Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

My Soul recently went to a local valeters for a clean and they hung me one of those magic tree air fresheners on the mirror.

I was initially concerned with anything hanging in my field of vision, so I removed it and laid it inside the circular holdall area on the top of the dash.

I have come to take it out today and the area immediately beneath the tree is damaged. The plastic has cracked, reacting with the air freshener and now looks like a dry river bed.

I am furious about this as I look after my Soul and I am really careful. This is so annoying and I don't know what to do now to solve the problem, or who to complain to.

My warning to you all is do not put air fresheners in your car full stop.

·
Registered
728 Posts
:eek: Never thought that would ever happen. :mad:
Sorry to hear about it. Thanks for the heads up

I normally use a few drops of Essential Oil (patchouli or pine) on a tissue that is placed in a sandwich bag that has a few pin holes on one side under the seat.

·
Registered
197 Posts

I normally use a few drops of Essential Oil (patchouli or pine) on a tissue that is placed in a sandwich bag that has a few pin holes on one side under the seat.

How long does this oil last? I am tired of wasting money on air fresheners that last like a week.

·
Registered
208 Posts
How long does this oil last? I am tired of wasting money on air fresheners that last like a week.
I put a coupon from Shell that was made of a thicker type of paper and then pulled it out and the rough edge of that even left a mark... and the are where you keep your plugged in Ipod..

I showed my Kia dealer and he said it was wear and tear... the plastic on the models before Oct 2009 really bite...Luckily there are replacing my interior door panels and Bpillars soon ....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have come to take it out today and the area immediately beneath the tree is damaged. The plastic has cracked, reacting with the air freshener and now looks like a dry river bed.

I have also seen some strange plastic reations & plastic vs plastic reations

Your's seem's to be an extreem example THANKS for the warning ! ! ! :eek:

Once I moved an Oil Change plastic clingy thing to the dash clear plastic lens over the tach & later removed it & it permantly damaged the clear plastic ( fogged it ).

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

thanks for the plastic bag tip - will try... fwtiw - oil lasts longer on actual cloth...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, I'm not one that likes to gets punched in the nose by a strong over powering airfreshener when I open the car door... It lasts quite a while and it is really cheep in the long run. When it gets weak I just open the sandwich bag and it continues on for a little bit longer. I would estimate that six drops will last about 4 weeks. The more you use the stronger it will be and the larger the holes the stronger it will be. It is the same good quality essensial oil we use it in the oil burner in our home and the bottle lasts almost the entire year for about eight dollars. The better the oil the better the sent and the longer it will last.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cool now just need to find a store that sells some oil. Is it like Bed bath beyond or bodyworks type of store?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
^^ don't think bed, bath and beyond or bodyworks deal with this therapy but most health food stores (like whole foods) carry - can also find online... "aura cacia" is a fairly common brand that will serve quite well for your car and house...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I just checked and the two brands of essensial oils we have in our house are "The Body Shop" and the other brand is "AromaForce". imho, the Aromaforce is the better. Both work quite well in the car. The Body Shop scent is called Green Tea, I thought it was pine. The AromaForce is patchouli. I like the Green Tea better of the two because I don't find it quite as strong.

SoulShaker keep us posted
I'd like to know if the dealer or KIA will do anyting about the issue.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
go to the hobby shop and buy a piece of felt to make a shaped liner for the bottom of the damaged tray......it will hide the damage, prevent more damage and reduce any rattles in there too. I did something similar to all my various cup/coin holders etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my last car ('96 Camaro) I used one of the liquid air fresheners that clipped to the airvent. When cleaning my car I put it on the dashboard for a few seconds. I took it off and apparently it left some residue on the dash. Not too long later, the plastic had been EATEN through. I'd get you a picture, but it was totaled.

I am pretty sure it is the air freshener chemicals though. Makes you wonder about how "fresh" it is making your air.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts