Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 16 inch steel rims for winter set of tires at KIA dealesrship. My Kia Soul EX 2016 has 215/55/R17 summer tires.
At the dealership they advised me to install 215/55/R16 winter tires.
But. Total wheel diameter with this tire size is about 5 cm less then for KIA "OEM" wheels.
Should I get 215/65/R16 size winter tires instead? Then wheels size is practically the same.
Or it does not matter much? Except for more bumpy ride and slight less clearance for 215/55/R16...
I am in Ontario, Canada, so it will be 5 months of winter driving.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
their recommendation sounds fine to me or also 205/60R16 (its listed in the back of your OM page 8/4), you can also use the 16" tires for winter even if your model has 18" rims - they are less expensive.

Please add Ontario & city/town so we might be able to give you more local info if it applies, also please fill out your drive info (settings/edit profile) with 2016 Soul EX and also the colour - thanks.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Best thing to do is gets a pair of 15" steel wheels and put some Blizzaks on them. Works great. Just get the size about equal to stock, bigger is pointless, as is putting snow tires on the rear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi [email protected] We have lots of provinces in Canada, have forced the tire dealers to sell us four snow tires, not two. These same tire shops are not even allowed to mount two snow tires on your car during a changeover. Welcome to Canada. EH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd like to have winter wheels as close by diameter to my summer as possible. Also, the larger tire sidewall size, the smoother ride and less chance to damage rim.
So, is there anyone who uses 215/65/R16 winter tires on EX?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In fact, i drove many years my old Nissan with front winter tires and back all-seasons. In the 90s. And recently - drove in the same way my dying Honda Odyssey.
So...Canada is still a free country. :)

·
Banned
103 Posts
Hi [email protected] We have lots of provinces in Canada, have forced the tire dealers to sell us four snow tires, not two. These same tire shops are not even allowed to mount two snow tires on your car during a changeover. Welcome to Canada. EH
See, that's where I would have to force them to prove to me how having snow tires on non-drive wheels, is enough of a benefit to warrant the cost of purchase.

Or just take the loose wheels up and have 2 tires mounted, then take them home and put them on the front yourself. There are always loophole's. ;)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
In fact, i drove many years my old Nissan with front winter tires and back all-seasons. In the 90s. And recently - drove in the same way my dying Honda Odyssey.
So...Canada is still a free country. :)
yes, but its not a good ideas since they came out with these various safety features like ESC (electronic stability control) VSM (vehicle stability management), BAS (brake assist system), ABS (anti-lock brake system) etc, it can really throw the vehicles handling out of wack. It wasn't as critical on older vehicles which did not have these safety features.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
I would go with the skinniest profile, that's the 65 series.

Dealers typically don't know any more about cars or tires than what they get in their literature. A 65 series winter tire is superior to a 55 series winter tire because skinny is better for getting through snow etc.

As for mounting two vs. four, that is a poor idea. As conwelpic notes, ESP, ABS etc. as well as overall handling are enhanced when all four corners have similar traction coefficients.

I run 205.65.16 WS80 Blizzaks. I bought some DT wheels and TPMS last year and overall the whole package came in just under 1200 bucks.

In retrospect, I'd have been better off buying the $500 package at TR. Steelies, 205.70.15 snows I forget the brand but they were good tires, no TPMS. And if I could do it over that's what I'd do.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Guys, your vehicle doesn't know and doesn't care whether or not all 4 tires match. If the rear end starts sliding, its not gonna say "you shoulda used a certain tire". All the traction control does is try to increase traction in the event of a slip or slide. Doesn't matter if you have slicks or knobbies, its gonna react the same way. And if the rear is gonna slide on a lightweight FWD vehicle, it's probably gonna do it anyway, no matter what you do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't worry. 215/65/16 is a good size for winter.
If I could only insert links, I would have shown you many examples of use winter 215/65/16.

remark:
"Aspecr Ratio" of winter tires is less than summer by 2.2%.
I was able to verify this in the new winter tires (nokian, bridgestone, kumho, yokohama and other).
After that, recalculated diameter of the alternative winter tire sizes for SOUL:
View attachment 95601

P.S. For this winter bought for my car Dunlop Winter Maxx SJ8 235/60/16. Measurements of them. Аnd really get ~678 mm vs. summer 688 mm.
P.P.S. The 215/65/16 will look very good this season, too. :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Go with 225-60-16s and fill the wheel wells. I run 235-60 16s and love them.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts