Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local Kia/Hyundai dealership today for service. I haven't been there probably in 6 months or more. First thing I noticed was how empty the lot was. There were absolutely no Soul's except mine and another being serviced. I was talking to the guy that sold us the Sonata and he said they were down at least a 108 cars for this time of year.

Something about the manufactures not setting their sales expectations high enough. I think he said they forecast 23% increase in sales and it turned out to be 46%. he said they were kinda hurting to get Kia and Hyundai in stock. Said it would be like that till the end of the year.

Makes me wonder how hard it will be to find the 2012 Soul?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The dealer where we bought our Soul was pretty barren as well when I went there Tuesday for their open house. When we bought ours a couple months ago, the lot was packed and I had to park by the service department -- you couldn't swing a dead hamster without hitting a new vehicle.

I think with the economy, people are looking for more bang-for-their-buck and less for an overpriced car they think will impress everyone. Size and MPG probably figures into the mix as well.

Even some of the economy cars are out of reach. Look at the new Fiat 500 -- $16k (USD) for the bottom-of-the-line. Yaris and xD are nearly the same price-wise for less features. And the (Not So) Smart is dang spendy and takes premium gas. On the other hand, they can bury you in it and they won't have to dig as big a hole as for a coffin.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I went by KIA dealer other day and didn't see one single Soul. usually this time of the year dealers prepare for new year models so it will try to sell as much as they can to prepare. KIA dealer is in an auto park with 6 other manufacturer, and from what I can see both Ford and Mazda looked low on inventory but Toyota had a full lot with one section of the lot nothing but Prius. even with building shutdown for many months, looks like Toyota is really "hurting" for sale with so many new and more competitive vehicles. I heard that Elantra is selling so well in every part of the country, it literally can't build it fast enough to even keep 2 weeks of inventory. I think industry standard is to have 2-3 months inventory.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Currently here in Canada inventory is very low for all foreign cars being shipped through Vancouver. This is because of a strike at the docks that has locked in many previously landed vehicles. Thousands are sitting and cannot be loaded for delivery. Apparently new shipments coming this way are being diverted to US ports. That doesn't explain low inventory in the 'States though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
What a difference two months make. When I bought my Soul, the dealer had around 40 Souls on the lot. Now they have two according to their website :eek:

·
Registered
690 Posts
What a difference two months make. When I bought my Soul, the dealer had around 40 Souls on the lot. Now they have two according to their website :eek:
people are catching on to Soul fever. i was sort of late comer compare to many members here but when I bought mine on 04/10 only after finding about the vehicle a month prior. IMO, its a "lot" of a vehicle for the money and with 2012 updates Soul may become "mainstream" volume seller instead of the limited market appear "box".

·
Registered
255 Posts
Only a handful of Souls at the 3 dealers in my area. (91 North Corridor of MA/CT).

However, plenty of Sportages, Optima's and Sorentos.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The dealer we picked up the Optima at had around 8 Souls when we were there. According to their website they still have 6, but it is Michigan.
I do see a lot more Souls now than when I first moved here, I might see one every couple of weeks, now I see one or two daily.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I went to the dealer to look / talk on Wednesday (Pearson KIA, Glen Allen, VA) they had a grand total of 5 SOUL's on the lot.

3 Titainium Exclaims w/ AT (1 w/ body kit)
1 White Plus w/ MT (that I test drove)
1 Molten Plus w/ MT (used with 9300 miles)

That's it.

-cmc-

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have very limited inventory too. DX'd out our last Soul out today but have 11 in bound. Lots of factors at work here; Kia can't build cars fast enough to meet the demand, Optimas are being switched to U.S. manufacturing, gearing up for new model year, etc. Kia told us "just wait 60 days and you'll have all the cars you need" That's an eternity in the car business! We are starting to see a trickle of new inventory now.

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kia told us "just wait 60 days and you'll have all the cars you need" That's an eternity in the car business! We are starting to see a trickle of new inventory now.

Chris
Yup

Sales Manager emailed me today and told me "no news on availability or pricing yet for the 2012's".

If he can score me the 2011 I want, I'll prolly buy it next week.

Said he found one "he can get his hands on".

-cmc-

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dealer has only 1 Soul on the lot...not many other cars on the lot either. I got an email offering me an extra $1000 on a trade in..said my car was in 'hot demand'.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cheating stealership here in Pittsburgh has been selling a lot; but,
cheating customers a lot, to. BEWARE of Century III in West Mifflin
home of the RIPOFF Financing and Lying trade in values. Don't sign
anything while there the first day. Take the papers home and read
them carefully. If they don't want you to wait, leave without them.

This is the worst way to build up a customer base. To bad because
the Soul seems to be a good car. Sells itself; but, theives abound
at that stealership.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We bought out Lil Soul in February and they had 8 at that time. I went by there yesterday and they had two.

I think Soul fever is happening around here because I see at least one Soul a day when I am in the town where we work where as before it was rare to see another one.

·
Registered
502 Posts
mine is different...my dealer is still selling 2010 SOULs! last time i recall, they have about like 4 - 6 in stock but NO 2011s!!! ...i think the car isnt in demand here compare to CANADA or US though i see 2 or 3 SOULs a day...KIA still have to catch up with VW, HONDA, MAZDA and now since the MG3 is out, selling the hamster is a bit of a challenge...:(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ours are pretty empty too, especially the Hyundai dealer. Tumbleweeds are blowing through the parking lot, there may be a few Accents and maybe an Elantra. The Sonatas are a hot item around here.

The dealer where I bought my Soul said they were selling about 40 Souls a month they still look pretty stocked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No Souls to be had locally at least. Drove through the Kia dealer lot last weekend and no Souls at all.

I had considered a de-appliqued 2011 White Tiger but once I saw the 2012 spec decided to delay my decision. Right now, I can't get either so it's driving me crazy.....hoping my old bucket of bolts can make it until the 2012's are here...

·
Registered
104 Posts
According to the dealer I am currently working with, the 2012's are enroute, but east coast dealers oare only getting "one or two" to start until the big rollout.

Siad he has pricing, but no cars and is not taking pre-orders.

-cmc-

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
The Soul must be popular. They offered me 18,500 for mine. It's an '11 with 6900 miles. Not sure why they'd offer so much for it. They had one new and one used in stock. They had only one loaded Optima. It was tempting to let go of the Soul and go with the Optima.

·
Registered
255 Posts
According to the dealer I am currently working with, the 2012's are enroute, but east coast dealers oare only getting "one or two" to start until the big rollout.

Siad he has pricing, but no cars and is not taking pre-orders.

-cmc-
I agree with that. I went to one of the local dealers in my area while my wife and daughter were spending the day at her Aunt's. (Took advantage of some alone time :) )

The dealer I spoke with said that KIA is not allowing to place an order on the 2012's. You can still place an order for the 2011's. Which he said was funny, because even when he ordered the 2011's in the spring. He would order 40 and KIA would only send him 15.

He mentioned that right now KIA can't keep up with the demand on any of their products (Forte, Soul, Sportage, Optima). The only one they had plenty of was the Sorento and that's because the MFG of that one takes place down in GA.

While I was there, I drove a 2011 Molten Plus as well as a 2011 Corsa Blue Forte 5 SX with navigation.

I have to say, I was VERY impressed with the Forte. With the 173 HP 2.4. That car is surprisingly quick for what it is and I loved the interior as well. Very nice car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts