Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
How do you tell if your Soul is using a lot of oil? Does the light come on before 7500 miles?
Yeah, if THE LIGHT is coming on, that's often too late (as in "put your seat in the upright position...")

Some folks whose engines seized up report seeing that light come on at the same time of catastrophic failure.

Like Bright says, check your oil at every fill up, or more often if you are experiencing depletion. It's very easy to do. That 1 minute can save you massive headaches & grief 😭

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, if THE LIGHT is coming on, that's often too late (as in "put your seat in the upright position...")

Some folks whose engines seized up report seeing that light come on at the same time of catastrophic failure.

Like Bright says, check your oil at every fill up, or more often if you are experiencing depletion. It's very easy to do. That 1 minute can save you massive headaches & grief 😭
Thanks! I feel like I'm back in the 1980's now. Check the oil dipstick at every fill up. ;) At least the tire pressure monitor will let me know when the tires are low. Or maybe that is not to be relied on either. I feel the PPCD kicking in again.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Thanks! I feel like I'm back in the 1980's now. Check the oil dipstick at every fill up. ;) At least the tire pressure monitor will let me know when the tires are low. Or maybe that is not to be relied on either. I feel the PPCD kicking in again.
Your 2020 shouldn't have any oil depletion issue Hobo. That's more a consequence of some GDI engines. You have the MPI version. Check occasionally and unless it gives you a reason, don't worry about it.

No PPCD here folks, move along now :eek:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
My 2016 Soul was never down any oil between changes, so far the 2020 is the same.

Pat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your 2020 shouldn't have any oil depletion issue Hobo. That's more a consequence of some GDI engines. You have the MPI version. Check occasionally and unless it gives you a reason, don't worry about it.

No PPCD here folks, move along now :eek:
Are the GDI engines only in the 2020 Soul Turbo?

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Are the GDI engines only in the 2020 Soul Turbo?
Your 2020 has MPI (Multi Port Injection) and it isn't prone to oil dilution.

Only the 2020 Turbo has GDI, correct!

The GDI engines started in late Gen 1 and in all Gen 2 Souls.

You won't have to worry about that issue with your Gen 3!!

Good job!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your 2020 has MPI (Multi Port Injection) and it isn't prone to oil dilution.

Only the 2020 Turbo has GDI, correct!

The GDI engines started in late Gen 1 and in all Gen 2 Souls.

You won't have to worry about that issue with your Gen 3!!

Good job!!
Thanks for all the great information!

My 2017 Soul + was fantastic, almost sad that I traded it in. Never checked the oil but I probably should have knowing now that it had a GDI engine.

I used to check my oil all the time back in the day... 1980's. Cars didn't have all this fancy-schmancy electronics like the modern vehicles. No cell phones back then either. Wow! If you didn't stay on top of your oil, check your radiator fluid, and keep that mullet combed, you were screwed! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Thanks for all the great information!

My 2017 Soul + was fantastic, almost sad that I traded it in. Never checked the oil but I probably should have knowing now that it had a GDI engine.

I used to check my oil all the time back in the day... 1980's. Cars didn't have all this fancy-schmancy electronics like the modern vehicles. No cell phones back then either. Wow! If you didn't stay on top of your oil, check your radiator fluid, and keep that mullet combed, you were screwed! :ROFLMAO:
Plus I think our dads drilled it into us to check all that stuff regularly.

After all, think about all the old cars they probably drove that were sketchy. We had a Rambler. Needless to say there was a 5 gallon drum of motor oil that was dumped into it regularly.

Remember all the garaged and parking spots back then that had oil slicks on the ground. I don't see that very much anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Plus I think our dads drilled it into us to check all that stuff regularly.

After all, think about all the old cars they probably drove that were sketchy. We had a Rambler. Needless to say there was a 5 gallon drum of motor oil that was dumped into it regularly.

Remember all the garaged and parking spots back then that had oil on the ground. I don't see that very much anymore.
Oh yes. I do remember that very clearly.... and all the maintenance issues with cars back then too. The modern vehicles truly are amazing and trouble-free for the most part.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Our cars were always broken down.....
Same here willy. The parking brake for our Rambler was a piece of firewood carefully placed behind the back tire.

I can still hear my dad yelling "give it a good kick so it doesn't move."

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a Vette back in the 80's ... actually it was a Chevette! LOL That thing kept going even after my sister wrecked it, then the hood flew up and smashed my windshield on a crowded freeway, and the radiator busted and completely drained ... the thing would not quit! The floorboards had rusted through as well, and there was a big hole under the passenger side floor mat. Sweet ride! :LOL:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a Vette back in the 80's ... actually it was a Chevette! LOL That thing kept going even after my sister wrecked it, then the hood flew up and smashed my windshield on a crowded freeway, and the radiator busted and completely drained ... the thing would not quit! The floorboards had rusted through as well, and there was a big hole under the passenger side floor mat. Sweet ride! :LOL:
My buddy and an 84 Manual.....it was a good runner!!!....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same here willy. The parking brake for our Rambler was a piece of firewood carefully placed behind the back tire.

I can still hear my dad yelling "give it a good kick so it doesn't move."
My dad was always in the driveway fixing the cars.....rust, frame/body, master/slave cylinders, brake lines, starters, alternators, Clutches, wiper motors, heater cores, radiators....never ended....

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 KIA GT Soul. Stuttering shifts makes the car jerk. KIA has yet to give any solutions. My second Soul 2015 worked without flaws. Very disappointed.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
2020 KIA GT Soul. Stuttering shifts makes the car jerk. KIA has yet to give any solutions. My second Soul 2015 worked without flaws. Very disappointed.
Hey Jay,

Is your 2020 GT the Turbo or IVT version? What flavor was your 2015 (base, plus or exclaim)?

161 - 180 of 189 Posts