Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently purchased my 2012 Kia Soul ! and have done some mileage calculations. I was getting close to 60MPG and I knew that couldn't be right, so I got TripLog on my phone to log my miles. I went on a 15.5 mile drive according to the app, and the Odometer went up by 30 miles. That's pretty much exactly double. I plan to take it to the dealership soon. Has anyone else had something this happen? I did some research into it and couldn't really find anything concerning it. Figured maybe it's a sensor issue or something. Feels fishy though, since it's at 56k miles.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
how do you know the app is accurate?

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
296 Posts
Wow, I wonder how long that has been going on? Does the vehicle only have half the displayed mileage? You say you just bought it recently and it has 56k on it,right? You may have a gem there. I'd be at the dealership giving a demo as soon as I could arrange it. That simply has got to be fixed or it will screw with the value of the vehicle.

I'd venture a guess you aren't getting 60 mpg, that is for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I intend on visiting my local dealership soon. I wonder what it'll do to the warranty.. I'll be sure and post updates here once I talk to them.

If it is counting double the miles, then I'd be getting 30MPG which is fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Have you possibly reset the odometer to read kilometers?

I bought my son a Focus a few months ago that had lived its early life in Montreal. Took us days to get it to stop reporting stuff in kM, deg-C and warning messages in French.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Have you possibly reset the odometer to read kilometers?

I bought my son a Focus a few months ago that had lived its early life in Montreal. Took us days to get it to stop reporting stuff in kM, deg-C and warning messages in French.
I'm not aware that you can change a Soul that normally reads kilometer to miles without replacement of the complete instrument cluster. I can change the temperature from C to F if I wish but certainly not the distance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's definitely not reading Kilometers, at least not accurately, since again, the mileage counted is very close to double the miles I'm actually driving. The odometer also displays mi. I took it to a dealership and they had it for a few hours and told me they'd need a whole day to adjust it, so I guess I'm taking it back on my next day off.

On a side note, dealing with this dealership service is weird. Instead of the guy I first talked to that actually worked on the car, some desk guy came and talked to me about it and would answer all my questions with, "I don't know." Guess I should've asked to talk to the mechanic. Noticed the same thing happening with a couple others waiting for their car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update, looks like it'll take several days and new parts. They'll have had it for over a week before it gets fixed. They gave me a loaner to drive, another Soul, newer model. As far as a cause or how long it's been that way, as expected they tell me they have no way of knowing. I'll ask if I'm screwed on the warranty. On the bright side, it has much less actual mileage on it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Why are you worried about your warranty so much? It is OVER at 60K. You said you just bought the car, you have NO idea how long this problem has been going on. Could have started a week or 2 before you bought the car? Being you bought it used, there is no powertrain warranty. As long it was not Kia certified used from a Kia dealership.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
When I once consulted my Service Manager, about my speedOmeter not being accurate, he told me that as long as it was within 10% of accurate, Kia would not do anything about it.

But if mine were reading DOUBLE what I was actually doing, I'd be all over Kia like white on rice, to get it fixed.
It's a HUGE safety measure. And if they didn't want to fix it, I'd tell them, "See you in court!".
Then I'd call my local newspaper and TV stations, and even the radio station and tell them about it.
Bad press can get a car dealer off their dead arse and moving real quick.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They fixed it under warranty. It needed new parts. As to how long it's been this way, there's really no way to know so... who knows what the actual mileage is. I'm just happy to have my baby back (I actually got it back a few days later, just forgot to drop an update).

·
Registered
381 Posts
They fixed it under warranty. It needed new parts. As to how long it's been this way, there's really no way to know so... who knows what the actual mileage is. I'm just happy to have my baby back (I actually got it back a few days later, just forgot to drop an update).
It's good to hear that the car is back to normal. That was a very bizarre problem.
I have a '16 with almost 10K miles on it. I'm hoping for smooth sailing.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
thanks for giving us an update, what exactly was the problem and what parts were needed?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts