Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul Plus 2.0 L | Inferno Red
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I didn't find an all encompassing post for this, I'm adding my journey to the stereo wiring and upgrade process.

I grabbed the Metra 70-7304 wire harness, which has its own corresponding wires to match up with the ASWC-1.
Green/Orange is SWC 1, and the extra black ground wire is designated for the SWC ground. There is still a blue/pink extra wire but it's not mentioned so according to Metra that isn't needed for the Soul.

The ASWC-1 includes a 3.5mm jack adapter with two wires (brown and brown/white), in the event there is no jack on the back of the aftermarket stereo.
I recently replaced my off brand stereo with a better one, courtesy of Sound Storm Labs. Thankfully it has a 3.5mm female jack specifically for steering controls. Woo!

The fun part was the soldering. Most of the wires match up by color, as we know. So let's skip that part.

The easy parts: red wire on ASWC1 goes to the red in the stereo harness. Black wire (ground) of the ASWC1 goes to the chassis ground of the harness. (Their downloadable pdf shows this)

I didn't want to run a new wire for the Bluetooth mic cable, so I used an idea posted by a member in the forums to solder into the 10 and 22 pin connections of connector B, for retaining the factory Bluetooth mic. I ordered a bare wire 2 pole 3.5mm jack so the wires would be separated better, with larger guage.

Just for better clarity, I grabbed two more wires with terminal connections and pinned them into the metra harness (70-7304). Then these were soldered to the ASWC1 wires. For some connections I wanted the option of disconnecting when necessary, like if the stereo unit needed to be pulled out of the way.
So I have quick connects set up for the ground to the parking brake signal wire, and the power cable that runs to the back for the backup camera signal.
Routing the backup camera video input from the front to the trunk area was like a fun game of "Operation" but in the heat. Summer is terrible in AZ (nothing new).
Created a bare metal ground in the rear, mounted the license plate backup camera with some flanged bolts, and tapped into the power wire of the reverse lights.
*I am going to replace the power and ground wires in the back with a thicker version since these dinky ones are such a PITA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started my testing so far today. Steering wheel controls work, backup camera works, and Bluetooth works. However I do sound far away on the Bluetooth connection so I'll have to see what I can do differently with that one.
I noticed the aftermarket 3.5mm bluetooth jack that came with the stereo had 2 lines across it which usually shows for a 3 pole design. Buuuut there's only 2 wires to connect with inside the cable.
Could that be why the volume sounds lower? I wasn't sure if I could use a 3 pole wire, then connect both the left and right channel wires to the positive, and then ground to ground.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final update on the unit install. It works great. I hooked up a replacement dual usb port in place of the left side cig lighter plugin. One goes to the Android Auto/Apple Carplay function, the other is for just charging. I'll include pics soon.
The unit has the smallest gap between the top of the bezel and the unit. It's not that noticeable but I may customize something to fill that void.
Summary:
Fun project. Took my time, grabbed any addtl parts along the way and made good use of the resources provided by the forums. Thanks for the indirect assist!

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
779 Posts
I'll include pics soon.
Thanks, pics would help as I'm struggling to visualize parts of your installation description. Also any links to the model of your replacement head unit? What did it cost and where are they sold? What features does it have?

I also don't quite follow what you said about the volume when using Bluetooth makes you "sound far away". Can you clarify this and how did you fix it? Could it be less of a Bluetooth issue and more of where the new unit places its microphone compared to where the mic is on the original? I believe another user had to place a separate microphone on his steering column when he replaced his head unit.

I'm not planning on an upgrade myself, but I still like to see how others have handled their upgrades. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the link to the stereo on Amazon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts