Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Automatic transmissions and myself have always had a strained relationship. I loved having my 5 speed tiburon for 10 years but when it suddenly died, I didn't have time to shop around for a manual trans Soul, so I opted for the 6 speed auto. I bought it at 37,100 miles. At 39,500 miles, I decided to install an aftermarket transmission cooler after the stock unit to reduce the temps some. Supposedly the optimum temperature our trannys like is around 120-140'F. I recently purchased an UltraGauge and have been monitoring the temps, and our transmissions run hot! In city driving, it can easily get up to 210'F and in highway driving it'll stabilize around 195'F.

Now remember our transmission is a "sealed" unit and is "lifetime" fluid. The lifetime is as long as the warranty is, in our case 100,000 miles. Attached is the transmission oil analysis from Blackstone labs. I took a sample of the fluid when I installed the external cooler. Blackstone commented that the fluid is breaking down already, which would make to think that the fluid would slowly destroy the transmission right around when the warranty would expire. So it would be prudent to change your transmission fluid every 40-50,000 miles and an external cooler is very beneficial for our beloved Soul's. 13 SOUL-TR-080216-edited.jpg 13 SOUL-TR-080216-edited.jpg 13 SOUL-TR-080216-edited.jpg

·
Registered
992 Posts
Automatic transmissions and myself have always had a strained relationship. I loved having my 5 speed tiburon for 10 years but when it suddenly died, I didn't have time to shop around for a manual trans Soul, so I opted for the 6 speed auto. I bought it at 37,100 miles. At 39,500 miles, I decided to install an aftermarket transmission cooler after the stock unit to reduce the temps some. Supposedly the optimum temperature our trannys like is around 120-140'F. I recently purchased an UltraGauge and have been monitoring the temps, and our transmissions run hot! In city driving, it can easily get up to 210'F and in highway driving it'll stabilize around 195'F.

Now remember our transmission is a "sealed" unit and is "lifetime" fluid. The lifetime is as long as the warranty is, in our case 100,000 miles. Attached is the transmission oil analysis from Blackstone labs. I took a sample of the fluid when I installed the external cooler. Blackstone commented that the fluid is breaking down already, which would make to think that the fluid would slowly destroy the transmission right around when the warranty would expire. So it would be prudent to change your transmission fluid every 40-50,000 miles and an external cooler is very beneficial for our beloved Soul's.
Can't say I'm surprised. 30,000 miles or every 3 years is about my comfort zone for changing transmission fluid of ANY type. My current plan is to once per year simply gravity drain 4-5 quarts from my trans pan while changing my engine oil.
Greg

·
Registered
811 Posts

Now remember our transmission is a "sealed" unit and is "lifetime" fluid. The lifetime is as long as the warranty is, in our case 100,000 miles. Attached is the transmission oil analysis from Blackstone labs. I took a sample of the fluid when I installed the external cooler. Blackstone commented that the fluid is breaking down already, which would make to think that the fluid would slowly destroy the transmission right around when the warranty would expire. So it would be prudent to change your transmission fluid every 40-50,000 miles and an external cooler is very beneficial for our beloved Soul's.
I was wondering if you tow with your vehicle?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Great info, thanks... I never thought about it or realized that the trans is a sealed unit.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
Degeek, where did you get your gauge and what did it cost? I'm about ready to pony up for one. And maybe one for my wife's 2001 PT too.

Seems like an inexpensive way to get lots of information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it directly from ultra-gauge.com and with the mounting bracket and shipping it came out to just under $100. I love it as it was a nice upgrade from my older scangauge that I had in my tiburon.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
You can also use your smartphone to get this information. You will need to buy an ODB-II to Bluetooth adapter and a couple of pieces of software, minus the phone it will run you around $32.

You can customize the display to your hearts content with many different themes and sensors.

$22 Bluetooth ODB-II adapter.... Many variations available, this is the one I chose based on advice and reviews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$5 Torque Pro App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

$5 Advanced KIA plugin for more sensors that are not part of the ODB-II standard. (transmission, fuel, valve train, etc)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ideeo.kyadvanced&hl=en

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can also use your smartphone to get this information. You will need to buy an ODB-II to Bluetooth adapter and a couple of pieces of software, minus the phone it will run you around $32.

You can customize the display to your hearts content with many different themes and sensors.

$22 Bluetooth ODB-II adapter.... Many variations available, this is the one I chose based on advice and reviews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$5 Torque Pro App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

$5 Advanced KIA plugin for more sensors that are not part of the ODB-II standard. (transmission, fuel, valve train, etc)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ideeo.kyadvanced&hl=en
This is another viable option. The only reason I didn't use this is I also use the mpg calculations on the ultragauge and didn't want to keep pulling my phone out everytime I got into the car and connect to the bluetooth.

As for the Advanced Kia plugin, have you used it on our soul's? I have the transmission temp settings translated so I can display it on my ultragauge, but I can't get the extended PID info ripped out of the plugin APK so I can convert them for use in the ultragauge. There's some nice gauges I'd love to see.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
This is another viable option. The only reason I didn't use this is I also use the mpg calculations on the ultragauge and didn't want to keep pulling my phone out everytime I got into the car and connect to the bluetooth.

As for the Advanced Kia plugin, have you used it on our soul's? I have the transmission temp settings translated so I can display it on my ultragauge, but I can't get the extended PID info ripped out of the plugin APK so I can convert them for use in the ultragauge. There's some nice gauges I'd love to see.
Yes, you need that to see the stuff about the transmission. Here are the sensors that adds to Torque Pro:

ATF Temp
Current Gear
CVVT Oil Temp
DT1 Calc
Fuel Cut
Injector Duty Cycle
Injector Pulse Width
Knock Detected
Knock Ret Cyl 1
Knock Ret Cyl 2
Knock Ret Cyl 3
Knock Ret Cyl 4
Output Speed
Requested Torque
Torque Convertor Slip
Turbine Speed
Wide Open Throttle

I use Moto E that I picked up from Best Buy last year for $20 on a clearance sale. It's on a vent mount for displaying this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you have the actual running plugin, is there any way for you to pull the PID codes out of torque and post them or are they inaccessible?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Since you have the actual running plugin, is there any way for you to pull the PID codes out of torque and post them or are they inaccessible?
I suppose a screenshot would work on Android. I think you press the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time. It's never not captured anything I've asked it to that way, but I've never tried it using Torque.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts