Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my 2016 base soul, under the hood by the venting cowl, there are foam squares.
They seem to be taped on , P_20190212_094810_p_1.jpg d one on the left side is loose and is coming off is it necessary for that to be flush? Do they serve a purpose photo included. If anyone has the same issue maybe that is the way they're supposed to be?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's not on your car? It looks like it blocks leaves or something to get into the venting cowl. Is it on anybody else's Kia Soul?

I've included additional photos right left side of the hood respectfully let me know what you think?. P_20190212_145117_p_1.jpg P_20190212_145230_p_1_1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
You are right, these photos are much clearer. It does not look like residue. I will check my car to see what I have there. Sorry, due for catarac surgery next month (got both eyes to do), maybe then I can see it better on the computer.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
207 Posts
It's not on your car? It looks like it blocks leaves or something to get into the venting cowl. Is it on anybody else's Kia Soul? ...
I have "similar" foam pieces on my 2014 base. The difference is they are not as long as the ones on your car.

Mine are maybe an inch & a half long (rear edge to front edge)- starting I think in the rear the same spot as yours, but only going towards the front of the car about a third of the way.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
207 Posts
Are they glued or taped and are they loose on the edges??
Glued. The glue along one edge has weakened and so the foam piece is not being held firm to the plastic it is attached to.

Also they were not cut / sized to be an exact / tight fit, there is a small triangular opening (~1/4in length) above the rear top corner of each foam piece.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Could that access be for a windshield washer or other part to repair of adjust? Or, is that plastic part used on more than one model Kia and that rubber closes gaps? When a car manufacturer will not put a spare wheel into the care it does not make sense they would waste money on a useless piece of rubber.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I am not sure kind of puzzled, anybody else with a 2016 with the same issue?
I just checked on my 2016 SX and it has the exact same foam pieces in that location, but they are not loose, I think it's just to prevent large debris from getting into the cowl area.
Till you mentioned it, I had never really noticed it before.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I say loose I mean it's coming off just like in the picture a little bit glue is not holding firmly is that how yours is?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
When I say loose I mean it's coming off just like in the picture a little bit glue is not holding firmly is that how yours is?
hard to say as it's held in place, if it was loose I would probably hold it in place with a bit of silicone as some types of glues can eat foam. However I would remove it completely first and then I can determine what I would actually do to correct it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I was washing my Ford Expedition today and thought of this thread so I checked to see if it had "foam rubber" in he same location. It does. Just to make another guess I will say it is to cleanout under the vent between windshield and hood without removing that piece.

Since I will not tear the cars apart to make sure I would guess there may be vents there that get clogged by leaves/pine needles or other junk and sometimes need cleaned out.

Still just a guess but at least now it is known to not be just a Soul design piece.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts