Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my entire 2012 Kia Soul base car painted as a gift for my daughter's 16 birthday and will be her car, but noticed that they damaged the top black part of the rear door window. The metal is now exposed. They said they will fix it at no charge and it is vinyl door tape. I looked online and closest images and info I can find is "blackout tape". Same thing?

How hard is this to do and do correctly?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,214 Posts
Reactions: jdmartin and Narsil

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Had my entire 2012 Kia Soul base car painted as a gift for my daughter's 16 birthday and will be her car, but noticed that they damaged the top black part of the rear door window. The metal is now exposed. They said they will fix it at no charge and it is vinyl door tape. I looked online and closest images and info I can find is "blackout tape". Same thing?

How hard is this to do and do correctly?
View attachment 134325 View attachment 134326
It's simple for someone who knows what they are doing. It's held on by adhesive. A body shop would use a heat gun to warm it and remove it, or just yank on it and use solvent to clean the rest of the adhesive, then put a new piece on.

If you've never done it yourself I wouldn't recommend trying it. You usually only get one shot to get it right without air bubbles. Since they take responsibility, why not just let them fix it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's simple for someone who knows what they are doing. It's held on by adhesive. A body shop would use a heat gun to warm it and remove it, or just yank on it and use solvent to clean the rest of the adhesive, then put a new piece on.

If you've never done it yourself I wouldn't recommend trying it. You usually only get one shot to get it right without air bubbles. Since they take responsibility, why not just let them fix it?
Yep, that's the plan. I just wanted to get verification that the body shop is telling me the truth since I am clueless about that stuff. I want to go in at least "appearing" to know what I want done and the way that they should fix it. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can paint the tape. I know it sounds weird but there is a spray paint by SEM called Color Coat Satin Black #15243 from National body shop supply store called Finishmaster.(they are online and have stores) We have one here in Daytona Beach. The can of spray paint is about $15.00. It's a flexible paint made for this purpose. I've used it for exactly the problem you have. Just mask off the trim, door paint and windows you don't want to paint.
I've also used it to paint the black curved rubber trim at the back of the window on both the driver and passenger sides. Since I had problems with water spots on that rubber trim that I couldn't get rid of. Masked and painted that trim about a week and a half ago and ran my 2017 Soul base thru commercial car wash 3 times since with no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts