Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for ducks, this oil change I got the tech to catch some old oil for a lab test. I'm at around 13,500 miles and went long, for me on this change, about 5700 miles.

I used the new Hyundai dealer, next door to the KIA dealer who at the last O&F used all five quarts in the jug I left on the floor. The owner's manual says 3.8.
I suppose I should be glad the dealer is willing to use the oil I bring in. But OTOH $80-$90 for a syn oil change seems just a wee bit steep.

So for about 25 bucks for labor and the filter, and 22-23 bucks for five quarts of Pennz Plat, and $28 for Blackstone Labs to test the old oil, I'm still ahead of the standard price for a syn oil change.

Will post the results when they come in, hopefully next week.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just for ducks, this oil change I got the tech to catch some old oil for a lab test. I'm at around 13,500 miles and went long, for me on this change, about 5700 miles.

I used the new Hyundai dealer, next door to the KIA dealer who at the last O&F used all five quarts in the jug I left on the floor. The owner's manual says 3.8.
I suppose I should be glad the dealer is willing to use the oil I bring in. But OTOH $80-$90 for a syn oil change seems just a wee bit steep.

So for about 25 bucks for labor and the filter, and 22-23 bucks for five quarts of Pennz Plat, and $28 for Blackstone Labs to test the old oil, I'm still ahead of the standard price for a syn oil change.

So, what are you looking for from Blackstone Labs & what will you do with that information once obtained?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
With normal duty oil changes to be done at the 7k mile mark and such a low mileage vehicle, it seems like money wasted and moot information forthcoming.
Even if the report indicated some engine abnormality, I doubt a Kia dealership would put any stock or take any actions based upon it.
Sometimes I think we take ourselves and our souls a little too seriously in the pursuit of good auto care.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm just curious. I don't expect anything abnormal. This goes in the file. Blood test for the car.

It's my money. Geez, lighten up.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
"Blood test for the car"
Is your car feeling a bit anemic?
A little lethargic perhaps?
Was it out late drinking and smoking dope?

·
Registered
799 Posts
"Blood test for the car"
Is your car feeling a bit anemic?
A little lethargic perhaps?
Was it out late drinking and smoking dope?
Wish I was! I felt that way and found out it was jut a bad heart. My Soul is feeling very fine tho thank you! 1800 miles

·
Registered
227 Posts
There is a thought that test results will be all OK, because it is standart oil with standart complex of additives.

The most interesting thing with oil may be at the points where the temp is high enough (the point of contact between cylinder and piston ring). In that point due to high temp some oils may transform into some kind of goudron, which blocks the piston ring in its groove. After that the piston ring does not scrape off the oil properly and abnormal oil consumption appears.

I read one guy (owner of not dealer BMW service in Russia) takes different oils and roasts them at about 400C in the flask. Some oils give a little or a lot of goudron, but some does not give it at all. The worst oil in his rating is OEM BMW oil, which as he says killed many many engines.

I do not consider, that such test is very objective but it obviously contains suggestion of truth.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Sometimes I think we take ourselves and our souls a little too seriously..."
WTF is your issue here? "Taking ourselves too seriously?" I'm getting a freakin oil test, for lord's sake. Get a life.

This is supposedly a car enthusiast site.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
"WTF is your issue here?"

Let's see...could it be:
1-It's my money. Geez, lighten up
2-WTF is your issue here?
3-Get a life.

You're attitude leaves much to be desired.
I comment upon something and you get all huffy.
Gee...wonder what My problem is???

·
Registered
11 Posts

Personally, I think getting the Blackstone test is a cool idea. I should do that with my 2009 Cobalt SS Turbo. I had a check engine light they told me was for carbon fouling in one of the cylinders. I put in some Seafoam and within a couple of hundred miles the check engine light went off by itself. FWIW. By the way, I just reached about 1500 miles in my Soul and I was contemplating my first oil change. I usually like doing them in my new cars before 2000. What do you think is a good point to do the first one? I definitely won't be waiting until 7500 miles, I can tell you that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts