Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we just went out and bought a OEM hood deflector to put on the Soul, get it home and read the instructions and it says that it needs a minimum of 20C for at least 24 hours, so basically its uninstallable unless you have a heated garage, even in the summer we don't get a full 24 hours ofr above 20C most of the time, totally ridiculous.

So now we're stuck with a $140 peice of plastic we cant use, thanks KIA, I guess I'll frame it and hang it on my wall.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Well we just went out and bought a OEM hood deflector to put on the Soul, get it home and read the instructions and it says that it needs a minimum of 20C for at least 24 hours, so basically its uninstallable unless you have a heated garage, even in the summer we don't get a full 24 hours ofr above 20C most of the time, totally ridiculous.

So now we're stuck with a $140 peice of plastic we cant use, thanks KIA, I guess I'll frame it and hang it on my wall.

Or, and here's a crazy idea...simply return it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still gotta drive an hour to the dealership and loose 10% to a bogus restocking fee. Assuming they even take it since the packaging has been opened.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm just waiting for spring and will put mine on when we get a 20C day. As long as it goes on at 20C and gets to sit a while I doubt there would be a problem. My dealer offered to install it on a 5C day. So as long as it went on in the warm shop, they didn't seem to worry that it would be soon driven in the cool. Besides, the engine would keep the hood warm for a while. I wanted to put my deflector on before winter, to protect the nose, but........I had had the car oil sprayed, and I have so much oil oozing out of everywhere, I'll have to wait till spring before I can get a really clean hood anyway.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I had had the car oil sprayed, and I have so much oil oozing out of everywhere, I'll have to wait till spring before I can get a really clean hood anyway.
I just had to google "car oil spray" because I had no idea what that was. I learned something new today.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Still gotta drive an hour to the dealership and loose 10% to a bogus restocking fee. Assuming they even take it since the packaging has been opened.
If you opened the box or whatever carefully and can re-seal it semi-new looking, just go back to the dealer and be all nice-like and apologetic and explain the situation. I can't imagine they'd be dick enough to charge you 10% (unless they special ordered it for you?) if you explain the situation calmly. You'd probably take that much of a hit trying to sell it on Ebay or Craigslist so trying to return to the dealer and get them to waive the 10% is the best option right now.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Lets see...
Option 1- Pay 100% and can't use it
Option 2- Pay 10% and spend 1 hour of my time
I'll take option 2 Chuck...

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
that's not KIA's fault, why can't you warm it in the house for 24 hours and then install it? It just to make sure its pliable when you install it on the hood, its not different on any plastic product in cold weather.

I had mine installed in January, but had the dealer do it, they only charged 0.2 of hour for it and saved me having to mess around with in the cold at home (I don't have a heated garage either). My Rewards points paid for the item (you get quite a lot with a new car purchase) and also that covered my side window visors which I had done at the same time and they charge me 0.2 of hour in labour for that item too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you opened the box or whatever carefully and can re-seal it semi-new looking, just go back to the dealer and be all nice-like and apologetic and explain the situation. I can't imagine they'd be dick enough to charge you 10% (unless they special ordered it for you?) if you explain the situation calmly. You'd probably take that much of a hit trying to sell it on Ebay or Craigslist so trying to return to the dealer and get them to waive the 10% is the best option right now.
Unfortunately it just comes in a heat sealed plastic bag. Plus a 2 - 2.5 hour round trip, gas + time + restocking fee I could probably do better reselling it I would think.

that's not KIA's fault, why can't you warm it in the house for 24 hours and then install it? It just to make sure its pliable when you install it on the hood, its not different on any plastic product in cold weather.

I had mine installed in January, but had the dealer do it, they only charged 0.2 of hour for it and saved me having to mess around with in the cold at home (I don't have a heated garage either). My Rewards points paid for the item (you get quite a lot with a new car purchase) and also that covered my side window visors which I had done at the same time and they charge me 0.2 of hour in labour for that item too.
According to the manual it has to be a minimum of 20C for 24 hours, meaning you have to install it at 20C then it must remain that temperature for 24 hours for the adhesive to cure, it explicitly states the warranty is void if you fail to do this.

As for the reward points, we didn't get any, you were supposed to get 1000 for filling out a survey but there was no survey to be found on their site so not sure about any of that.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
According to the manual it has to be a minimum of 20C for 24 hours, meaning you have to install it at 20C then it must remain that temperature for 24 hours for the adhesive to cure, it explicitly states the warranty is void if you fail to do this.

