Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered up Bazooka 250 Watt 10" Bass Tube off of Amazon.com. Tonight I took the time ahead of time to get at the subwoofer in the back wall of my Soul.

Here are some pictures of the wires going to the sub.

Do you know which of the two wires are the positive wires? There seems to be alot of conflicting info on the wiring on these systems.

Does it even matter which is positive and which is neutral as long as they are hooked up in pairs to the high power inputs on the amp? Such as the left two pairs to one input on the amp and the right two pairs to the other input on the amp?

Here is the Bazooka Bass Tube I ordered:
Amazon.com: Bazooka BTA10250D BT Series 10-Inch 250-Watt Class D Amplified Tube: Car Electronics

·
Registered
244 Posts
I put an 8" one in my Chevy Cruze because the stock sound system was abysmal. Even with it being in the trunk it added plenty of bass. That 10" might be overkill in such a small car and it being in the passenger compartment with you. But you will not be wanting for bass once it's in there :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok screwing around in the garage with a bookshelf speaker probing that connector leads me to believe its based on pairs on the left and pairs on the right.

Pin 1-2 are one side and pin 3 -4 are the other pair for the other side.

Still don't know which are positive and negative though.

Another thing, is my amp is not like the one shown in kia tech info, which has 3 plugs.

My amp is like this one, but it is wired up differently.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I put an 8" one in my Chevy Cruze because the stock sound system was abysmal. Even with it being in the trunk it added plenty of bass. That 10" might be overkill in such a small car and it being in the passenger compartment with you. But you will not be wanting for bass once it's in there :)
I have a 10" sub in my Soul and it's not overkill. Since my amp didn't come with a remote level control, I added one inline with the RCA cables feeding the amp. If I need less, I turn it down. If I need more, I turn it up. Easy breezy.

The AutoGuide app did this...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I probed the lines using my ohm meter and came up with this:

One Side Of The Plug is
6 Brown
12 White

Other side of the plug is
5 Green
11 Orange

Why my amp is wired differently than the amp in the 2nd picture, which by the way I found in a thread talking about 2010 or 11 Kia Soul is beyond me.
Diy - Subwoofer & Amplifier Installation - Soul Hamsters Forum

I used a book shelf speaker and tested out both sides, and both of them are definitely filtered for low end only. Barely could hear the sound out of my test speaker it was so low.

So at least I have that figured out now. I am thinking that 5 & 6 are positive since all the pins on that row are positive in that picture.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I debated going with a smaller one. Money wasn't the issue and neither was the power usage since even the 250 watt 10" only uses a max of 15amps. The 10" is 27" long and if I remember right the 8" is only a inch or so shorter. So, I opted to go big and have some bass "legroom". My cousins both have had these things in the past and say they are incredible.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I still want to get something for mine.

I unhooked my factory sub and tried the Inifity Basslink. It sounded great but it died after a week or so of use and I returned it and didn't get an exchange. I was thinking of going with one of the JL powered boxes or such later on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I debated going with a smaller one. Money wasn't the issue and neither was the power usage since even the 250 watt 10" only uses a max of 15amps. The 10" is 27" long and if I remember right the 8" is only a inch or so shorter. So, I opted to go big and have some bass "legroom". My cousins both have had these things in the past and say they are incredible.
I have had them in two different cars and yes, they do make a huge difference and are relatively easy to install. I didn't want to lose any more trunk space than necessary in the Cruze so went with the 8" and it was plenty adequate. The 10" should do you just fine :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh heck yea! Got it all installed tonight. I am smiling from ear to ear.

I expected to have some good sound, but this is way more than I dreamed of. The bass is very deep and powerful. But it's not a thumper car, I can drive it knowing that I don't look like a fool at stop lights being an "old bastard" with the tunes blaring and the car rattling apart. Inside the car though, it feels like the "flesh is being peeled off your face" (can't remember who used this phrase on this forum, but it's an adequate description).

I had a buddy to come tell me what he thought after I got it up and running, and he said it sounded excellent. He noted how clean the sound was. I was able to drop the bass all the way down in the EQ to the neutral position, which virtually took all the bass out of the four door speakers and cleared them up very nicely. The Bazooka was able to bring that bass back up and beyond with no problem.

The audio system as a whole is very nice and powerful sounding now. Definate thumbs up on the Bazooka 10" 250 watt base tube.

The biggest hassle of the whole project was putting the taps in. Not knowing exactly the polarity and pin-out of the existing sub feed was driving me nuts. But I got it ironed out last night ahead of time and that info is posted above, but keep in mind, it seems that one Soul isn't like all Soul's. KIA must have some supply chain problems at times and switches things out.

I was able to get at the sub feed without completely gutting my cargo area:

Here it is installed. I still have to finish putting all the trim back and screwing down the panel. I will do it this weekend.

I am pulling power out of the utility socket. I purchased a 12volt plug from my company's parts vendor so it is supposedly of good quality (probably still made in China though). The utility socket is rated for 20amps according to the manual. I thought I was going to be well below that based off Amazon's description of the tube coming with a 15amp fuse. I either read that wrong or Amazon was wrong, because it came with a 30 amp inline fuse. I ran the math 250 watts / 14.4 volts = 17.36AMP. It's a class D amp which are in theory supposed to be 100% efficient, but who knows, so bump it up 5% and it's 18.23 amps. Well within the 20amp rating of the socket. In the end, it works fine. If I have any trouble, I will run a dedicated line. Another + doing it this way, is that it powers off with the car. And of course, if the sub needs to come out, simply just unplug it.

This is where I ended up tonight after my commute home. I have had an hour with the sub and this is what I came up with on the EQ.

I also sprung for the remote control unit, I will figure out where to mount this this weekend also. It's got enough cord (telephone type of RJ connectors and flat wire) to reach anywhere in the car with it all tucked away. One side is the crossover frequency and the other side is the gain.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i mounted mine on the panel below the steering wheel. To the right, below the trip button. I removed the board from the housing and just mounted it through the panel using the nut on the pot. Ya know... drill a hole, stick the pot through and tighten the nut down. I made it panel mount. Maybe you could do something like that with your controls there. I think it makes for a clean install vs screwing a little box to something.

Here is an old pic of the first switch I installed, but you get the idea of the location. Right now I have a switch and a pot for the level control. 63a9dabc-4efd-3f33.jpg

Anyway, your sub looks good. Glad it worked out for ya.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Keep us updated on this I might have to try one out.

So you didn't run a separate power line from the battery back? That would be much more convenient. The last time on the basslink I ran it all down the side and I hate having to remove panels and such with the fear of breaking or messing them p.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep us updated on this I might have to try one out.

So you didn't run a separate power line from the battery back? That would be much more convenient. The last time on the basslink I ran it all down the side and I hate having to remove panels and such with the fear of breaking or messing them p.
That is correct, I am pulling power directly out of the utility/cigarette socket. It's working fine at this point. I will see if I can get a hold of a an oscilloscope that I can borrow and see what the voltage is doing back there. The amp is not clipping, that I am sure of.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I upgraded my 10" Bazooka Bass Tube with a slave unit.

Amazon.com : Bazooka BT1014 10-Inch 4-Ohm Bass Tube : Vehicle Subwoofers : Car Electronics

This one is not powered and is slaved off my other one, with them running to 275watts RMS @ 2ohms. It has much more bass and sounds better on the low end than it did with the single tube. I run the gain now at around 50% vs with the single tube, it was a 100%.

Both of them fit very snugly behind the rear seats with just the right amount of space between the speaker grill and the wall for optimum performance:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have to remove the bazooka tubes in order to flip your back seats forward? Or disconnect the wires before folding back seats?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts