Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time I checked the ATF. First was a couple days after I got Soul.

Noticed this morning I had to add just about a cup. "This morning" of course meant AFTER I had done some scooting around town and then checking ATF on a level spot, idling in Park.

Not real sure what happened here, the fluid at the "Low" mark on the stick was still nice and red. No leaks that I could see....Haven't gone underneath to LOOK at the car yet. There of course was no "symptom" of low fluid either, or weird noises.

Just curious if anyone else noticed this and if maybe I did something wrong checking it. Checked it the same way I have done for decades.

NO other fluids were low except the windshield washer (expected)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds like you did everything right. Maybe the fluid had to get really hot to show a good reading. Have you ever tried the Lucas brand of transmission fluid? I've tried it in my Ram with really good results. I've noticed slightly firmer shifts and a marginal increase in the gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
are you talking about transmission fluid? if so - what's up with that - are automatics different b/c have never ever had to add that to any of my vehicles - even my 19 year old 4runner, and haven't heard about any with automatics having to on a new car either?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Whatever you do do not add the Lucas additive to your auto trans...buy a good synthetic trans oil and do not put in additives.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting actually

I'm getting regular "full" readings after I added that cup or so a couple weeks ago.

I noticed today what looked like a DRAIN PLUG, on an automatic trans? I don't think I have ever seen a drain plug on an automatic before. If that really is a drain plug, that would be nice for changing over to some Lucas fluid without having to crack the pan seal.

·
Registered
191 Posts
our A/T was SLIPPING within the first week of owning our SOUL ... took it into the dealership and they said the ATF was VERY low ...

they topped it all up and its been fine ..... but reading this reminds me I should perhaps check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ATF looked low to me so I took it into the dealership. They said it was about 1/4 quart low. Topped it off for me - no charge. Wouldn't hurt to take a look if you own an automatic.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have been under the hood 2 dozen times for modifications to side repeaters & mirror blinkers & hard wired other 12v stuff.....
( horn , headlights, ect )

Never even crossed my mind to check fluids on a new car.....

If it wasn't for the modifications I have done I wouldn't have even opened the bonnet.

·
Banned
43 Posts
DO NOT open the transmission drain pan. If anything other than the drain plug or external sensors are removed/replaced it will void the warranty on the trans. The factory specifies that only drain/fill and flush services are to be performed. Also, if the dealer detects anything other than the factory specified fluid, the warranty will be void on the trans. It is very easy to tell if the on the 6sp Borregos because the factory trasmission fluid is clear.

·
Registered
910 Posts
My TPMS was going off this morning.. first really cold night and it didn't go off until after I drove all the way home for lunch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts