Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and happy new year to all.
My Kia soul + 2012 backup camera got a small crack at lens and water got behind it, and when backing up I have a fogy image.
Went to the dealer asking for the replacement and they ask over 500$ without the labor.
This is the price in my country Switzerland.
Ordering it form U.S will come more or less comes to the same price.
Now my question is has anyone of you guys changed the OEM camera to an aftermarket?
If yes what type camera did you use and how the wirings are connected?
I highly appreciate any info that you could provide me.
Thank you in advance and looking forward to hear from you guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If it'd bad it won't be much of a risk but you can heat up the lens with a hair dryer or heat gun and it will boil out the fog.

After that you can try and glue another lens on to keep it sealed over the existing cracked one. It's a crap shoot but cheaper than 500.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for your responds, I have already done that, but it didn't save much.I think the winter salt has already done quite a bit of damage. see attached photos. 20180102_105913.jpg 20180102_105913.jpg

·
Registered
750 Posts
There are lots of aftermarket cameras out there, but you will be cutting and slicing to wire them in, and getting one to mount in the factory location might be challenging. I lost my head unit and spent a lot of time trying to get my factory camera (and existing wiring) to work on my new Pioneer head unit. I read online (in several forums) that the Kia camera is 3.3 volt and needs a power supply adapter to function, but ultimately found it worked fine just using 12V from the harness. It would not work on a 3.3V power adapter. And I lost the yellow/red/green lines once I did get it working.
I think your best bet is to bite the bullet and spend for the new factory camera, or purchase an entirely independent camera(license plate) and rearview mirror display and avoid the factory wiring.
It sucks, but I'm just anticipating a big headache once you try to adapt a generic camera to work in there.... Wish I had better news for you.
Good luck, and let us know if you do find something that will work without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you,
I have ordered an aftermarket camera which may fit in the central hole.
I will keep you posted if I get it working.
I thought spending 20$ is worth the risk. I have nothing to loose.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are not many Soul in my country, so junkyard is out.
carparts.com does not have my camera, and shipping form US will cost me the as if I buy it here.
thanks anyway

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you,
I have ordered an aftermarket camera which may fit in the central hole.
I will keep you posted if I get it working.
I thought spending 20$ is worth the risk. I have nothing to loose.
Did you have any luck with your aftermarket? If so, which did you use. I have the same issue with my wife's 2012 Retro 4U.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can only add that I added an aftermarket camera for my 2012 that originally didn't come with a backup camera. I tried several models until I found this one and it was really a nice backup camera. Very clear and it worked perfectly, it was also one of the main reasons the people that bought it wanted my car for their daughter.

Here is a link to some close-up pics of it after install: 2012 KIA Soul Backup Camera Pics

I got this one from Amazon here: NATIKA Backup/Front View Camera

I was super happy with it after initially getting some that were sub-par.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts