Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short and sweet.....and I don't wanna post any pic, it's embarrassing.

Pay attention if you put a fourth-order bandpass box back there.....I had the whole back windscreen come down while blasting the Opening sequence to Phantom Of the Opera on my Telarc "Chillers" CD. The whole thing came down in MILLIONS of little black pieces.

That glass is SHARP...and it's EVERYWHERE....I'm bummed.

That CD...ummmm...sounds SOFA KING GREAT!! I guess until you break something :eek:

UPDATED:

The company "AllStar Glass" here in San Diego apparently DOES have the front and back windscreens for Soul, but it has to come from a warehouse. I guess Wawanesa WILL cover glass....no deductible. "I just came out and glass was everywhere"....(Which ummmm....was true...I guess....)

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
You should post a pic! It sucks you shattered your window and I have no idea what a fourth-order bandpass box is but what I do understand here is you blew the freakin back window out of your car with the stereo! There is something VERY bad ass about that!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually....that was the second time I've done that. First time was an old 1986 Hyundai Excel I had built my FIRST carputer in back in 1999. Ironic that my SECOND carputer did the SAME thing. The Hyundai was a bigger mess INSIDE the car. The Soul was terrible.....The vertical window fell ALLOVER. The only part that was "kinda still there" was around the wiper and all around the edges where it's apparently glued on the underside of the glass. It had fallen mostly OUTSIDE and then some RIGHT down into the cargo area.

The repair took FOREVER....almost half of yesterday, and I have "blue tape" allover the edges and told NOT to open the hatch for three days....and to NOT close all the windows all the way (!?)

The "no pic" part wasn't REALLY because of "embarrased"...but because I BLEW UP my hatch in the morning, called Wawanessa, and then just took Soul straight over to All-Star. I didn't blow it up at home....and wanted it fixed "now".

The glass at All-Star appears to have the same markings as the original glass, and was referred to as "OEM", so there is likely NOT aftermarket glass for Soul for now. I was sorta hoping there WAS aftermarket glass if anything happened to the FRONT windscreen. I am not at ALL familiar with automotive glass, but SOMETHING isn't right with Souls glass. I have more pits and chips in the 2010 glass, than with the 2001 windscreen on my Sportage....with 112K miles on it. It is the original glass with one noticeable "repaired" small bullseye.

·
Registered
46 Posts
...and to NOT close all the windows all the way (!?)
cause if you put all the windows up and then shut the door, you are going to change the air pressure and the new window seal can fail....

P.S. must be a marvelous stereo system!!! wow...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I always thought that sort of thing was just an urban legend. I'm sorry you had to replace the window but I had to laugh when I realized that it can really happen. I don't think I'll be messing with my stereo at all...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not really a "badasss" stereo really...... It's more the fact that the bass wave I like that "completes right under your scrotum or thereaouts", is ALSO apparently the average resonate of that windscreen. A fourth order bandpass box is a VERY narrow and very tight bandwidth. I'm not all that familiar with "new school" bass enclosures, but the only thing more powerful and punchy would be an isobaric enclosure (Short version: Two woofers in phase sealing a space between them).

I have ALWAYS had to be very careful with the old-school Telarc CDs.......Mostly classical, John Williams/Sylvestri stuff,etc. THIS particular "Chillers" disc, is GREAT for Halloween.....and contains lots of "POM!!", rather than just droning bass.

Between the pipe organ, bandpass box with the tuned port firing 8" RIGHT into the taillgate.....It really WAS quite loud, but that "can't see out the rearview mirror and the wipers are buzzing" sort of thing is what did it. I can feel that "Phantom of the Opera" track even in the pedals. I almost NEVER play the system like this......ONLY when I am in that real audiophile mood and start tweaking things.

I was doing almost this SAME thing in 2000 with the Hyundai Excel, but with a "Test" CD I used to play with called "Digital Domain, a Demonstration". There was a track with big 'ol Huey helicopters......THAT did me in the last time.

Some homeless guy there in Balboa Park...."oh DOOOOOOD!!....I TOTALLY SAW THAT!!!"

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some homeless guy there in Balboa Park...."oh DOOOOOOD!!....I TOTALLY SAW THAT!!!"
Aibopet, I know you're embarrased, but it's too bad that dude didn't have a youtube capable cellphone. I SO would have loved to see/hear it pop from outside the Soul. Reminds me when basketball players used to shatter backboards...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Actually......That woulda been pretty funny.

He woulda got my expression when I looked in the rearview mirror and went "That looks REALLY WEIRD back there all bright like that"....and then the "Oh HALE NO!!" (In my best Chris Tucker impression). And then me trying to figure out just HOW to pick up all the glass OUTSIDE with just a "dustbuster" (It didn't work very well). I ended up sweeping alot of it into the gutter to get it OUT from the street. I'm very environmental and DIDN'T like the idea of leaving little pieces of glass there in the park.

The glass INSIDE, I had to drive over to the little "you-squirt-em" carwash place and use their BIG vacuum. I had to completely pull the cargo tray and everything out to get "most" that glass. I know in THREE YEARS I'll probly cut a finger on some renegade glass back there.

LOVE the avatar Perry.....I'm a real fan of the Kia hamsters. Someone posted somewhere that they will be back in late November....

GO HAMSTERS!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Now that's just bad ass right there!!

deep bass> glass hatch!!

Glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad it's fixed too.....Now I just gotta put my little "got hamsters?" back in the top right to make it look right again :p

I pulled all the funny blue tape off this morning, so now it looks like it did Friday. It's warm here in San Diego, so no chance I'll have ALL the windows AND sunroof closed as per their precaution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am scared now!!

I have a 10 inch and 900 watt amp in a fiberglass enclosure that I just finished, sounds fantastic by the way, but the rattles are getting worse, slowly, but they are becoming more prominent. The glass is for sure one of them though, so I don't know what I should do....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hmmm.... I've noticed a rattle in the back becomming more prodominent. I can't tell if it's the rear wiper or if it's the sub rattling the liftgate. After seeing this, I wonder if it's the rear windscreen?! It's only occuring when there is a good deep bass line going... good ole Dream Theater and Disturbed does it a lot.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd only seen it happen ONCE before......Back when I was running a shop here in San Diego. Some guy in Mercury Capri (The COOL old one), had that happen.

Wasn't until 2000 when I did this to my little Hyundai Excel.....but I figured it was because I had two 12" long throw DVCs literally facing up RIGHT into the back glass which was a bit less vertical than Soul's. I was literally using the glass to increase distance between me and the subs.

In Soul.....what I think I did was in facing the port back eight inches from "directly at the tailgate", I was literally pounding on the hatch with REALLY tight punchy bass. I'm sure there are ALL SORTS of things I don't even understand that were happening to the waveform back there.

I'm NOW firing upward....and for whatever reason, bass got TIGHTER at my front seat, and I no longer have the wiper shaking in back or the license tag barely "buzzing". I'll be playing with Dynamat in the remaining areas back there this afternoon. I'm probably going to Dynamat a little up the C-pillars since I noticed one of the tailight assemblies buzzing. Kia already has some sort of "tar based" for lack of a better description sound deadening along a horizontal plane on each side back there. You see it if you pull your stock sub.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Every object has a natural frequency. This is the frequency at which the object vibrates if disturbed and undamped. Without a damper, an object will just resonate at it's natural frequency till the waves become so large it explodes.

It seems in your case, the constant bass at the natural frequency of the glass/hatch kept pushing the limits of the glass and weakening it's structure enough such that the amplitude of the frequency required to break the glass is reduced.

If you can find some plexi-glass, that should prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You all just solved my problem. The type r 12's already flex everything i could think of. With the windows closed, the rear class flexes slightly. But the 4th order band pass is what im going for. I heard some w1's in them and it was killer. I just have to figure out how big to build it. should i go with the alpine recommended build for a closed box? then a port on top?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts