on schedule. And like I said no issues at all besides a little loss of power it seemed Ike here and there but nothing that seemed concerning. Then just nothing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was
Did you check the oil level between oil changes? Was it consuming oil? High mileage GDI engines tend to consume oil and this can also clog up the catalytic converter. A clogged CAT can cause engine back pressure and higher engine temps which can cause excessive oil consumption. It's a vicious circle. The engine only holds approximately 3.74 quarts of oil so maybe it ran out of oil. Oil consumption is a common problem with GDI engines. As stated the recall doesn't cover the 2.0 NU engine but there is a class action lawsuit.
I had just gotten an oil change done and my mechanic confirmed oil level was good

1 - 16 of 16 Posts