Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Which Garmin GPS, 6-inch or 7-inch, would be a better fit for the Soul?
My Soul has the manual transmission, and I am thinking about placing a GPS in the small space between the shifter and the USB/power outlets. I like the bigger screen on the 7-inch GPS, but I am not sure where it would fit in the Soul without blocking my view of the road.
Many thanks for your thoughts on this!
Drive safe.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use my WiFi Ipad with a Duel GPS Receiver to pull GPS signal into it.
Made a mount that is attached to the seat rail and made it so I can slide it on and off.
I will plug the Ipad into USB to keep it powered on long trips, I have this system in all my cars so I can swap it to any vehicle I need it in.
Here are some photos of it.

This is the bracket on the seat rail.

With my mount attached at base.

Bracket with out Ipad

Back of the Ipad mount.

GPS Receiver

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's amazing, jtgraphics.
Thanks for sharing it.

I use my WiFi Ipad with a Duel GPS Receiver to pull GPS signal into it.
Made a mount that is attached to the seat rail and made it so I can slide it on and off.
I will plug the Ipad into USB to keep it powered on long trips, I have this system in all my cars so I can swap it to any vehicle I need it in.
Here are some photos of it.

This is the bracket on the seat rail.

With my mount attached at base.

Bracket with out Ipad

Back of the Ipad mount.

GPS Receiver

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks MKESoul
Best part is I did not drill any holes and it touches nothing :)
Fast easy mounting and made use if my Wifi only Ipad by using the Duel GPS to feed signal by way of Bluetooth and use TomTom app for mapping.
I also use a Wifi OBD2 transmitter to get all my vehicle data real time and can run both apps at the same time I use Dash Command app with it and can also do diagnostics and resets.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
a few month ago I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 2559LMT, its a 5" screen which I find is plenty sufficient for my use. One of the reasons for this particular model for me was the fact it comes pre-installed with North American and European maps and free lifetime updates. Also got the Garmin Portable Friction Mount, which works great and sticks like glue with no movement as you can also shape it and its a easy release for removal of the unit. I just place it on top of centre speaker. Very please with the features and responsiveness of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
a few month ago I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 2559LMT, its a 5" screen which I find is plenty sufficient for my use. One of the reasons for this particular model for me was the fact it comes pre-installed with North American and European maps and free lifetime updates. Also got the Garmin Portable Friction Mount, which works great and sticks like glue with no movement as you can also shape it and its a easy release for removal of the unit. I just place it on top of centre speaker. Very please with the features and responsiveness of it.
where do you bought it ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
look into the magnetic phone mounts. they work pretty well with my galaxy 5 phone even with otterbox.
Then you can easily pop it on and off. One I have is called imagnet I think. like $20 on amazon. A lot of different kinds around though

Even look into getting a 7" tablet with gps to use instead of a garmin. You can do a lot more with that for same money as a stand alone gps will cost. Galaxy tab 4's are fairly cheap now and light. I use one in my soul but its installed in the dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts