Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are tons of posts about using a bike rack on a Kia Soul, however, I am looking to get my first bike in a couple of weeks.

For the 2020 Kia Soul can I use a trunk rack, what do you all suggest or should I just drop some money on a hitch and how hard is it to install? Something I can do myself with help from my dad or will I need to set up an appointment at the garage?

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
233 Posts
You can use a trunk rack though I haven't been exactly comfortable with how they secure to the flat back of my Soul. I wouldn't transport my bike very far with it. I didn't go cheap either-- I have a Saris Bones.

I'm getting a hitch and hitch mounted rack soon. You can buy a hitch from Uhaul and they'll install it for like $220 total.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
237 Posts
I had one installed (expensive) but the last one I had on a Fiat was done by my son in about 45 minutes. Nothing you couldn't do yourself, and instructons were good.

I use a 1-Up rack, and had no issues on the Fiat - not anticipating any on the Soul..

Yeah - the bike looks like it shrank between cars... :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's been a while, but I ended up getting a saris bones 2 bike rack. The most I will be driving with the bike is from Charlotte to the Virginia Creeper Trail or the New River Trail and if I feel too unsafe, I can always lay my seats down and lay the bike in the car...I think. I also have been loading it weekly on my car just to drive and see if I am comfortable with it on the back of the car driving the interstate; I haven't gotten that comfortable, but such is life, I wasn't dropping another $300 for a hitch and hitch rack...

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
265 Posts
If it helps ease your worries, i have used that style bike rack for years now. I have even taken multiple trips to the outer banks, from upstate new york, with a trunk mounted rack, in a convertible, with two bikes, and had no real issues.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That does make me feel better, unfortunately Saris and Trek said if I use just the Bones 2 and not the Bones EX 2/3 then my warranty is void: so it’s off to the Bike shop today to get a hitch rack. I just really hate laying out $150 for a trailer hitch plus installation, then another $150+ to pay for a rack…oh well no one said biking is cheap

·
Registered
45 Posts
That does make me feel better, unfortunately Saris and Trek said if I use just the Bones 2 and not the Bones EX 2/3 then my warranty is void: so it’s off to the Bike shop today to get a hitch rack. I just really hate laying out $150 for a trailer hitch plus installation, then another $150+ to pay for a rack…oh well no one said biking is cheap
I have a hitch rack on my Soul, you're going to love it!

One thing to think about: If you're going to be carrying 1 or 2 regular pedal bikes (approximately 30 lbs each) you will be fine with a standard 1 1/4" hitch receiver, thats what I got. However, I recently bought an eBike which are generally much heavier (my eBike is 50 lbs, most are heavier than that) you will need a 2" receiver installed because thats what almost all of the really heavy duty hitch racks require.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
233 Posts
I have the Bones 2. It is definitely not a good fit for a Soul. It’s no wonder it voids your warranty. No matter how I adjust the straps and arms, the upper arm comes off the hatch with a bike on it. The EX fixes that problem. It’s fine for short trips but I wouldn’t go on bumpy roads or the highway with it— I definitely wouldn’t put two bikes on it.

I had a hitch installed and plan on getting one of the super light hitch racks. Kuat and Saris both make one that’s only 14 or 15 pounds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Bones 2. It is definitely not a good fit for a Soul. It’s no wonder it voids your warranty. No matter how I adjust the straps and arms, the upper arm comes off the hatch with a bike on it. The EX fixes that problem. It’s fine for short trips but I wouldn’t go on bumpy roads or the highway with it— I definitely wouldn’t put two bikes on it.

I had a hitch installed and plan on getting one of the super light hitch racks. Kuat and Saris both make one that’s only 14 or 15 pounds.
I am definitely looking at Kuat's Transfer V2 right now. Since I do a lot of riding alone, it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a hitch rack on my Soul, you're going to love it!

One thing to think about: If you're going to be carrying 1 or 2 regular pedal bikes (approximately 30 lbs each) you will be fine with a standard 1 1/4" hitch receiver, thats what I got. However, I recently bought an eBike which are generally much heavier (my eBike is 50 lbs, most are heavier than that) you will need a 2" receiver installed because thats what almost all of the really heavy duty hitch racks require.
I just got my hitch yesterday, since it was aftermarket, I couldn't get anything more than a 1.25 class 1 hitch. Which is fine, I will only be carrying my mountain bike to trail heads. Now to pick out a carrier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had one installed (expensive) but the last one I had on a Fiat was done by my son in about 45 minutes. Nothing you couldn't do yourself, and instructons were good.

I use a 1-Up rack, and had no issues on the Fiat - not anticipating any on the Soul..

Yeah - the bike looks like it shrank between cars... :)

View attachment 136686 View attachment 136687
how do you like your tire only holders? do you think they are safe for interstate driving? I am looking at one from Kuat, but am really nervous. Nothing like losing a brand new 2022 Trek Mountain bike...

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
237 Posts
how do you like your tire only holders? do you think they are safe for interstate driving? I am looking at one from Kuat, but am really nervous. Nothing like losing a brand new 2022 Trek Mountain bike...
I love it. Although being a belt-and-braces kind of person I also tie a rope to hold it down on the tray. But watching it in the mirror on rougher roads I have no real worries.

That is with the 1-Up, I have no knowledge or experience with Kuat racks....

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
716 Posts
I have a 1st gen Kuat Sherpa that I swap between my Soul and wife's Mazda5. We've used it for around 5 years and it's held up great. We're actually on vaca now and transported our two bikes with us; travelled around 3 hours with speeds of 70-80 mph with no issues.

Tire Wheel Car Cloud Vehicle

Bicycle Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 1st gen Kuat Sherpa that I swap between my Soul and wife's Mazda5. We've used it for around 5 years and it's held up great. We're actually on vaca now and transported our two bikes with us; travelled around 3 hours with speeds of 70-80 mph with no issues.

View attachment 137987
View attachment 137988
Nice! I have been looking at Kuat Sherpa hitches too. I did look at the 1up, but I am not impressed with the expanding ball that holds the rack to the hitch. I am a bigger fan of a hitch pin. I would honestly drill out the 1up rack to add a hitch pin. Right now I am looking at the Inno INH110 and the Yakima SingleSpeed Bike Rack as he has a beer bottle opener built in (lol). But seriously I am thinking that the INH110 is best for me.

·
Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
716 Posts
Nice! I have been looking at Kuat Sherpa hitches too. I did look at the 1up, but I am not impressed with the expanding ball that holds the rack to the hitch. I am a bigger fan of a hitch pin. I would honestly drill out the 1up rack to add a hitch pin. Right now I am looking at the Inno INH110 and the Yakima SingleSpeed Bike Rack as he has a beer bottle opener built in (lol). But seriously I am thinking that the INH110 is best for me.
I've been intrigued by the Light Bull Bike Rack that I saw on FB. https://launch.thelightbull.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts