Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My daughter bought a previously loved 2011. She loves it.

All is well except the previous owner handed us 2 fobs in bits and pieces when we took the car. The key blade had fallen out of one, the other was missing completely. Both fobs were original and beat up pretty bad.

So, off to Amazon I go to order a new shell assembly to swap things over.

First fob arrives. Swap the internal chip and battery over, swap the existing key blade over, and everything seems good. Except it won't start the car. It seems that the security system / immobilizer wasn't recognizing the internal chip anymore and the car would crank but not actually start. However, if you "stacked" the second (still old and original) fob and held them together at the ignition while cranking, it seemed to recognize things again and would start. Lastly, the key blank on this new fob was a laser-cut style and the actual key is a grind cut, so the Amazon seller sent the wrong style..

Never did figure out what the heck was going on with the security chip but my daughter has spent the last month doing the "stack the keys" thing every time she wants to start the car.

So, I order a second keyfob from Amazon. Different seller. Arrives a few days ago. Still the wrong style blade despite being advertised for 2011's, frig. Anyhow, I swap the internals over from the second (old) key fob that was working but had no blade, and I also swap the blade itself from the other aftermarket keyfob. Exact same issue, the car cranks but won't start. Now even holding the 2 fobs together (now both in the new plastic cases) doesn't work and it won't start.

Confused, I swap the internals back over into the crusty old beat up Kia original fob, as well as the blade again. Car starts immediately.

Best as I can tell the only difference here is the plastic bits. There doesn't seem to be an antenna or anything in the old fob that the new plastic shells are lacking. I don't get it.

Anyone ever had this issue? Is the plastic too thick in one spot or something on the new aftermarket fobs and the signal from the chip not making it through to the ignition switch properly because of such?

I suppose we could just take it to a Kia dealer, but I suspect it will be a drastically more expensive adventure in the end.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
344 Posts
Yours must be different from my daughters 2010 as it will start with a plain key(no fob at all) and run just fine.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
820 Posts
I suppose we could just take it to a Kia dealer, but I suspect it will be a drastically more expensive adventure in the end.
Most good locksmiths sell modern car keys at a fraction the cost from a dealership. I would start there. At the very least they be able to offer advice about why your replacement fobs aren't working.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did some more reading. Canadian models have the immobilized option the ones in the USA do not. So I’m assuming it’s the immobilizer doing this, but is it not part of the key fob internals? With them moved over to then new fob case I’m left wondering why the issue continues. That’s the mystery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all. My daughter bought a previously loved 2011. She loves it.

All is well except the previous owner handed us 2 fobs in bits and pieces when we took the car. The key blade had fallen out of one, the other was missing completely. Both fobs were original and beat up pretty bad.

So, off to Amazon I go to order a new shell assembly to swap things over.

First fob arrives. Swap the internal chip and battery over, swap the existing key blade over, and everything seems good. Except it won't start the car. It seems that the security system / immobilizer wasn't recognizing the internal chip anymore and the car would crank but not actually start. However, if you "stacked" the second (still old and original) fob and held them together at the ignition while cranking, it seemed to recognize things again and would start. Lastly, the key blank on this new fob was a laser-cut style and the actual key is a grind cut, so the Amazon seller sent the wrong style..

Never did figure out what the heck was going on with the security chip but my daughter has spent the last month doing the "stack the keys" thing every time she wants to start the car.

So, I order a second keyfob from Amazon. Different seller. Arrives a few days ago. Still the wrong style blade despite being advertised for 2011's, frig. Anyhow, I swap the internals over from the second (old) key fob that was working but had no blade, and I also swap the blade itself from the other aftermarket keyfob. Exact same issue, the car cranks but won't start. Now even holding the 2 fobs together (now both in the new plastic cases) doesn't work and it won't start.

Confused, I swap the internals back over into the crusty old beat up Kia original fob, as well as the blade again. Car starts immediately.

Best as I can tell the only difference here is the plastic bits. There doesn't seem to be an antenna or anything in the old fob that the new plastic shells are lacking. I don't get it.

Anyone ever had this issue? Is the plastic too thick in one spot or something on the new aftermarket fobs and the signal from the chip not making it through to the ignition switch properly because of such?

Thoughts?
I had a similar issue with the garbage OEM fob, but once I swapped everything over to the new Amazon she'll(s?), it worked like a charm. And I have the Exclaim model (2012). I don't think mine has a transponder or anything like that as I went and had a $3 key cut/copied from the original blade, and it started just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts