Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

sadly my 2108 Kia soul plus trim (red/white) had a motor failure at 175k and is not going to be repaired by Kia :(

I have the title free and clear and don’t think I’m going to attempt to replace the motor. The car is in fairly good shape otherwise as far as the interior and exterior with only a minor scuff on one body panel. Everything else mechanically, electrically works as far as I know.
What do you think a fair asking price would be for salvage for this vehicle?

· Registered
756 Posts
According to what I've read from others on this site, the price of a Kia long block replacement engine might not be as bad as you think. If the rest of the car is in good shape, spending $3K-$5K on a new engine (not a used one with unknown history from a junkyard) would be a lot better (in my humble opinion) than paying the high prices they are asking for used cars.

You would also have the option of keeping it, or selling and probably getting at least $3K-$5K more than you would get wholesaling it with a blown engine.

· Registered
2016 Soul !
388 Posts
According to what I've read from others on this site, the price of a Kia long block replacement engine might not be as bad as you think. If the rest of the car is in good shape, spending $3K-$5K on a new engine (not a used one with unknown history from a junkyard) would be a lot better (in my humble opinion) than paying the high prices they are asking for used cars.

You would also have the option of keeping it, or selling and probably getting at least $3K-$5K more than you would get wholesaling it with a blown engine.
This is an excellent point. The most expensive option to you is probably selling it as-is and trying to replace it right now.

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
9,071 Posts
Buy a new engine and have it installed. You'll probably get another 100,000 miles.
True dat! Good advice Brad.

BTW: Is that a Honda 90 in your emoji? I had two of those growing up. Bulletproof reliability.

· Registered
13 Posts
The cost of the new engine is a sunk cost-either you pay for a new engine, or you get the cost subtracted from what you sell the car for as-is. However, it's possible you could pay thousands of dollars in premium for a new or used replacement now than you would have 2 years ago, which would almost cover the cost of the repair. Although you might get more for the Soul in this market, it would not be that much more in absolute dollars. If the Soul meets your needs, and is otherwise in good shape, it may be wise to get a new engine and plan on purchasing another vehicle on your own time frame.

· Registered
2016 Kia Soul
196 Posts
I'd try looking in local salvage yards for one that had been rear ended or hit in the side and buy a used engine. Couple of years ago I helped a buddy replace the engine in a Chevy Sonic and he got a low mileage one at a salvage yard for $800. Even if you had to spend twice that much, you'll have reliable transportation again. BUT, I'm a cheap bastard living on my Social Security, so I have to watch every penny.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone,

sadly my 2108 Kia soul plus trim (red/white) had a motor failure at 175k and is not going to be repaired by Kia :(

I have the title free and clear and don’t think I’m going to attempt to replace the motor. The car is in fairly good shape otherwise as far as the interior and exterior with only a minor scuff on one body panel. Everything else mechanically, electrically works as far as I know.
What do you think a fair asking price would be for salvage for this vehicle?
What did you get for it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts