Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
I wasn't doubting anything you said, I simply didn't think you understood what I had said when you said this:

I was simply explaining the benefits of deep-cycling your lithium-ion batteries for long life. Of course having a full battery is best if you're going to try jump-starting a car.

I meant no ill will.
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. 馃憤
Got it. I thought you may have a plan on how to do this effectively. It is a good idea in theory though. Right now I'm discharging it by charging phones and tablets at home, but that may take too long. I would like to make a habit of doing it once a month and have it fully charged for the next morning.

Registered
Got it. I thought you may have a plan on how to do this effectively. It is a good idea in theory though. Right now I'm discharging it by charging phones and tablets at home, but that may take too long. I would like to make a habit of doing it once a month and have it fully charged for the next morning.

I do the same, just charge up other devices with it. My power pack has 4 USB outlets, which helps to move things along. I do this every 3 months. Monthly would definitely be better, but my indoor, not often used lithium-ion powered devices maybe only lose 30% within that time period. The power pack bleeds off more more juice being exposed to temperature extremes so I know I should be more diligent in cycling it than I am. In the trunk it ends up being "out-of-sight-out-of-mind". 馃槦

I really need to invest in one of those super capacitor jump starters that GeoSoul mentioned he has. Then I won't have to worry about it sitting in the trunk. Maybe a Christmas gift to myself? 馃榿

Registered
The starter I got is not that however. It's the super conductor variation (no battery) that powers up from your own dead battery (it's not fully dead).

Geo,
May I ask what brand/model number super capacitor jump-starter you have? Are you happy with it and is it reliable most of the time?
Thanks!

Registered
Did a recharge on my DBPOWER jump starter . Solid 75% power indicated on device (a little early for my suggested 6 month recharge). plugged in 2 cell phones to the DB with a multiport USB2 dongle and drained it to below the 25% indicator on the DB & discharge shut off, before half time of the Blazer game I was watching. It is now being recharged overnight. I was surprised by the drain off It needed to take, a few minutes, not nearly as long as I though. I can live with this procedure, as I have used it on other devices. A over night procedure or couple hours, done from my arm chair (Blazers won).

Registered
I was surprised by the drain off It needed to take, a few minutes, not nearly as long as I though.

Yep, those power indicators never seem to be as accurate as they describe them to be. I've noticed the same with mine. It's a big problem considering that you usually need at least 70% capacity to jump start a car. It renders them somewhat unreliable, which is why I still carry a set of good jumper cables to be on the safe side. You'd be surprised just how few people carry jumper cables these days. 馃槻

Registered
Geo,
May I ask what brand/model number super capacitor jump-starter you have? Are you happy with it and is it reliable most of the time?
Thanks!
You bet kerig, I got the Rezervo RZ300 Batteryless Jump Starter. I've only used it once at the gym when my friends 4Runner died. We hooked the cables to his battery & pushed the button. By the time I could tell him how it got the power from his dead battery & uses super capacitors to create enough energy to start the truck, it was already fully charged (it's pretty fast). The 4Runner started 1st try. Pretty cool.

Registered
You bet kerig, I got the Rezervo RZ300 Batteryless Jump Starter. I've only used it once at the gym when my friends 4Runner died. We hooked the cables to his battery & pushed the button. By the time I could tell him how it got the power from his dead battery & uses super capacitors to create enough energy to start the truck, it was already fully charged (it's pretty fast). The 4Runner started 1st try. Pretty cool.
View attachment 132877

Yep, pretty dang cool!
There's nothing worse than being stranded while looking for someone to help with a jump. Plus being in a one-car household I always worry whether the battery will die for whatever reason, which happened a few times last year with our 18 year old minivan. I hated bothering my neighbors for a jump in the dead of winter during a snow storm. 馃槦

The Rezervo that you have is smaller and cheaper than the one I was looking at. It's $30 more, but had a bunch of positive YouTube reviews. I'll see if I can find some video reviews for the Rezervo, then it's off to convince the wife that we need yet another gadget for the car, LOL. (she'll understand, she's the main driver)

Thanks for the recommendation! 馃憤

Registered
Wow, these things are cool, never even knew this tech existed. However, I like my 'old school' lithium, since it can double as a power bank, flashlight and a compass. Take that, Boy Scouts 馃榿

Registered
Yep, pretty dang cool!
There's nothing worse than being stranded while looking for someone to help with a jump. Plus being in a one-car household I always worry whether the battery will die for whatever reason, which happened a few times last year with our 18 year old minivan. I hated bothering my neighbors for a jump in the dead of winter during a snow storm. 馃槦

The Rezervo that you have is smaller and cheaper than the one I was looking at. It's $30 more, but had a bunch of positive YouTube reviews. I'll see if I can find some video reviews for the Rezervo, then it's off to convince the wife that we need yet another gadget for the car, LOL. (she'll understand, she's the main driver)

Thanks for the recommendation! 馃憤
I see this jump starter & the spare tire as an insurance policy (with just a 1 time premium payment) to cover the 2 most common "stranded" issues I can easily help myself out of. Even waiting for roadside for an hour or more is ridiculous for these things.

The super capacitor can also charge inside your warm/dry car with the 12v or USB outlet. I "think" it will also start your car from the 12v outlet (I'll double check that).

Registered
I see this jump starter & the spare tire as an insurance policy (with just a 1 time premium payment) to cover the 2 most common "stranded" issues I can easily help myself out of. Even waiting for roadside for an hour or more is ridiculous for these things.

The super capacitor can also charge inside your warm/dry car with the 12v or USB outlet. I "think" it will also start your car from the 12v outlet (I'll double check that).

Did any literature come with the Rezervo brand? I'm wondering if in it they state any longevity specs, which seems to be missing from their Amazon description. The Autowit brand, although larger and more cumbersome with two boxes, specs-out 20 years or 10,000 jump starts. But I believe 20 years simply means they don't know how long it'll last, just like with the stated lifespan of DVDs when they first came out. And I didn't notice this before, but the Autowit has a 20% off coupon now, bringing its cost down to $104, only $5 more than the Rezervo.

I'm torn on which to get; The Rezervo is smaller, more rugged and seems easier to use, which would definitely benefit my wife were she to be stranded alone. But the Autowit may have a longer overall lifespan, has an actual digital voltage read out (not just lighted levels) and the company seems to respond to their customer's complaints, at least through Amazon.

Did your Rezervo come with a case or bag for storage?

But then for another $30 Rezervo has their newest model (sold direct) which is smaller, has removable clips & a really nice digital voltmeter built-in. Unfortunately it's not rubberized like the older model and in my opinion looks a bit on the cheaply-manufactured side.

Decisions, decisions... 馃槻

I'm leaning towards the older Rezervo model since it seems a bit easier to use and is ruggedly built. Do you know something about owning yours that might help me to decide between the three?

And yes, all 3 can charge from your car's 12 volt accessory plug (cable included) and from a USB powerpack or indoor outlet using a micro-USB connection (USB plug & cable not included).

Rezervo website

Registered
Just delt with a dead battery last week. I can tell you it will affect your steering, AND, the other systems in the car, such as fuel injection, long before it leaves you stranded. I'll make a new post describing all of my experience later. I wish I had I jump box when my battery failed, I got a hernia pushing my car out of the way of other cars. 鈽

Registered
I don't think you understood me. You should always "use up" a lithium-ion battery and then fully recharge it. For example if you constantly charge your phone when it's at, let's say 50% capacity, over time eventually you'll lose the ability to fully charge it to 100%. The full discharge/full recharge of lithium-ion batteries extends their lifespan. Also leaving a lithium-ion battery completely discharged for long periods of time reduces the battery's lifespan. Now if the device with the battery has good battery management hardware built-in some of this lifespan can be recouped鈥攖hey simply don't allow the battery to fully discharge. (as seen by us, the user) But these devices are being made very cheaply to cut costs which allows the manufacturers to sell them inexpensively to us, while allowing for a little future "planned obsolescence". 馃槖

Guide to Rechargeable Batteries
This is bad advice, it is incorrect and even the source you cite verifies that it's incorrect. Your advice applies to NiMH or NiCad batteries, but not the Lithium-Ion ones. Lithium-Ion batteries do not need to to be used up and then fully recharged. They do not suffer from this "memory effect" - you can charge your phone whenever you can. Fully charging and fully discharging your phone or other lithium ion powered devices is actually the worst thing you can do.

From the link you provided:

NiCad batteries, and to a lesser extent NiMH batteries, are prone to what is referred to as the "memory effect". What this means is that if a battery is repeatedly only partially discharged before recharging, the battery "forgets" that it has the capacity to further discharge all the way down. To illustrate: If you, on a regular basis, fully charge your battery and then use only 50% of its capacity before the next recharge, eventually the battery will become unaware of its extra 50% capacity which has remained unused. The battery will remain functional, but only at 50% of its original capacity.
Another reason Li-Ion batteries have become so popular is that they do not suffer from the memory effect.
And from Popular Mechanics:

Lithium-ion batteries don't respond well to being charged all the way up and then run all the way down. They take much better to little bits of charge here and there.

Registered
This is bad advice, it is incorrect and even the source you cite verifies that it's incorrect. Your advice applies to NiMH or NiCad batteries, but not the Lithium-Ion ones. Lithium-Ion batteries do not need to to be used up and then fully recharged. They do not suffer from this "memory effect" - you can charge your phone whenever you can. Fully charging and fully discharging your phone or other lithium ion powered devices is actually the worst thing you can do.

From the link you provided:

And from Popular Mechanics:
I was just going to post the same. That information in the earlier post is the opposite of what to do and will leave your lithium Ion battery with far less charge life. Do not run it down, do not charge to 100%. For a cell phone charging around 40% to about 85 - 90% is scientifically recommended. The more important is the discharge to be around 40% or so. Many of these charging devices should stay charged for many months longer than earlier type batteries.

Registered
Did any literature come with the Rezervo brand? I'm wondering if in it they state any longevity specs, which seems to be missing from their Amazon description. The Autowit brand, although larger and more cumbersome with two boxes, specs-out 20 years or 10,000 jump starts. But I believe 20 years simply means they don't know how long it'll last, just like with the stated lifespan of DVDs when they first came out. And I didn't notice this before, but the Autowit has a 20% off coupon now, bringing its cost down to $104, only $5 more than the Rezervo.

I'm torn on which to get; The Rezervo is smaller, more rugged and seems easier to use, which would definitely benefit my wife were she to be stranded alone. But the Autowit may have a longer overall lifespan, has an actual digital voltage read out (not just lighted levels) and the company seems to respond to their customer's complaints, at least through Amazon.

Did your Rezervo come with a case or bag for storage?

But then for another $30 Rezervo has their newest model (sold direct) which is smaller, has removable clips & a really nice digital voltmeter built-in. Unfortunately it's not rubberized like the older model and in my opinion looks a bit on the cheaply-manufactured side.

Decisions, decisions... 馃槻

I'm leaning towards the older Rezervo model since it seems a bit easier to use and is ruggedly built. Do you know something about owning yours that might help me to decide between the three?

And yes, all 3 can charge from your car's 12 volt accessory plug (cable included) and from a USB powerpack or indoor outlet using a micro-USB connection (USB plug & cable not included).

Rezervo website
Hey kerig, I don't see any longevity specs but am guessing it won't be much of an issue since it won't (hopefully) get used all that much.

It does come with a storage bag but I just keep everything in the box & it fits nicely in the storage caddy under the boot floor (Gen2).

I like this unit because it's simple to use & has built in protections so as not to damage anything (like ECU). Basically it's idiot proof & that speaks to me :)

Registered
Hi RedATL, Looking forward to your dead battery story! The loss of steering has me concerned:oops:
I think they meant the "power" part of power steering would be gone. I had to drive an old Ford wagon once without power steering & let's just say I now know why granny had such strong arms.

Registered
I had to drive an old Ford wagon once without power steering & let's just say I now know why granny had such strong arms.
馃槀馃槀馃槀

Thanks for that info Geo!
I did happen to find the longevity listed on their website as 5000+ jump starts. If I use it that much I might need a new battery. 馃槈

I'm leaning towards the Rezervo unit鈥攊t seems to be the simplest to use鈥攚hich will be helpful for the wife to use since she has a "condition" where her eyes glaze over at the slightest amount of mechanical instruction. The "idiot proof" aspect got me! 馃憤 馃榿

21 - 40 of 48 Posts