Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While travelling about 20-25 MPH today, I went to change lanes since the car ahead was going slow. In order to change lanes and merge with the inside lane, I stepped on the throttle to gain speed and pass the car. When I did this, the Soul kinda lurched as if stalled or went into a higher gear (not sure)...for about 1-2 seconds I was travelling kinda slow...and then I look back in the rearview mirror to make sure no cars were coming up. While doing this, I saw huge puff of smoke come out of the muffler. No check engine light that I saw.

The car seemed to drive normal afterwards...although I didn't try to push the throttle aggressively (Was kinda scared to do so).

Any guesses as to what might have caused this? Has this happened to anyone else before?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Sounds like carbon build up....you need to take it out on the freeway every now and then and hammer down!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like carbon build up....you need to take it out on the freeway every now and then and hammer down!
Thank you. I typically do drive like a granny.

Would carbon build up would cause it to stumble or stalling sensation?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
It would, but also a buildup on the fuel injectors can cause sputter.

Do you use top tier gas and/or techron?

Also it's possible your PCV valve could use a cleaning or better yet replacement.

My Acura got a treatment from the dealer once that was like an engine enema. Supposedly cleaned years of oil and carbon buildup. It poured blue smoke out the tailpipe for about 5 minutes.

They told me to take it out on the freeway and drive like I stole it.

So put the pedal to metal Hank and blow grannies cobwebs out!

Reactions: Buzz and Hank3

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the additional feedback. Even though my Soul is a 2014, it's only got 11k miles on it. Does lower miles lessen the chance of build up? And I do use top tier gas every fill up in addition to Techron once a year.

I guess it's time to mash the pedal more often!

It was kinda scary feeling the lurch/stall during rush hour...and that huge puff of smoke was embarrassing to say the least. I felt like I was driving a clunker for a brief moment

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just doing the math in my head, that's barely 200+ miles per month. I'm guessing you only have to fill up with gas once a month or so, and probably have periods where it sits unused with a half tank or less. Have you run a couple bottles of dry gas through it? You may have condensation in the tank and suddenly scooped up a blob of water into the system. Try 2 bottles at a time for the next two or three tanks and see if that makes any difference. They only cost a buck or so each at walmart. Also - the Startron nikschaf mentions in the thread below is great stuff!

Edit: Just looked at your Fuelly data from your link. Looks like almost all of your fill-ups are 10 and 11 gallons! Wow - that's really cutting it close. LOL My warning lights start going off with "Warning Will Robinson" at about the 10 gallon mark. Maybe you want to fill up when you reach a half tank instead so there is less chance for condensation to form.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Are most of your trips short Hank, not so much highway stuff?

Unfortunately cars are meant to be driven (ok that sounds weird). That situation happened to me when I moved closer to work & commuted by foot. I used my Acura basically as a grocery getter & occasional road tripper. That's when problems started. Condensation in the exhaust & muffler system. They rusted out every 2 years because I wasn't "blowing" the moisture out & nothing ever got up to full operating temperature for very long. Water just sat in the muffler. They even drilled a small hole to help it drain.

When I'd jump on the freeway onramp I had the same surprise you did, big sputter & smoke.

I drive highway more now, but honestly, was thinking an electric car would be ideal in those short trip situations.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got a bad tank of gas once with my old Saturn, and when I ran the fuel tank low, it stalled at stop lights. I was going to have it towed to my mechanic, but my brother told me to try Star Tron fuel treatment first. (Maybe similar the recommended Techron?). Engine enema is the right way to describe it! All kinds of condensation and crud came out of the tailpipe for about 5 minutes! The improvement was nearly immediate, and it ran fine.

I learned that with that car, if I ran the gas tank low after that bad tank of gas, the stalling would happen again, so I started treating the 1/4 tank mark as E, and starting using Star Tron periodically.

I usually fill up when it’s down to around a half a tank, but if I ran that car near E, I think it picked up all the sediment and crap in the bottom of the gas tank. I think a fuller tank means cleaner gas for the fuel injection system.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am the second owner and purchased the 2014 Soul in March of 2017 with 3k Miles on it. The first owner obviously drove it waaay less than me, but I put roughly a little more than 7k miles my first year. I typically fill up when the light turns on but can try to do it sooner. I never had issues with my previous vehicles in the past, but am not against changing my habits to avoid having issues in the future. My most frequent trips are to work and back (a little less than 20 miles round-trip) and there's some stop-and-go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I rarely drive my 2012 and it's got about 27K on it. I drove it and gave it some gas. The tach went flying the car really didn't move much and when I looked back it has a bunch of smoke. Glad to know I am not the only one. I noticed when I am backing up it tends to almost stall. It almost never does not do that in drive. Someone mentioned a cam sensor. Is that happening to anyone?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Time to take it out for...The Italian tune up!
Ah yes! The Italian tune up.

Definition: Italian tuneup usually refers to a process whereby a motor vehicle engine is run at full load for extended periods in order to burn carbon buildup from the combustion chambers, spark plugs, and exhaust system. It is performed after a traditional tuneup and often accompanied by an addition of fuel system cleaner to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I hate to mention it, but with the rash of severe weather we've had all over the country, is it possible that you bought a flood recovered vehicle? I'd inspect under the carpets and in the engine compartment and then see where the vehicle was last titled. You could be burining off some water that managed to get into the system.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I hate to mention it, but with the rash of severe weather we've had all over the country, is it possible that you bought a flood recovered vehicle? I'd inspect under the carpets and in the engine compartment and then see where the vehicle was last titled. You could be burining off some water that managed to get into the system.
It's perfectly normal for souls to do this.
Our 2012 is a local driver and will lay out a smoke screen large enough for an infantry to hide behind.
It needs a higway flogging to clear its lungs and its throat!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First owner was an old lady from VA. I called the dealership and spoke to the Service Manager prior to buying and it all checked out. No flooding...car was pretty much mint when I purchased.

I've been flooring the Soul more often the past couple weeks. I'll tell ya, it is not a graceful sounding engine.

Glad I'm not alone in experiencing this

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Hank said: "I'll tell ya, it is not a graceful sounding engine"

All in all its a typical 4 banger in form & function.
It Will ping like mad though as it clears out the cobwebs and lays down the a fore mentioned smike screen.
Our 2012 2.0 gets up and goes when the go pedal is mashed.
Respectable if not impressive but more than adequate for its intended use.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Engineering Explained with a different view on the effectiveness of the Italian Tune Up:

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
Engineering Explained with a different view on the effectiveness of the Italian Tune Up:

I have trouble believing anyone who drives along a sheer cliff at speed with one hand while constantly waving his other hand in the air. In this character's case, I find his constant waving extremely irritating. Maybe he's Italian?

If this guy knows what he's talking about, fine. I don't watch videos much, and if I do it's in snippets because most vids are 95% not-information fluff and filler because people can't get to the point.

Personally I disagree if he says the Italian Tune-up doesn't work, I see MPG meter results within a few miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts