Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my Soul at the dealers because while driving home my engine hood released and flew back on my windsheild and there was no notice of a problem before this.I took it to the dealer and was told it was my fault it happened because I didnt have it lubricated by them every oil change.Well I dont know about a lot of you but I for one have never had to do this before to any car I owned much less a 3 year old car.I was told the mechanism is working perfect but the latch is stuck open.This was all done without opening the hood.This is not a one time issue on the Soul I have read more on the forum here so what does that tell you.Had I not had my whits about me at the time I would have run off the road and taken another car with me.I was on a major highway.Please take care and check it often.I had no signs of any problem before this time.After I now have to go through my insurance to have the hood replaced and roof of my Soul fixed once this is done I am having my mechanic install aircraft wire inside the hood on both sides to catch it when it flies open again because if it happened once I am sure it will happen again.Juat to let you know I am not settling with what they told me I am going to the local news and papers so other customers are aware of this issue and the hazard of a accident happening to them before it happens

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I don't know about the Canadian specs but this was a problem a few years ago in the US. As a result all cars here since about the mid 80s require a double hood latch system. That means that in addition to the release inside the car, there has to be another release mechanism that has to be worked from outside the car. US cars have this, you pull the inside latch and the first release "pops" the hood into the second latch. Then the second latch has to be released from the outside reaching in under the hood lip (on the Soul) and pull a second lever to remove the fail safe hood latch. These are independent mechanisms. That, here at least, is a clear failure of the required mechanism to work and regardless of lube is a warranty safety item. I would believe here that the insurance company would call BS on that result.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
770 Posts
@jazzyjan
Where exactly on this forum have you read about hoods flying up/open? I must have missed that.:think

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
And let me say before I get called on it, that the early cars under this required hood latch mechanism had two external latches, usually an upper and a lower on the grill of the car. This was before the inside hood releases were popular.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
@jazzyjan
Where exactly on this forum have you read about hoods flying up/open? I must have missed that.:think
The OP posted in my thread so I am going to assume it's me. I had an issue when I put on an aftermarket/replacement hood after an accident. The secondary latch was damaged by the aftermarket hood and doesn't work as it should. I have a ghetto rigged setup now on it (because I am too broke/lazy to replace it) so the hood can open and close. As my issue is with the secondary latch and not the primary I won't have the issue with the hood flying open.

Your issue is more serious and I would have an independent third party investigate why your latch failed and if necessary legal action taken against the dealer for compromising your safety.

·
Registered
301 Posts
''Brand new 3 year old car''. Uh,huh. AND you live in Canada where there's no corrosion and nothing freezes...
Tells you right in your owners manual that,yes,the latches are to be lubricated at every oil change. That is over- protective,but once a year should be minimum. I know every ones got a lot going on,but you've got to think about the details of car maintenance,or have it done by someone who's supposed to be ''responsible''.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
''Brand new 3 year old car''. Uh,huh. AND you live in Canada where there's no corrosion and nothing freezes...
Tells you right in your owners manual that,yes,the latches are to be lubricated at every oil change. That is over- protective,but once a year should be minimum. I know every ones got a lot going on,but you've got to think about the details of car maintenance,or have it done by someone who's supposed to be ''responsible''.
According to the OP, he did not have them oil the latch each time they changed the oil. I don't understand. Who changed the oil? Not very clear. Still the secondary latch should have caught this (if Canadian cars have the secondary latch system).

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hood was not closed right. Or never lubed. And in no way should the owner of the car be blamed. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault. Good luck with your repair.
"Brand new 3 year old car" ??? What's wrong with this statement?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
sorry for the problem and it can be scary, but questions come to mind and not sure if its made clear from what I understand, so these are my thoughts/comments/questions: (if the OP wants it investigated these will come up)
1. yes, all Canadian models have the same latch system as US model, the safety catch for hoods have been on vehicles for decades.
2. we do not have the year of this Soul, guessing as it being a 2010
3. Where in Canada does the OP live? It could have a more detrimental effect with regards lubrication.
4. How does the inside catch release and also the safety hook release seize up all at the same time? Mine is two separate mechanisms - is it different on older models?
5. Did the welded hood latch break?
6. If you check under your hood periodically wouldn't you notice that the latch was stiff? It does not suddenly seize up!
7. Where did the OP get his oil changes done?
8. Has the vehicle been in storage a long time?
9. If it popped from the inside hood release, wouldn't you notice it when driving or even parked?

The OP can contact these places if he feels he as a legitimate grievance:

Agreement For Arbitration - CAMVAP
https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/PCDB-BDPP/fc-cp.aspx?lang=eng (defect complaint form with Transport Canada)

Here is my hood catch, anyone with a 2010/11 model confirm whether this is the same setup?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's some scary story...
As far as I know (worked at a garage for approx. 10 years), all modern vehicles have a secondary safety latch regardless of country or manufacturer! And although the manufacturer recommends lubricating the latch at every oil change, there is no direct connection between the two, so I feel it doesn't matter who's done the oil change, as long as the latch is checked every now and again. But anybody should be able to notice easily as soon as they open the hood that something is wrong or it's sticking.
I feel the biggest question here is, when was the hood last opened???
Unless it was opened recently and not closed properly, this should not have happened!
And if it was closed properly or not opened for several days of use, there is no way the sticking latches (main+safety) could open! On the contrary, you would have trouble opening the hood!
And it takes back to the main question... who and when was the hood last opened/closed???

good luck clearing this up, and let us know of any further news on this...

cheers,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok ket me clarify some of the questions.The hood was last opened on the soul 2 days shy of a month ago.My hubby checked the oil and fluids.I drove to and from work the whole month at highway speed here in canada 100 klms.The Soul does have two latches on it and I was told that both were not working.Kia did nothing to fix the latches but they thought beating the dents out of the hood would be nice.So I still have the latch problem and a beat to hell hood now.There was no sign of any issues when the hood was opened or closed.It has a hood protector on it so when the hood is closed it shuts pretty hard with the extra weight of the hood protector.This is only one of many many more issues I have had with this vehicle.I just want people owning one of these to be extra delligent when driving I would not like to see anyone hurt in these.Mine is sitting in my yard still unsafe to drive while I am still making payments on it.Insurance doesnt cover this issue as collission has to be an impact of some kind to cover so i a **** out of luck with this vehicle.Kia will never sell me another lemon

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Ok ket me clarify some of the questions.The hood was last opened on the soul 2 days shy of a month ago.My hubby checked the oil and fluids.I drove to and from work the whole month at highway speed here in canada 100 klms.The Soul does have two latches on it and I was told that both were not working.Kia did nothing to fix the latches but they thought beating the dents out of the hood would be nice.So I still have the latch problem and a beat to hell hood now.There was no sign of any issues when the hood was opened or closed.It has a hood protector on it so when the hood is closed it shuts pretty hard with the extra weight of the hood protector.This is only one of many many more issues I have had with this vehicle.I just want people owning one of these to be extra delligent when driving I would not like to see anyone hurt in these.Mine is sitting in my yard still unsafe to drive while I am still making payments on it.Insurance doesnt cover this issue as collission has to be an impact of some kind to cover so i a **** out of luck with this vehicle.Kia will never sell me another lemon
I can understand your anger and the insurance company's position. What I don't understand is why Kia is not going to cover this under warranty. Have you been to Kia Canada with this problem and other problems?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
jassyjan - comprehensive will cover this on your insurance less whatever your deductible is. Is the latch broken, if not then lubrication should be all it would need to get it functioning.

Where in Canada are you located?

·
Registered
546 Posts
insurance may be able to pass this off on the owner by calling it neglect.

The secondary catch on the hood has to be released to open, if it didnt need released then it was stuck (broken spring or needing lubrication at the pivot point) and should have been repaired, ive seen people let this go because it made it easier to open the hood without it. Ive even seen them bent over out of the way to avoid using them.

You have to assume the secondary was non operational, so what caused the primary latch to release? It is spring loaded on the release, and to push the hood up which would help wind catch it.

The chances of both failing at the same or nearly the same time makes it one of those buy a lotto ticket moments. Seen it happen on older vehicles where someone pulled the hood latch instead of the emergency brake. Shouldnt have been an issue here as the e-brake is between the seats.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Something is going on here other than what has been told. I am not sure that we will get the whole story anytime soon though. According to what has been presented, there is no reason for the hood latch to have failed. There is just more to this story...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Something is going on here other than what has been told. I am not sure that we will get the whole story anytime soon though. According to what has been presented, there is no reason for the hood latch to have failed. There is just more to this story...
I agree. AND,since the op is ragging on Kia,how about ragging on ''hubby'' for not noticing secondary latch wasn't feeling/working properly. If it was,there's no way the hood could pop open. This story stinks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
In 55 years, I've never had a Hood Latch problem with any vehicle I've owned or driven, I have however squirted oil on a few of them, but I guarantee y'all one thing.....

From now on, when I give my Gertrude her 3k Bumper to Bumper service, that hood latch is getting tested and lubricated. Guaranteed!!!

I'll do that right after I clean and lube my Gas Cap rubber seal. :)

Y'all have a very Happy Holiday now, Y'hear?

TM :cool:

Reactions: pennapolis

·
Registered
411 Posts
The tiburon I traded in for my soul had that problem! I was just driving up the road and it released. Flipped up and broke both hinges. Luckily, it didn't break my windshield! So I got hood pins, replace the hinges and released it in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts