Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.5 months I've had my car

and my back left speaker is already rattling like it's blown.

Yes I sometimes go over volume 20 when listening to songs but honestly the speakers should be able to handle the watts the amp is pushing out. Why install speakers that can't handle the amp?

Anyone know if the speakers are covered under warranty?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Dunno, but DEFFINATELY have the dealer look at it. Those speakers seem to be WELL over spec for the little amp back there.

I have been QUITE abusive to the stock door speakers since I replaced all the gear. I have an Alpine PDX.4-100 behind those STOCK speakers, and surprised actually I haven't burned one or ALL of them up by now. I have been regularly running 70-80 Wrms into those doors since around April.

The only thing "friendly" I am doing to protect them, is that I have most everything under 200hz blocked from the door speakers via the built-in crossovers on the Alpine.

If you haven't done some ridiculous thing to your audio system like I have....Your speakers SHOULD be under warranty.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I had already written the door speakers off, thinking I was going to blow them up and be FORCED to the door project. They just haven't yet :eek:

They'll be replaced with a couple Fosgate Punch components when I get around to it. I have been stalling to see if someone would post a front door experience with the WEIRD stock speakers.

I was one of the first over on kiaforums.com to tear into the front doors, and I wasn't all that joyful when I saw the weird custom baskets with the LED rings on them.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The speaker are over spec for the system installed. They are quality Infinity speakers but like any speakers if you run them in the 'distortion' range over long periods of time they will blow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was told by my salesman when he was going over what is and isn't included in the warranty that speakers are not covered. It would be great news to hear that they actually are though. The highest my volume has gone since I bought the car is 13. It's loud enough for me, but to be honest, I'm scared to blow them. In my past experience, cheap as possible speakers are used in cars and they don't last too long.

On a side note, I'm wanting to install two 1000W subs in the back and I would like to know what size amp I need for them. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I was told by my salesman when he was going over what is and isn't included in the warranty that speakers are not covered. It would be great news to hear that they actually are though. The highest my volume has gone since I bought the car is 13. It's loud enough for me, but to be honest, I'm scared to blow them. In my past experience, cheap as possible speakers are used in cars and they don't last too long.

On a side note, I'm wanting to install two 1000W subs in the back and I would like to know what size amp I need for them. Thanks for any advice.
The speakers are covered for at least the first 12 months if not for the entire warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Soul Audio

My front left tweeter just blew yesterday. Word of Advice get a custom box built if you want subs in the back. I got Two JL Audio 10's in a custom box, It's slim enough for me to still have access to the cargo bay and spare tire! Install your amps under the driver and passenger seats. :D
I'll post pictures once my box has been recarpeted and I'm done with all the other upgrades.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Two front seats are CAVERNOUS for amps underneath.

Driver's side has a HiFonics Zeus Z400, and still room for a 2 fuse distribution block under there.

Passenger side has an Alpine PDX 4.100, an Artigo EPIA "carputer"...ALL the associated wiring and voltage boxes for the computer....Grounds along the front "ledge" under that seat. All you can see is the back of these amps from the passenger seat. They DO NOT extend beyond the rear "ledge" of each seat.

I'm STILL amazed I haven't blown any of these stock Infinity speakers up yet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know how your speakers would blow at volume 20, (I run some pretty crazy music on my upgraded 315 watt system), the Infinity speakers handle them like pros.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, if he dares set the the volume to 20, its very likely he's borderline deaf. :p The speakers in this car are ridiculously powerful.
Actually I have some mp3's that were encoded on a very low volume. beggers can't be picky though. I downloaded them all for free.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There is such thing as "mechanically" blown.....which does NOT involve wattage, but rather playing audio that causes the cone to move in a clipping fashion. This usually happens to decent speakers that are underpowered. That is usually the case when you hear someone BLASTING something in an old Geo Metro or something. The headunit's amp is usually clipping LONG before the speakers are at their limits. It can ALSO happen if the SOURCE material has WAY too much bass for the speaker to reproduce. That bass just becomes pure DC and burns up the voice coil, even if the amplifier is WELL below the speaker's tolerance. The fact that I am "rolling off" anything below 200hz to the door speakers is likely the only thing keeping me from blowing them up with the Alpine PDX.

My suspicion is going to be SOURCE material, since I didn't see any mismatch of the Speakers and that little amp. That little stock sub in back DOES appear to be an afterthought though if you really get back there and listen to it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have the stock stereo in my 2u, I usually run it at 25 to 30+ for volume....I love music and love to sing along, but I have to turn it up so I can't hear myself sing...or anyone else to hear me either. Point being, I have not been able to distort my speakers yet and they sound fantastic....I need not do any upgrades to my system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the stock stereo in my 2u, I usually run it at 25 to 30+ for volume....I love music and love to sing along, but I have to turn it up so I can't hear myself sing...or anyone else to hear me either. Point being, I have not been able to distort my speakers yet and they sound fantastic....I need not do any upgrades to my system.
The stock stereo in the soul4u is the 315 watt upgraded Infinity system right? It's the same as the ones we have in our soul sports I believe. I agree it's a great system, I haven't done a thing to it yet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No, the stock system in the 2u, as far as I know, is the same as a base Soul but with the addition of 2 tweeters in the dash. I have no centre speaker on the dash, no sub in the tailgate, and no amp in the trunk. Still rocks....I need to hear every note from every instrument clearly, comes from my days as a sound man for a bar band, and my stereo does that. So why beef it up any more than it is??

·
Registered
26 Posts
warranty on the front speakers says 3/36 on kia labor time standard. says rear door is 5/60. i THINK that it is 5/60, but to be safe it is at least 3 years or 36k miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts