Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can lend some help on this issue I would appreciate it.

I have only owned the car a month. The first time I used the washer/wipers, the windshield shows some sort of pattern as they move the water. It's hard to see it when just using the wipers, since it dries so fast. When it rained the other day however, the entire windshield shows this mosaic pattern. You can't see it during the day at all. Only when it's dark or overcast and raining due to contrast against the glass.

The pattern looks like what totally wet glass looks like after it rains, with irregular small circles, blotches and drip lines. The color and certain spots can be compared to what you see when window tinting has air bubbles. When you wipe it with a really wet rag, it reveals, and you can almost feel a different texture on the glass, as if it's extra slick or smooth. Then as the water dries you can see the blotch fade away.I have already used 2 glass cleaners, 91% alcohol in distilled water, denatured alcohol and lighter fluid and it won't come off.

When the windshield is dry, you can't see it at all, it's crystal clear.The back hatch glass has the same issue.

I took it to Kia last night, and they took the car in the back and said they can try an acid wash for the windows. I can't tell if it's worked yet, but after running a wet rag over the glass, I can still see these spots. The service manager told me if it's still there, I have to call Kia customer service and file an issue. This way they will pass it along and someone will call me from Kia to schedule an appointment to see it themselves. Dealership can't authorize glass replacement.

I found a pic from another forum, someone else with a different car, with the same issue that I can link...if I can find it again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine kinda does the same thing....

Look at griotsgarage.Com their glass claybat and finish polish.. I've use the fine polish and it makes the glass so clean. I will be picking up some clay this weekend and polish the windshield

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
since my wiper blades were changed at 15k service, i too have a pattern - like rows of arches that makes it a bit challenging in the rain but nothing when dry...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not trying to be funny, but are you wearing polarized glasses when you see the blotches? I see them, but only after getting polarized lenses, not before

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The tempering of the glass causes the blotches you see with polarized lenses. I'm wondering if having the glass wet gives the same effect as the polarized lenses, by redirecting light.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have polarized sunglasses and I don't see this problem on my Soul, though I've seen it on other cars. I wonder if Kia tempers the glass with the same direction of polarization for all of their windows. I would have to turn my head upside down to see it here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It's not polarized pattern, which is rainbow like consistent checkerboard pattern, and the glass doesn't need to be wet to see that. As I described, it resembles water spots and water trails that are dried and expose themselves when the windshield gets wet. I wear transition prescription glasses, not polarized ones, and my previous 6 Toyota's never had this issue.

If you have a glass shower door, and it gets water and soap drips that don't get wiped off, you see the pattern dry on the glass. This is what it looks like, except when the glass is dry, it's totally clear.

Mine entirely covers the entire area and cannot see. Auto glass guy in town, been around here for at least 25 years, told me not to try glass polish as it can distort the image if your not careful. Reluctant to clay bar as it a mild abrasive. If I knew wtf it was I would attempt something, but don't know how to approach it.

I hope the acid wash they tried works.

I see the clay on Griot's http://www.griotsgarage.com/product...c&keyword=+clay+bar&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Frankly, for a new car, shouldn't even be having to do this. I will keep addressing it at Kia. If they have to replace the glass, then they should. This is a safety issue. Here in south Florida, we have torrential rain in the summer where sometimes you can barely see the road with a clean windshield.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Does it look like it is from having vinyl cling stickers on it? I can sometimes still see where mine was.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Before spending a lot on various products just look under your kitchen sink and see if you have any bon ami - it will clean the glass perfectly and it is very inexpensive compared to the "new" products - you can divide the windshield into two halves and compare what happens to the problem when half is cleaned and half not - do not "wax" the glass - once you have the glass completely clean add nothing more than rain-x if you so desire -

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
a heavily wetted solution of non abrasive toothpaste makes a good screen cleaner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies everyone.

Last night at dusk, I tried a 50/50 of white vinegar and distilled water. Laid a soft rag on the glass and let it sit for 5 minutes, then rubbed the area till the whole thing was done. Then immediately rinsed it and towel dried it.

When wiping the glass down with a towel, the feint amount of water the towel spreads before it dries emits these marks, some of them looking like cloudy circles as you would see in bubbles in window tint. When wiping the glass with a soaked rag, the water will always coagulate in a consistent pattern, leaving what looks like a dryer water spot/trail pattern around it.

The tinted area of the glass, right above the wiper arms, and the entire back hatch has this. Seems whatever pattern the runoff makes, forms a pattern that shows up when wet. I already have front wiper "angels" that appear when I ran a wet rag over the glass.You can see the stop marks and sweep areas from the wipers already after running them maybe 6 times.

I scrubbed it with a soft bristle brush as well, not even the slightest change. I'm starting to think the glass is soft and anything that gets on it, will be permanent.

I have already heard of the Bon Ami trick, my local Win Dixee doesn't carry it, so will try that next.

Sad thing is Kia Cust Serv called the dealer and spoke to the SM who helped me. He never confirmed he could see it, and told Kia the same, so I'm in limbo for help from them

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Could the problem be on the inside of the glass instead of the outside?

Do these blotches impair your vision to the point where it is dangerous to drive?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
OK, I think I have seen what OP has been describing, But only seems to happen when it's humid out & I first get in the car. I run the a/c almost 24/7 & the anomaly disappears within 20 seconds. Happens day or night & I thought I only started noticing it after I had the inside of my windshield tinted. Not sure I saw it before. It looks just like bubbles in a bad window tint job, faintly, across the whole windshield. As quick as i notice this it goes away. I thought I was seeing things, but I think me & OP are seeing the same thing.
Only has happened may be 10 times in 2 years,
Only been humid here in phoenix 10 times in 2 years

Only waiting for the heat of summer to come & go, then I'm replacing the inside tinted original windshield that has 1 star & a few rock pit's.

:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been working on the windows now for weeks and have found that these blotches do get removed by using damp newspaper on a totally dry window and using some serious elbow grease, enough to get your hands cramped in the process. Have to rub it until you feel the glass grab the paper.Takes a long time to get a few square inches of window clean.

I have another appointment with Kia this Tues to have their detailer look at it. Problem is the side windows also have this running water drip pattern all over them too, and these are not cooperating with the newspaper removal. When soaking the windows, the water beads and runs off quickly and just adheres to these water patterns on the glass consistently. I've always seen water totally cover glass as you wet it and slowly dry. In this situation it reacts as if some coating is on the window.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After meeting with the detailer at the dealership, he tried many different things to try to remove this "film". He at least confirmed I'm not seeing things, he notices the blotches and a film like residue when you wet the glass.

He used 2 different detailer clays, 3m cleaning clay and another. He tried Meguires #26 wax and some other cleaner wax. Although it did smooth the window, we both confirmed when running newspaper over it rather hard, we can see where I cleaned the stuff off and where his portion did nothing. So the consensus was for me to use newspaper and I should be fine. I expressed concern that I might scratch the glass from this pressure of rubbing but he said it shouldn't be a worry.

After about 2 hours this Saturday, washing the windshield and cleaning it. I used some Windex and newspaper and rubbed it real hard as I have. Then I started the one of the side windows and noticed I made a nice 3" scratch in the side window as I rubbed the paper, and saw little swirl scratches starting. Really evident since the side windows are tinted. I immediately stopped and now am pissed.

This morning I get into the car to go to work, and the sun shining on the windshield, All I see is straight line scratches and tiny half circle swirl scratches all over it. It's friggin ruined.

Is there anything I can do here? I called the service manager this morn and he said to call when the Dealership manager is in tomorrow. I don't think I should have been left with the burden of fixing this issue myself since this car was delivered with the issue and now I'm in a worse mess because of it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Try using white distilled vinegar. o-o..
Spray it on and wipe. Just sayin' 'cause I used white vinegar to clean my Soul's windows today. xD

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already used vinegar, as I mentioned before. Let a rag sit on the window a bit to get it to loosen. It didn't work, nor did anything the detailer had.

Now the issue is beyond vinegar, totally ruined brand new windshield and side window. Dealership should have never made me responsible for tackling this issue myself. Called Kia Support and updated the case requesting a new windshield, as I did originally when I saw I couldn't get this off the first time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well after speaking to a Kia rep who met me at the dealership, he states there have been no reports to Kia about anything like this and they will not help me.He is aware that the remainder of my glass including the hatch has the substance on it and they will not help me.

He wouldn't answer a single question such as can he confirm this was handled correctly from the beginning, who takes responsibility for delivery with foreign substance on the glass, should I have driven the car with impaired vision and sued the company if I got into an accident? Does anyone take ownership of the issue or should I have been prepared to automatically replace the windshield as soon as I bought the car?

All he kept replying was we cannot help you and call the Better Business Bureau.

I didn't even get an offer to help on the cost to replace the glass.

I don't know why we even wasted time going through this since they do not do a thing to take ownership of issues, and basically let the dealerships do whatever they please.

Buy a KIA and be prepared to be blown off.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts