Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I got a canadian version kia soul 4 u burner edition. I was wondering if the block heater when cold out to plug in is standard equipment? Not sure if u have to order it from kia and get them to install it it's about -30 something out here in edmonton area alberta just wouldn't mind saving my block by plugging it in lol any help would be great.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
block heaters are not standard on any Kia unless dealer installed. This applied on quite lot of manufacturers.

Its listed on the Kia Canada website as an accessory at $69 for the part. You can get it from the dealer.

Kia Canada - Accessories

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Going off at a tangent slightly.... are these block heaters expensive to fit and run?..... does it run off the car battery or another source..... can they be diy fitted?.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
tempest, I'm surprised you know very little of what a block heater is...but then again, you probably do not use these in your neck of the woods.

From Wikipedia:

A block heater is an electric heater that heats the engine of a car to ease starting in cold weather.
They are connected to normal AC power overnight or before driving, via regular power plugs that are fed through or near a vehicle's grille or underneath near the front of the engine. Block heaters allows easier starting in cold temperatures, by keeping the coolant warm. Heaters are also available for motor oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate and warm the engine during startup. The rapid heat circulation caused by block heaters also aids the initial vaporization of fuel in the engine; because of this effect, block heaters reduce pollution, as poor fuel vaporization causes much higher emissions

To answer your questions..they are inexpensive to fit and can be a DIY job it depends on what you pay for your electric bill since it uses your electricity...

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
sounds like a good idea. My cars live outside and the winters are getting colder and longer. Thanks for that - i will see how much they are in this country.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
What the block heater looks like for the Soul (In Canada, at least) as shown in a smaller clickable pic in Conwelpic's post

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
with it being called a block heater i assumed it went into the engine block.... but the Diesel MB one appears to go into the radiator water system?....... will have to look into it more.

Cheers bud.

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
also make sure that you use a timer to kick in 1-2 hours before (depending on the outside temperatures) the need to drive as it doesn't need to be on all the time, just wastes electricity and costs more to operate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Black Burner...can you tell me if you went ahead and got the block heater. Im trying to price out my Soul here in Prince George and am curious how much I should allow for it. I see the online price of the heater, but cant find anything about installation. What was your final cost after installation if you dont mind me asking

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
at one time didn't they make an engine heater that was installed in the dipstick tube - or was that for air-cooled engines only ?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can buy after market dip stick oil heaters. I noticed that most of the public parking in Winnipeg and Edmonton had an accompanying 110V outlet so I would think that if you had a garage or dealer install it would be cheap as the block heater must be a common addition to all cars there. From the looks of the one shown, it just snaps in. where I don't know. But depending on the installation price it might be worth looking for a 3/8" or 1/4" plugged hole in the rad or oil pan. You can also buy after market heated battery blankets. I used to put a couple of trouble lights hanging in the engine bay on a timer for really cold spells.

·
Registered
15,164 Posts
tell me please part number of this heater. it's 110 only?
you may not get a reply as this thread is over 18 months old, also we don't know who you are directing your question too!

It would also help us if we knew where you were, Kyiv does not tell us much, what country, or state or province is that place located in and also details on your vehicle would be helpful too - makes it much easier for us to answer questions and respond to comments.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
you may not get a reply as this thread is over 18 months old, also we don't know who you are directing your question too!

It would also help us if we knew where you were, Kyiv does not tell us much, what country, or state or province is that place located in and also details on your vehicle would be helpful too - makes it much easier for us to answer questions and respond to comments.
Kiev, Ukraine

1 - 20 of 23 Posts