Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Backup Camera / Mirror Monitor Option

16K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  tempest 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm asking the question here, because this 'option' is listed in the manual, but when I asked my dealer about it, he just gave me a funny look.

Does anyone have the backup camera with the monitor in the rearview mirror option? Or is that Kia vaporware?

Aibopet, I know you installed an aftermarket one with your new headunit. . good job, but it dosen't count :)

Anyone else got one of these things? I typically always back into parking spaces, and the C-pillars on the soul have me kringe everytime I am parking somewhere tight!

#8 ·
Funny ----- coz I think its crap :D

Don't get me wrong, its the FIRST thing I show people inside the car and the general reaction is 'wow, that's cooooooool'

However, for me, I can't get on with the 'fish eye' lens and find that judging distance is tricky ... perhaps I need to practice a bit more....

I would have had the audio sensors fitted to the lower spec models if I had been given the option (I have the Shaker Diesel --- unfortunate name for a Diesel :D ---- Could be worse though --- At least its not the R model)

Oh PS the dealer told me the rear mirror is about £1K as a 'part' :eek:

#9 ·
I think it is already very used to things instead. I have to say, you're a bit surprised, let me say "I am sorry"
But as consumers,we have the right to choose. I regret that your opponent is too strong, deprived of your rights.
In fact, "the backup camera with the monitor in the rearview mirror" may be so time goes by, you will get used to, and might try to accept it.
Of course, we will give you more choices, go here to see.

http://www.espow.com/wholesale-car-electronics-car-review-systems-rear-view-cameras.html

#11 ·
The reversing camera with screen in the rear view mirror is also standard on the "Tempest" model in the UK. I find it very good once you get used to the fisheye effect, apparantly the 2011 models have lines on the screen to help judge distance.

Tony

#15 ·
^^^^^
Why? Well, if you are in an area with children, it is hard to see anything below the back window.
I don't have one, but I would like one. One more safety feature.
Older people can say, I didn't use seatbelts for many years, so I don't need them. But most of us believe that seatbelts are a lifesaver. It's progress.
And that is my opinion;-)

#21 · (Edited)
i have always been able to judge my previous cars to the inch when parking (and never had any fancy cameras or detectors), but i cant with the Soul...... seem to need 4 pairs of eyes to cover all the blindspots. Just spent a week parking in the local hospital multi storey and it was a nightmare. The spaces are barely wider than the car and the whole building is littered with narrow concrete pillars, ledges, high curbs and posts.

Maybe the bigger roads over in the USA are a better fit for the Soul.....either that or i have just aged a lot since i got the Soul.

ps. If i ever have to reverse a Mack truck......i will give you a call!.

#18 ·
^^^^^^
I don't have any problems parking it in reverse either. The mirrors help a lot on the sides. For a car the side view mirrors are nice and big. It's the blind spots down low, that can be a safety issue. I always look to see that there are no permanent obstructions in my way. It is the living/moving obstacles I get concerned about. Luckily I am seldom in that situation. I learned quickly to only back up as far as necesary in parking lots. Not like the people who back out of their spot and need to be all the way into the middle of the lane, before going forward.

I'm not sure about a Mack truck, but put a trailer on any vehicle, and I'm a laugh riot. I never learned how to back up a trailer, and I found out it wasn't intuitive for me. I quit the job I had, before I got a chance to teach myself how to do it. That job had me driving a full size pickup, sometimes pulling a small trailer. My next part time job had me driving a Toyota Yaris. I backed into more things with the Yaris than any vehicle I have ever driven. Probably mostly me, I didn't much like the companies vehicles, a couple of Yaris, a beat up Dodge mini van, and a Chevy S-10 pick up, that truly rode like a truck.

#19 ·
I learned how to drive in nothing but extremely large cars in the late 70's/early 80's. My first car that I personally owned was a 1977 Chrysler Newport that I purchased from the HS. Football coach back in '86. Loved that thing. Named it the Green Hornet. Learned how to back up our of our extended driveway (went from the street to the back of the house). Plus, we had a fenced in yard. You learn quickly under those conditions.

Where was my backup mirror/camera then?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.