Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many others, I found the hard plastic armrest in the Soul to be somewhat uncomfortable at times. I found an armrest cushion that fits pretty well and figured I'd share. (See attached pics.)

I bought mine on eBay, but it appears the seller only had one to sell. I am almost positive the same product is sold here:

Armrest Console Cushions - Auto & Travel - Walter Drake

(Small size fits the Soul)

I was originally looking for some sort of adhesive-backed foam or gel cushion that I could stick to the top of the armrest, but after looking all over the internet couldn't find anything that seemed like it would work well. This is the best solution I've found so far. With this cushion, the armrest still opens and closes pretty good overall, though you have to slam it just a little to get it to latch closed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not too bad actually. I like it. :)

Is it high density (firm) or low density (soft) foam? I don't like low density because while it feels great at first feel, it's so soft that after a bit it does nothing to comfort your arm.

I went through this entire issue for padding in my wife's Pontiac Solstice. She drives, I ride, and the hard parking brake handle is right where my elbow goes. I ended up having to make a custom foam cushion thing that has a hole up the center for the handle to go through. The bulk of it is high density plastic foam with a urethane low density foam on top for a soft touch. My Mom made a nice fabric cover and it works perfect and looks great.

This thing looks like a great alternative going custom. And let me tell you, just putting on a leather/pleather coating over the armrest is a royal pain! This looks like it's on in a flash. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am pretty sure this is a low density foam. Though the foam can be removed from the black fabric, so you could pretty easily cut a rectangle of high-density foam and swap it out.

Yes, this armrest cover does install very easily in less than a minute. While it doesn't look too bad, getting the armrest wrapped would definitely look better. I wish the armrest was cushioned from the factory, though this is probably one of the little cost-cutting measures that keeps the Soul's price so low.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I wish the armrest was cushioned from the factory, though this is probably one of the little cost-cutting measures that keeps the Soul's price so low.
few of us here in the forum have done various mod. I added left over leatherette material from last project many years ago. it has enough thin padding to be comfortable but not the best. fortunately color matches exactly with dash and side padding. color is called parchment in Lexus which it was originally used for. what you have done looks nice and comfy. Another option is to go to auto-supply or fabric store and get a yard worth of fabric or vinyl in color you like/or/match and cover it so it looks more conform to the interior. more details [now-to] are in my album. in the picture, edges looks little rough but it was later pressed evenly after spray on glue was little drier to get rid of the rough edges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts