Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen much talk about this but does anybody have bike racks mounted on their Soul? Looking for pictures and specs if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did a curtis hitch with a Thule swing away 4 bike rack. I have photos on my iphone. I will try to put them on tonight if I get time. I love the set up and I don't have to climb on top to load and unload.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been looking into roof racks for a while now.

One of the best sites I keep coming back to is http://www.prolineracks.com/ Since my roof is Kia's "Naked American Model," I am looking at their racks, and rails and crossbars to make up for the slick-top look.

I am planning on adding a basket as well, quite possibly the Black Widow model from amazon.com
Here's a link... http://www.amazon.com/Black-Widow-R..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1252890595&sr=1-1

The proline stuff has alot of options, and the Amazon.com has always been safe to deal with.

Hope this helps ya!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to resurrect an old thread but I have a question for Hideki...or any opnions from the Forum...

How is the Perrycraft Dyna Sport rack holding up? I'm wondering if there are any issues with it attaching to the roof at the 4 corner points when it's loaded. I see the Yakima and Thule options have a continuous rail to disperse weight along the roof, are you seeing any indents or stress on the roof panel with just the 4 mounting points under load?

Thanks for your input...love your Soul.

Evan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a curtis hitch with a Thule swing away 4 bike rack. I have photos on my iphone. I will try to put them on tonight if I get time. I love the set up and I don't have to climb on top to load and unload.
Just joined the forum after a Google search brought me to this post. Do you still have those pictures of the bike rack you installed? I know it was awhile since you posted, but I just got a Soul a few weeks ago and I'm now looking for ways to transport bikes with it. Not too interested in a roof solution, so I'd love to see how your solution worked out, and how it's going now. Any problems?

I did find another thread discussing trailer hitches more in-depth, but most of the posts there were very recent, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on how your hitch is working a year later. Any long-term/gradual problems, or is everything good?

·
Registered
518 Posts
A hitch rack is the only way to go... doesn't touch the paint, and keeps the bikes out of the wind for better mileage and, unless it rains, a cleaner bike. No bugs! 1 1/4" Curt hitch at $150ish (easy install, easier than most roof racks!) and a 1 1/4" Craigslist bike rack for $100, you're golden. Of course, it doesn't carry kayaks... or Home Depot lumber... that's what trailers are for!

·
Registered
274 Posts
A hitch rack is the only way to go... doesn't touch the paint, and keeps the bikes out of the wind for better mileage and, unless it rains, a cleaner bike. No bugs! 1 1/4" Curt hitch at $150ish (easy install, easier than most roof racks!) and a 1 1/4" Craigslist bike rack for $100, you're golden. Of course, it doesn't carry kayaks... or Home Depot lumber... that's what trailers are for!
You really have to strap or bungee a hanging rack to keep the bike pedal or front wheel from hitting the car. Saris makes a strap for the front wheel and you can use pretty much anything to keep the pedals and back wheel from moving.

To protect from the weather while transporting you can get a hitch bike cover.

If the only intention for installing a hitch is a hitch mounted bike rack, you don't even need to run the four prong trailer wiring which should reduce the cost and simplify installation. Also, depending on how often you plan to use the carrier, you can get a really cheap hitch mount hanging bike rack from Harbor Freight Tools. In the stores they sell for $29.99 and you can cut a 20% off coupon out of the back of many magazines to bring it below $25. It's a really basic tilting rack (it's actually the same one sold under the 'Bell' brand name at Sports Authority and Target for $65-$100). The velcro/rubber bike mounts may tear with frequent use but the rack is the same size as the Thule Parkway so you can replace them with Thule T3 cradles and straps. You could even add the Thule T3 anti sway cages or drill a hole and add a Thule zip stick to reduce sway, but a less expensive alternative would be just using Grip Twists.

If you plan to use the rack a bit more often and don't have more than two bikes, Performance Bicycle sells a XPort 2 bike tray rack in their stores for $149.99 and they often have an addt'l % off coupon/sale to bring the price down even more. It's actually a Sportrack 2ez sold under the Performance brand. You can load the bikes quickly, it's very secure and you don't have to mess with any other straps, bungees or ties.

With a hitch mounted carrier, you don't have to lift the bikes very far either.

·
Registered
518 Posts
^^ what sev24sev said! That's a great rack for the money. The arms don't fold down, but you can probably replace the bolts with clevis pins and quick-release the arms themselves. Yes, hitch racks sometimes sway, but that's not a big deal, they aren't going anywhere.

Also, a long strap run through the wheels and the rack base can secure the bikes well.

Does anyone remember toe clips? Well, toe clip STRAPS are about the most useful things known to man (right up there with zipties and duct tape). Use a toe clip strap or two to keep wheels from turning, and secure the bikes either to each other or to the rack.

·
Registered
595 Posts
^^^^^
To keep the wheels straight just run a bungee through the front and back wheels, in a loop. That keeps the front straight and the back from turning, which keeps the pedals from turning.

Toe straps are handy, nice for clamping brake levers, but kind of short for this application. The velcro straps for wrapping pants leg, to keep away from chain, are good too, for clamping brakes, etc, during repairs.

There is a Thule 4-bike rack on sale now, that would be a good deal. Even though it will hold 4 bikes, they are nice for 2, because you can space them out, a little more.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031443_-1_400019_400007_400019
The 4-bike is less expensive than the 3-bike.

Has anyone been pulling front wheel with a road bike and hauling in back with seat down?
I hardly ever haul my bike, where I live, I just ride from home, so I hate to spend at least $200 for a trailer hitch and a rack. As far as a roof rack, I'm about 5"9" and would not want to be reaching up to the roof to secure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
^^^^^
To keep the wheels straight just run a bungee through the front and back wheels, in a loop. That keeps the front straight and the back from turning, which keeps the pedals from turning.

Toe straps are handy, nice for clamping brake levers, but kind of short for this application. The velcro straps for wrapping pants leg, to keep away from chain, are good too, for clamping brakes, etc, during repairs.

There is a Thule 4-bike rack on sale now, that would be a good deal. Even though it will hold 4 bikes, they are nice for 2, because you can space them out, a little more.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031443_-1_400019_400007_400019
The 4-bike is less expensive than the 3-bike.

Has anyone been pulling front wheel with a road bike and hauling in back with seat down?
I hardly ever haul my bike, where I live, I just ride from home, so I hate to spend at least $200 for a trailer hitch and a rack. As far as a roof rack, I'm about 5"9" and would not want to be reaching up to the roof to secure.
You don't even have to take the wheel off. If you maneuver it right, you can get a bike in the back with the back seats down. You just have to put it in front first and turn the wheel so that it sits vertically in the space behind the front seats. You'll have just enough room to close the hatch.

You can't make the Harbor Freight rack tilt, the top sits on the vertical bar like a cap. You could use wing nuts and just lift it off but it's not worth it.

Using a bungee between the wheels will prevent them from moving but the crank can still move backwards (freewheel). You don't want the pedal hitting the car if you brake hard so it's best to secure it to something.

·
Registered
595 Posts
^^^^^
I've been hauling my bikes on a couple of 3-bike racks, that strap from trunk, to bottom of the bumper, and rest on the back of the car. I usually put a pad between the chainrings and rear bumper, securing the bike to the rack with a second bungee, along with the straps that hold the frame to the rack. I always put thright side pedal, alittle forward of straight up and down.
I have never had the crank move backward from braking. You would have to be doing some crazy manuveur while turning for it go backwards.
You know, it just got me thinking, I always put the bike on with the chainrings to the inside. I guess it is because I'm usually on the left side of the bike when off it.

My point was, and stands that if you run a bungee through both wheels in a loop it will keep the front wheel straight, and the crank from going forward. Like I said, I also secured to the rack, but I have seen people with the receiver racks, just let them hang, doing what I mentioned. As long as there is enough clearance to the front, it would be ok. Of course I have also seen people with the wheels spinning while driving. Not something I would do.

I agree about taking plenty of precautions. Two cars ago, it was the bike I was concerned about, the last car, both, and with the Soul, now the car first, bike second.
If I haul it in the back, I'll just take off the front wheel. With a quick release it is no big deal, and will make it a lot easier getting in and out. It is good to know it would fit, either way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I didn't mean that braking would cause the pedals to move, I just meant that if you don't secure them, you can still pedal backwards even if the wheels are stopped. I used a hanging hitch mount carrier and scratched the car while mounting the bike just because the pedal reached the car. I could only imagine what could have happened if I had driven without tying it to the brace.

My bike has pinhead locks on it so it doesn't have a quick release front wheel. Well it does but you have to use a special key, it's just easier to leave it on. I've only had to move it twice unexpectedly so I found it fit in the back with it on.

So you use a trunk rack, not hitch mount?

·
Registered
595 Posts
^^^^^^
I did with my last cars. I was driving a 1984 Toyota Corolla SR5 when I bought a Rhode Gear 3-bike rack. I had a problem with eventually with straps breaking. They didn't have any replacement straps, so they sent me a newer model. I only have used the new one maybe three times. The old one was fine, I had enough straps for one bike. On my last car a 2002 Ford ZX2 I only put the rack on a few times, as that car was in good condition. Although the rack didn't do any damage.
I wouldn't use a trunk rack on my Soul, even though it is possible that it would fit.

Why the Pinhead locks? Do you leave your bike unattended? I only ride for exercise and enjoyment, so when either of my bikes is out of the house, I'm with it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No reason other than the bike came with them. Although I do ride around DC a lot so even if I leave the bike for a short period of time, it's easier than running a cable through everything or taking the wheel off to lock up.

On my last bike, I only used the quick release once and sat my bike on a concrete floor. The paint on the bottom of the fork chipped, eventually rusting. It made me mad so I probably wouldn't take the wheel off to lock up even if I could.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bike Rack is Yakima High Roller.
Link to Yakima High Roller:
Yakima HighRoller - Yakima Roof Mount Bike Racks

Here are some pixs:

Roof rack made by Perrycraft DynaSport
Link to Perrycraft:
Perrycraft DynaSport Roof Rack

Our site sponsor Shark Racing, is also seeling roof rack. Here's the link:
Shark Racing
I like that way the perry craft rack looks. does anyone who has one know how they hold up over time. im not interested in the hitch rack. i would rather put the bike inside. but i dont think my mountain bike will fit unless i take both wheels off. im 6'5 so there big bikes.
ive looked at the thule rack. looks good but i would rather use the roof mounts then clamp it to the doors. looks like the pery craft on will use those mounts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts