Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me no one seems to have any idea what's going on. About a year ago my traction control light started coming on intermittently and then one day my cruise stopped working. When they scan it the scanner shows its a brake switch fault but the brake lights work fine and they have replaced the switch 3 times now. We have tried replacing the buttons on the wheel and put new abs/wheel sensors in it and still have the same issue no cruise and traction control light comes on when it's wet out. The traction control works fine even when the lights on when Its wet outside. When I turn the cruise control on the light illuminates on the dash and when I press set it lights up for a second but doesn't set and the cruise doesn't work. Hopefully someone will have an idea.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hoping someone can help me no one seems to have any idea what's going on. About a year ago my traction control light started coming on intermittently and then one day my cruise stopped working. When they scan it the scanner shows its a brake switch fault but the brake lights work fine and they have replaced the switch 3 times now. We have tried replacing the buttons on the wheel and put new abs/wheel sensors in it and still have the same issue no cruise and traction control light comes on when it's wet out. The traction control works fine even when the lights on when Its wet outside. When I turn the cruise control on the light illuminates on the dash and when I press set it lights up for a second but doesn't set and the cruise doesn't work. Hopefully someone will have an idea.
Have they tried replacing the BCM? Based on the what looks like random errors in multiple spots, I would work backwards to a common source. @bwdz75 might have some more info.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Who is "they"? Kia dealership auto techs?

·
Registered
320 Posts
There's only the one error showing up on the computer and that's for the brake module
Did you replace the brake light switch with a genuine Kia part? In the past, there was a lot of problems with the brake light switch in Hyundai and Kias of that era. They eventually had a recall and replaced it with an updated switch and that took care of the issues I used to have on my old Elantra and Soul.

Edit—- oh I just saw your post that you had a Kia replace the switch before. Hmm 🤔

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you replace the brake light switch with a genuine Kia part? In the past, there was a lot of problems with the brake light switch in Hyundai and Kias of that era. They eventually had a recall and replaced it with an updated switch and that took care of the issues I used to have on my old Elantra and Soul.

Edit—- oh I just saw your post that you had a Kia replace the switch before. Hmm 🤔
Yea and that's the code it keeps throwing up is fpr the brake switch and we put 3 in so far there's no way all 3 are faulty.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
In order for us to be able to help you it would really help if you posted the model year and which engine is in your car. There are some differences between the models. It would really help if you know the actual code, perhaps it is on some of the paperwork from the shops you have been to although I doubt their competence as they replaced the same part 3 times and a brake light switch is super easy to test as it only has 2 sets of contacts one that is normally open and one that is normally closed. It is important to know the code as a brake switch code can be in 3 different modules ABS, ECM and TCU and they all need to see it's position correctly so if the code is in one module or all of them makes a difference. I hope you aren't being charged for someone throwing cruise switches etc..that do not fix your problem at this car because they have no clue how to diagnose it. Give us all the info you can and we will see if we can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In order for us to be able to help you it would really help if you posted the model year and which engine is in your car. There are some differences between the models. It would really help if you know the actual code, perhaps it is on some of the paperwork from the shops you have been to although I doubt their competence as they replaced the same part 3 times and a brake light switch is super easy to test as it only has 2 sets of contacts one that is normally open and one that is normally closed. It is important to know the code as a brake switch code can be in 3 different modules ABS, ECM and TCU and they all need to see it's position correctly so if the code is in one module or all of them makes a difference. I hope you aren't being charged for someone throwing cruise switches etc..that do not fix your problem at this car because they have no clue how to diagnose it. Give us all the info you can and we will see if we can point you in the right direction.
Hey thanks for your reply it's a 2011 and has the 2l engine with 5 speed manual transmission. Yes they did charge me every time they replaced the switch. The code that is coming up is c1513 which is the abs/tc module showing brake switch error

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It is absurd to me that someone would replace the switch 3 times and have the same problem. Please find a competent mechanic and have them perform some simple tests, this will take less than 30 minutes for a competent mechanic and prevent them from replacing parts that are absolutely unnecessary and do not fix the car. The stop lamps switch has 4 wires to it, there should be power at the white and red wires at all times. The other 2 wires the blue one should have power when the brake pedal is up and no power when you press the brakes, the red wire with orange tracer should have no power with pedal up and power when the brake is pressed. If that checks out you move on to the abs module, pin 9 is the blue wire from the brake switch and pin 23 is the red with orange tracer, you should have the same results at those pins. Check for this with an incandescent test light not a power probe. If those all check out the problem is internal to the ABS module but they have to be certain they have good power not just voltage and that's why you can't use a power probe or multi meter but a test light with a bulb that draws power. Before they even try all this it would be a good idea to pull up the data from the ABS module and see if it is seeing the input from the brake switch. Your problem is going to be in the wiring or the abs module itself although they very rarely fail so I would guess it is in the wiring and if the problem is intermittent it will be a little more difficult to find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is absurd to me that someone would replace the switch 3 times and have the same problem. Please find a competent mechanic and have them perform some simple tests, this will take less than 30 minutes for a competent mechanic and prevent them from replacing parts that are absolutely unnecessary and do not fix the car. The stop lamps switch has 4 wires to it, there should be power at the white and red wires at all times. The other 2 wires the blue one should have power when the brake pedal is up and no power when you press the brakes, the red wire with orange tracer should have no power with pedal up and power when the brake is pressed. If that checks out you move on to the abs module, pin 9 is the blue wire from the brake switch and pin 23 is the red with orange tracer, you should have the same results at those pins. Check for this with an incandescent test light not a power probe. If those all check out the problem is internal to the ABS module but they have to be certain they have good power not just voltage and that's why you can't use a power probe or multi meter but a test light with a bulb that draws power. Before they even try all this it would be a good idea to pull up the data from the ABS module and see if it is seeing the input from the brake switch. Your problem is going to be in the wiring or the abs module itself although they very rarely fail so I would guess it is in the wiring and if the problem is intermittent it will be a little more difficult to find.
Could it have anything to do with the clutch because this problem with the cruise didn't start happening until after kia replaced the slave cylinder. Wen I mentioned it to the dealer they said no it has to do with the brake code and the traction control light coming in intermittently.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I can't say for sure as I have not seen your car but the slave cylinder is external so I would say it's unlikely unless your cruise doesn't work because car thinks the clutch is disengaging.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't say for sure as I have not seen your car but the slave cylinder is external so I would say it's unlikely unless your cruise doesn't work because car thinks the clutch is disengaging.
Ok thanks it's the only other thing I can think of that would effect the cruise. It all happened around the same time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took the car back in today after traction control light cae on and had them scan it again and only code that comes up is for the brake switch. Garage told me to take the car back to kia as they have exhausted all thier solutions.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Soul ! 2.0gdi
265 Posts
I mean realistically, they should pin out and test the wires between the switch and the module, and if they check out, you might need a control module. It is a pretty basic system as far as the switch and wiring goes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts