Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Big Brake kit that I put together myself, the brakes are Brembo brakes that came form a hyundai genesis r spec if anyone is interested I will post the entire build. I fabricated the adapter brackets to allow for the bolt-p of the calipers at home. Below are some of the pics of the install.
IMG_1557.jpg IMG_1556.jpg IMG_1562.jpg

Regards,

Oscar Rivera

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice job! Keep us posted on how it works. I installed a 4 pot AP racing setup on my XR7 and she sure stops on a dime. I think I am the only car around with 13" brakes on 16" wheels.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would love to see the build. Thought about upgrading my brakes with something larger. Those brembos are all over Ebay but they command a premium.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK here we go again I started the post and was kicked out:

To simplify things I ended up purchasing a used spindle on E-Bay so I could do all of my fitment and have any down time with the car. The material that I used was 3/4 inch 7075 aircraft aluminum, I know this is over kill, I just needed to be sure I would have some surface area that I could mill down if I needed to. After some drawings and fitment this is what I came up with, the metal was cut using a jigsaw.
IMG_1543.jpg

The top ear on the spindle will also need to be ground down to allow enough clearance for the Big Brembo's, please see pic below.
IMG_1600.jpg

The bottom ear of the spindle needed to be cut and re-drilled, so the hole would aline perfectly I made up a jig the gets bolted to the ear before it is cut and it indexed off the radius of the spindle.
IMG_1545.jpg

This is what the setup looked like when I was doing the fitment off from the car.
IMG_1541.jpg

Sorry guys but I need to leave now I will continue the story tomorrow just hang tight, I will tell you one last thing is that you will need to used a spacer for the rotor not to rub on the bottom ball joint and you will need to re-place the brake booster with and Gen !,

Regards,

Oscar Rivera

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I am back:

The next step in the process was to cut out the dust shield, the dust shield needs to be cut out for clearance. The now 13.5 rotor will rub on the dust shield if it is not removed, the easiest way to remove the shield was to put a slit in it with a cutoff wheel and then twist it off.

IMG_1587.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg
IMG_1595.jpg

After the dust shield was removed the next step was to cut the bottom ear, be careful not to cut too mush of it because you will need to re-drill a new hole for the bracket to bolt up to.
IMG_1597.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now you will be ready to install the router and mount the caliper, on thing you will need is a 3MM spacer that will be mounted between the wheel hub and the router. This will be needed because the now 13.5 rotor will rub on the lower ball-joint if the spacer is not put in place.

IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1614.jpg
IMG_1617.jpg

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The new brakes require more brake fluid volume for them to work properly, the stock master brake cylinder is too small, I ended up using the brake cylinder from a 2013 Hyundai Genesis COUPE. To do this I also needed to use the brake booster from a Gen 1 Kia soul because the Gen 2 booster is clocked 11 o'clock 5 o'clock and the Genesis master brake cylinder is clocked 9 o'clock 3 o'clock, see pics below.

IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg

The other thing that needed to be done was to move the brake lines to the passenger side, the stock lines and master cylinder are connected to the driver side. Just be careful and twist them around and it will work just fine, you will also need to extend the wire for the low fluid censor. Below is the finished setup, the next will be the rear brakes I will post it when it is complete.
IMG_1556.jpg

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The brakes work great, but you know these cars are not high performance they are mostly for looks and bragging rights. I think I am most likely the only guy in the US with 13.5 inch rotors and Brembo brakes.

Regards,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts