Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 95,560 miles and the orginial battery (550CCA) on my Soul and never have had any electrical/starting/running issues. The battery show literally not a speck of corrosion but being its over 5 years old now, should I replace it? Or is this one thing on the 2nd generation Soul they actually did right and that doesn't eat oil and explode?

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
872 Posts
I have 95,560 miles and the orginial battery (550CCA) on my Soul and never have had any electrical/starting/running issues. The battery show literally not a speck of corrosion but being its over 5 years old now, should I replace it? Or is this one thing on the 2nd generation Soul they actually did right and that doesn't eat oil and explode?
I think your battery is aged out. They do not last forever. You have gotten good use out of this one.
Best to replace it before you have problems, they do fail suddenly (Soul won't start).

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've used WalMart MaxxStart batteries in several cars over the years, including in Alaska where it would stay below zero (F) for weeks on end. Consumer Reports gave them a top rating. Plus, there's a WalMart within an hour of where you are, even if you are in Death Valley.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Not sure if mileage effects battery or it's just plain age, but ours is 5.5 years old with ~17k miles and it starts just fine. I'm going to milk it while I can.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Not sure if mileage effects battery or it's just plain age, but ours is 5.5 years old with ~17k miles and it starts just fine. I'm going to milk it while I can.
The Polar Vortex may be in your area soon.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
181 Posts
Battery finder search tools usually recommend the 121R size. So when I ordered a battery that is the size I ordered. Wasn't till I was installing the new battery (Interstate MT-121R) that I realized it was quite a bit physically smaller than the original Korean battery in my car.

Suggest you check out thread below discussing battery size - Suggest starting at Post #85.
Note: one poster (Post #104) says purchasing a battery different in size from the battery finder result and/or self installing may void warranty.

KIA Soul Forums - Gen 2 - Replacement battery size?

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
181 Posts
...but being its over 5 years old now, should I replace it? ...
I replaced my OEM battery at 6 years and 1 month. It still seemed to be working fine though the State of Health (SOH) was down to 58% according to my battery analyzer.

1) I had a short commute (<10 minutes) therefore battery didn't get much time to be fully charged by the alternator, 2) it was over 6 years old and 3) winter was coming (where had I heard that before) so even though I had a roadside assistance service and I rarely went out of town, I preemptively decided to replace it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get a multimeter and test the voltage. If its still reading 12.6 ish its still good.

Generally a battery lasts 3 years and anything more is luck. The oem one that came with the car lasted around 5 years til the polar vortex killed it.

I have a 2011 and have a 3 year old walmart everstart 121r. I checked the voltage since the polar vortex is coming and its only 11.8 so I need to replace it.

I clicked the battery fit link above and see
the 124r is supposed to fit but anyone try it in a 2011?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've gotten more than five years out of all of my batteries. I got more than ten years out of the Mercedes Benz battery in my 99 E320. You never know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
...replaced my OEM battery on my 2011 Soul + in December of '18...almost exactly eight years after I bought the car...got a Duracell 121R at Sam's Club for $109.72 tax and all...

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I clicked the battery fit link above and see
the 124r is supposed to fit but anyone try it in a 2011?
Yes, this is the Best Rated Battery when in a Shoot-out Test on YouTube ~ 3 year Warranty ~ Fits the SOUL perfectly. ~ The Battery Insulator slides around the Battery Perfectly ~ 700 CCA ~ Best Price..(y)(y)(y) 😎
Note: Just put one in My 2014 SOUL ~ So I know what I'm talking about...🙂

EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 124R (12 Volt/700 CCA)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...tery-Group-Size-124R-12-Volt-700-CCA/28275664

·
Registered
872 Posts
Did the terminals clamp down tight, Master?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Did the terminals clamp down tight, Master?
Yes, it Clamped Perfectly... Exactly the same size terminals, and position as the standard battery... The battery is in what WalMart calls their Universal Category, of if it fits your needs Buy it... 700 CCA means there is more GUTS in it... (commercial quality)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Yes, it Clamped Perfectly... Exactly the same size terminals, and position as the standard battery... The battery is in what WalMart calls their Universal Category, of if it fits your needs Buy it... 700 CCA means there is more GUTS in it... (commercial quality)

More guts! I like more guts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm going to ask the same question, did the positive terminal clamp down tight? Meaning if you pull on the cable it is not able to twist at all. I've measured it and the difference between Kia battery and the others is miniscule at 0.4mm but it is enough that the cable can be pulled and wiggled and does cause problems down the road

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
181 Posts
I'm going to ask the same question, did the positive terminal clamp down tight? Meaning if you pull on the cable it is not able to twist at all. I've measured it and the difference between Kia battery and the others ...
I have an Interstate battery - the clamps are snug, no issues regarding the clamps/posts when I installed it myself, stiill snug.

The issue I did have is that the Interstate battery is physically shorter. And because the positve cables are so stiff, I had to turn the positive clamp about 45° and bend/bow the cables ever so slightly outward for the positive clamp to seat all the way down on the positive post.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm going to ask the same question, did the positive terminal clamp down tight? Meaning if you pull on the cable it is not able to twist at all. I've measured it and the difference between Kia battery and the others is miniscule at 0.4mm but it is enough that the cable can be pulled and wiggled and does cause problems down the road
Yes, they will Tighten Down so you can't move them... (the cables drop right on just like your old battery Perfectly)...
Prep:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, this is the Best Rated Battery when in a Shoot-out Test on YouTube ~ 3 year Warranty ~ Fits the SOUL perfectly. ~ The Battery Insulator slides around the Battery Perfectly ~ 700 CCA ~ Best Price..(y)(y)(y) 😎
Note: Just put one in My 2014 SOUL ~ So I know what I'm talking about...🙂

EverStart Maxx Lead Acid Automotive Battery, Group Size 124R (12 Volt/700 CCA)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...tery-Group-Size-124R-12-Volt-700-CCA/28275664
I went out last night and took the old battery out to measure the battery tray.
In the 2011 the 124r wont fit. Its dimensions I found online are 10.3 inches long and it wont fit. Barely have over 9 inches for a battery.
Plus you have the wiring harness on both sides of the battery so you cant really make the battery fit as you cant move them

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I went out last night and took the old battery out to measure the battery tray.
In the 2011 the 124r wont fit. Its dimensions I found online are 10.3 inches long and it wont fit. Barely have over 9 inches for a battery.
Plus you have the wiring harness on both sides of the battery so you cant really make the battery fit as you cant move them
Not a Problem on a 2.0 2014 SOUL like mine... The tray was even Bigger than the 124R Battery Size...YUP
Somebody made a Change, So I guess your stuck with putting in a Punny OEM Size Battery...:confused:
BUT the Stock Battery Works, so your GOOD...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts