Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All summer I have been thinking about replacing the battery in my Soul before it fails, But nope.
Figures it would fail @ the most inconvenient time, While I'm delivering orders @ Night, In the Haboo/Monsoon storm,
while we are shorthanded & Busy, in a back alley on the Biltmore resort property, with NO one around...... Click-Click-Click-Click-nothing !!!
My manager sent the dish washer up to give me a jump start, defiantly quicker that AAA on a stormy night.
2nd Battery in 4 years doesn't surprise me.
2 yrs ago Kia replaced the original battery with a New OEM Kia battery under warranty.
The heat here & the abusive things that I do to my Soul also add to the premature failure.

Decided to buy some Spark Plugs & change those out while I was at the parts store.
Original NKG looking Worn down, 115,000 miles

:D

·
Registered
214 Posts
Have you checked your alternator?
Just going to ask the same thing... I had my OEM Solite on my Elantra for almost 9 years, 4 of which were spent in Montreal so it went through both cold winters, and hot and humid summers. So a battery only lasting 4 years is a little unusual, unless you're always draining it low somehow running lights/stereo without recharging it all the way. In that case, you should get an optima instead...

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What 99% of drivers don't understand is that you cannot maintain a maintenance free battery. In hot climates, they will boil dry and then there's not a dam thing you can do but replace them. I live in Florida, so I have lots of experience with that.

You list your location as the Arizona desert and that's OK, but to me it's also a dead giveaway that you can expect to replace a MF battery every two years or even sooner.

I see your new battery is a FULL Maintenance battery. Now, get with the program, and pop those tops every 30 days, at the max. to check the fluid levels.

The fluid should just touch the bottom of the indicators, that stick down about an inch into the cells. When they get low, add distilled water (available at every super-market) to bring the level back up to the indicators. You'll see a dimple when the water level touches the bottom of the indicators. *
* The acid never evaporates.....only the Water does.

I maintain six Full Maintenance Lead Acid batteries here, on my UPS's, and I do check them all every month.
Then there's that Maintenance Free piece of crap in my Soul...... another year and that goes By By.
It will definitely be replaced by a Full Maintenance battery....the largest one that will fit in the battery box.

Rough roads and off road driving (which I do every day) is also very hard on batteries.
It will break the plates and the intercell connectors.

I had a really great battery in my little SX4, and it only lasted me three years, and 40k miles.

Those plugs didn't look all that bad, but probably should have been replaced a bit sooner.
Replace with a like type plug. OEM plugs are actually pretty darn good!

Good Luck with all that!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you checked your alternator?
No, actually haven't had it tested directly, but from previous experience's, if it were bad, I would have figured that out by now, not sure if it's possible to have a weak alternator....hum.
On my 75 chevy blazer I installed a 95amp alternator that looks just like a factory unit, could probably use one like that in my Soul seeing that my 2 power amps draw so much power while the car is on, combined with the massive amount of short runs, stops & starts the car makes in the evenings. Along with the Pizza lights & extra LEDs on it & the parking LED's on the Soul while parked, make it hard to get a good charge. This alone shortens battery life combined with the excessive heat here. About once a month, after the first year, I started using a battery charger to aid it. This Duralast is a stronger (CCA) battery so hopefully it will outperform the OEM kia battery. Should be trouble & maintenance free for the 1st year at least, about then I will start checking fluids, cleaning posts, charging, etc.
I know I probably could have charged the old kia battery & gotten some more time out of it, But now I don't have to worry about it letting me down for a while.

:D

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you can, check your battery no less than once a month. I've bought new batteries that came already LOW on fluid.
With any battery that has to recharge frequently, it will boil dry much quicker than a battery that only has to start the car once a day. Taking a few minutes to check your battery, is called "Maintenance". It can greatly preserve the life of your Full Maintenance battery.

If you're adding water to a battery, remember to use only distilled water. All the chemicals in most tap water will KILL a battery in no time at all.

Cheers mates!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Yes, that's the Geeky way of saying "Maintenance Free Battery", a term that most people can understand.

But unless you Google "VRLA" you won't find out exactly what that means and you still won't get the whole story.
For instance, you cannot maintain the battery, other than keeping the terminals clean.
You cannot recharge at high current, without possibly damaging the battery.
There are other limitations, that involve chemistry, that I don't feel are pertinent here.

Suffice it to say, when a Maintenance Free battery fails you, do yourself a big favor and replace it with a Full Maintenance battery. That's just a suggestion, from someone who worked in a battery testing lab, for three years. The worse batteries I ever tested, where of the Maintenance Free variety.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
While on the Battery topic.....

Every time I've had to rescue someone, who's car would not start, I've found battery terminals that looked like cotton candy.

Other than just pure laziness and neglect, I see no reason for that.

For under $5 at Walmart, you can get a little kit, with Anti-Corrosion felt washers and a little spray can of Anti-Corrosion spray.
You put the washers under your battery terminals, (after you've cleaned them, of course) and then spray the whole terminal with the Spray.
You can also get a battery terminal cleaner, for about $2 at Walmart of any Auto Parts store.

In less than ten minutes, you've pretty well eliminated the problem of corroded battery terminals.

Here's my own Negative battery terminal, with the felt washer installed and also an extra Neg battery cable installed, to the engine block. In this pic, I had not sprayed the terminal yet.

My Kia service manager admitted to me, that they have had a lot of problems with Souls not starting, because of the poor grounding by the stock NEG battery cable to the left shock tower. Cleaning the paint off of the metal surface under that little terminal helps, but adding another NEG cable, from the battery to the engine block, totally eliminates the problem.

Such little things, can cause such BIG problems. Like, a car that won't start, even when the battery is in good condition.

Cheers Mates!
TechnoMage :cool:

Reactions: Somerville99*

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Every time I've had to rescue someone, who's car would not start, I've found battery terminals that looked like cotton candy.
Yea, I learned long ago preventive methods & regular inspections & cleaning always helps battery life.
I haven't run additional grounding, But I did change the Negative clamp (see arrow) to a marine grade style, I would have & might still do the Positive side,
But I wanted to keep the OEM Red plastic safety cap for now. I would have to make a custom one if I change it to the heavy duty marine style

;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts