Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the battery in my 2014!. The only one available at NTB (I has to get one quickly, and have it installed) was an Interstate MT-Line (MT 121R, 600 CCA, 5 yr warranty). When we got it home, and from reading some of the other threads in this forum, we noticed it is much smaller than the original one. Is this a problem? Does size matter ;-)? Should I return this battery and get another one? Any opinions appreciated! PS: we live in a relatively cold climate, outside Boston.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
That's what I put in mine and yes it's a bit smaller, fits perfectly and works great. You're fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
:cool:When is a good time to replace the battery for a 2015 Soul (mfg. date 9/14) ? Can battery failure while driving affect the electric steering? Does testing the battery cranking power give the whole picture?:unsure:

·
Registered
315 Posts
The important part is the 600CCA. All lead-acid 12volt batteries function the same way. The internal variances between different parallel-series versions and different square inch exposures are subtle nuances.
Verify good ground as a bad ground will prevent a clean start in cool weather and a no start in very cold.

·
Registered
315 Posts
:cool:When is a good time to replace the battery for a 2015 Soul (mfg. date 9/14) ? Can battery failure while driving affect the electric steering? Does testing the battery cranking power give the whole picture?:unsure:
Most pro-rated warranties end at 60 months. I would have it tested.
While the engine is running the battery acts as a buffer, high draw current, especially that exceeding the alternator output, can be met by taking from the battery. Then as it's able the alternator will bring the battery back to full.
I have dealt with engines dying at idle from high current draw (blower high, rear window defrost, headlights on, middle of winter.)
A failing battery could affect electric steering during parking maneuvers.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had my 2014 battery tested by o'Riley, tester said bad battery. A week later it passed state inspection, which supposedly included a battery test. It cranks in the cold, so I'll leave it be. Meanwhile, I drive with a portable battery charger, just in case.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I had my 2014 battery tested by o'Riley, tester said bad battery. A week later it passed state inspection, which supposedly included a battery test. It cranks in the cold, so I'll leave it be. Meanwhile, I drive with a portable battery charger, just in case.
I know what you mean Xx. I ran a full year with a "replace battery" reading on my nifty tester. They die a twisted death. Over time the weakened battery demands more & more from the alternator to get its energy high, only to lose it a little faster each time. Then one day when you need it the most, that damn battery leaves you stranded.

Like you I keep one of those little starter units in the boot space. Will probably never use it, except to help another unfortunate motorist.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Like you I keep one of those little starter units in the boot space. Will probably never use it, except to help another unfortunate motorist.
I've used mine, but not with the Soul. Knock wooden head.
It's a thing you would rather have and not need,
than need and not have. Plus it needs no ammo, and only wants a charge rarely. :sneaky:

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
I've used mine, but not with the Soul. Knock wooden head.
It's a thing you would rather have and not need,
than need and not have. Plus it needs no ammo, and only wants a charge rarely. :sneaky:
It and its sibling the spare tire are at their best when "out of sight & outta mind."

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
121r is fine. In all honesty, any lead acid battery that fits and is of sufficient amperage capacity is fine.

I'm using a Duracell 121r from Sam's Club. Works great no matter how cold it gets outside. Last winter I had to start a trip early in the morning when the OAT was -17F. She cranked and started like it was summertime.

Richard

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good info (y) What prompted you getting the Duracell at Sam's club? What was the age of your original battery?
Thanks for the info. ☃

·
Registered
152 Posts

Are you speaking about one of those battery power packs that come with the jumper clips? (sorry if I butchered the description)

Geo, I don't need to tell you, but for others reading, those should be "topped-off" with a recharge every 3-6 months. Better yet, run it down to almost empty and recharge it during that same time period. The lithium-ion batteries in these things slowly trickle off their juice as they sit, especially when exposed to temperature extremes found in your car's trunk/boot.

Pro Tip:
Every 3 months I rechage all of my lithium-ion battery devices in my home (I have so many these days, sheesh) and top them off from the car's more-powerful battery jumper power pack. This helps bleed off the remaining power in the power pack. Don't discharge any lithium-ion device completely, leave at least 15% left as a matter of practice with devices using these batteries (like a phone, tablet, camera, etc.). I then rechage the car's power pack and return it to my trunk. This practice will help keep all of your battery devices retaining a full charge longer and will help the car power pack jumper thingy to last longer!

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Thanks kerig and no, I didn't know about the "topping off" pointer for the lithium ion battery version.

The starter I got is not that however. It's the super conductor variation (no battery) that powers up from your own dead battery (it's not fully dead).

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Geo, I don't need to tell you, but for others reading, those should be "topped-off" with a recharge every 3-6 months. Better yet, run it down to almost empty and recharge it during that same time period.
I would do it more often than that, every month, especially in cold weather. Also, it doesn't make sense to run them down to empty, since you need 70-85% charge to actually start the vehicle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks kerig and no, I didn't know about the "topping off" pointer for the lithium ion battery version.

The starter I got is not that however. It's the super conductor variation (no battery) that powers up from your own dead battery (it's not fully dead).

Those super conductor types are even better, and more expensive. 😉

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would do it more often than that, every month, especially in cold weather. Also, it doesn't make sense to run them down to empty, since you need 70-85% charge to actually start the vehicle.

I don't think you understood me. You should always "use up" a lithium-ion battery and then fully recharge it. For example if you constantly charge your phone when it's at, let's say 50% capacity, over time eventually you'll lose the ability to fully charge it to 100%. The full discharge/full recharge of lithium-ion batteries extends their lifespan. Also leaving a lithium-ion battery completely discharged for long periods of time reduces the battery's lifespan. Now if the device with the battery has good battery management hardware built-in some of this lifespan can be recouped—they simply don't allow the battery to fully discharge. (as seen by us, the user) But these devices are being made very cheaply to cut costs which allows the manufacturers to sell them inexpensively to us, while allowing for a little future "planned obsolescence". 😒

Guide to Rechargeable Batteries

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm well aware of proper charging techniques. What is your process for discharging the car jumper?

I wasn't doubting anything you said, I simply didn't think you understood what I had said when you said this:
lso, it doesn't make sense to run them down to empty, since you need 70-85% charge to actually start the vehicle.
I was simply explaining the benefits of deep-cycling your lithium-ion batteries for long life. Of course having a full battery is best if you're going to try jump-starting a car.

I meant no ill will.
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving. 👍

1 - 20 of 48 Posts