As for the reward points, we didn't get any, you were supposed to get 1000 for filling out a survey but there was no survey to be found on their site so not sure about any of that.
check with your parts guy at your dealership with regards the installation. I wasn't at the dealership for more than an hour before I was out in the January cold so that didn't apply and I don't think the new one is any different with regards installation (how would any dealership be able to install it if that was the case, particular in winter). It's just a couple of adhesive clear pieces that the clips attach too. It's been on my vehicle for over 3 years so far with no problem, however, by having the dealer install it, it also was guaranteed for 12,000 km or one year. If you get any accessory installed on the vehicle at the time of purchase its covered for 3 years or 36,000 km.

You may have to apply for the rewards card Kia Canada Membership Program | Kia Canada. I get a summary emailed to me automatically at the end of each month to show me what points I have and any additions as I get my vehicle serviced at my dealership all the time. At the time of purchasing my car, my sales guy was adding the points to my account at the time we were making up the bill of sale.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There isn't any "fault" here, but how the heck would it be Kia's fault?
Be assured, you are not the first person to install this in the Winter. It isn't the air temperature that matters as much as it's the temperature of the hood and the reflector adhesive. So daytime on a milder Winter day with direct sun the hood might be warm enough, and have the reflector inside before installing. If not point a heater for awhile to the hood.

I can't count how many times I have installed or help install these things on cars in Winter it's done all the time. If you are trying for 24 HRS then park the car in a garage with a heater pointed at it for a few hours.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dunno I'm just going by the instructions provided with the product, I have to assume they wrote it for a reason. Why would it be KIA's fault? Because they're selling you a item that can't be installed by the vast majority of customers under the guidlines outlined in the installation instructions.

Tomorrow it's supposed to go up to 10C and I feel it might be the last warm day we get before winter sets in which is why I timed it to get it today so I could do it tomorrow, I've done a lot of painting and used many consturction and other adhesives and have never seen a required ambient temperature above 10C so I thought it would be OK. For them to expect 20C or a bove for 24 hours is completely ridiculous, so it's either incorrect or a warranty cop out.

I seem some other deflectors that just have clips that go over the hood but this one actually has two "cradles" that you stick to the top of your hood which the deflector then clips onto, is that how the 1st gen was?

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I dunno I'm just going by the instructions provided with the product, I have to assume they wrote it for a reason. Why would it be KIA's fault? Because they're selling you a item that can't be installed by the vast majority of customers under the guidlines outlined in the installation instructions.

Tomorrow it's supposed to go up to 10C and I feel it might be the last warm day we get before winter sets in which is why I timed it to get it today so I could do it tomorrow, I've done a lot of painting and used many consturction and other adhesives and have never seen a required ambient temperature above 10C so I thought it would be OK. For them to expect 20C or a bove for 24 hours is completely ridiculous, so it's either incorrect or a warranty cop out.

I seem some other deflectors that just have clips that go over the hood but this one actually has two "cradles" that you stick to the top of your hood which the deflector then clips onto, is that how the 1st gen was?
not sure, I think mine has got four clips (just going off memory here - too dark and cold to take look at the moment) with this clear film around the hood edge where the clips are fastened too and there is two rubber bumpers that are mounted on the hood behind the deflector to prevent it vibrating against the hood. If I was in your position I would be contacted the parts department at the dealership to ask them what they do for installing it at this time of the year.
A air dryer comes in handy for stuff like this to warm items and areas.

If you are on Facebook you should check the Soul Club of Ontario, these guys have come across many things and are very helpful. MT-ED one of our moderators is a member as its based in the GTA, but they have members all over, some down in your neck of the woods.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135299968155/

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I would think between a day in the sun and normal engine hood heat that you could easily keep the temp warm enough for sufficient adhesion.
Even if you ran for a day without the deflector till the cradles adhesive set up.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If you are worried about doing it yourself because you don't have the right temps, get a quote from your dealer on how much they'd charge to install it. I know, it is a long trip. But at least then if you have any issues with it coming undone they would have to fix it, no?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Are we not men?
Are you not the very same guys who crawl under their cars and under their hoods to perform oil changes and routine maintenance?
Or...are you a bunch of nancy boys who can't handle a little cold and figure out a way to mount a simple hood deflector without the aid of 8x10 color glossies with pictures and arrows and a video of a guy in a parka with snowshoes and a dog sled team in the background?
Are you not the same burly mens men who bust knuckles to change/rotate tires and change brake pads
or are you a bunch of poosies afraid of breaking a nail or getting a cut on their dainty little girly-man hands!
Are you not the very same guys who stare down the barrel of a 44 and laugh with contempt or pull the pins on hand grenades and count to 6 instead of 5 before throwing them!
Are we not men?:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Lmfao!!!! ???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts