Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
All engines and transmissions will be installed in the factory and then programmed to work together. So you can buy a new 2019 model if they are still on the lot. Or you can get a 2020 trim. Any modification of the transmission, like to change it out for a 6 speed auto, would be on the user to do and would take a lot of work and probably some fabrication. Not to mention it would likely void any warranty. I hope this answers you cause I'm not sure what else you could mean by a 2019 in a 2020

·
Registered
117 Posts
All engines and transmissions will be installed in the factory and then programmed to work together. So you can buy a new 2019 model if they are still on the lot. Or you can get a 2020 trim. Any modification of the transmission, like to change it out for a 6 speed auto, would be on the user to do and would take a lot of work and probably some fabrication. Not to mention it would likely void any warranty. I hope this answers you cause I'm not sure what else you could mean by a 2019 in a 2020
It was a cynical question. I know my own answer. I guess I should have put "LOL" at the end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts
Usually, here in the states, "asking for a friend" implies the sarcastic or insincere nature of the question.

Kind of like "hey dad, a friend of mine was wondering if it's expensive to fix a broken tailight on a car that's similar to yours."

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
17 Posts
Is it possible to get the 2019 version in a 2020 model? Asking for a friend.
Anything is possible and most things are doable given enough time and money. However it may be easier to just install the 3rd pedal and all the associated accessories. 🤑

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Has the 6 speed auto been discontinued completely from all models for 2020?
On Souls, Rios, Seltos & Forte, yes.

Sportage, Telluride, Sedona, Sorento, Optima, Stinger & K900 still have 6 or 8 speed automatics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Soul S. I've owned it less than a week, and now I'm reading about all these complaints about the IVT issues here, and on several other forums.

This is really upsetting to me, as my previous 2017 Soul + had been extremely reliable. I made the upgrade mostly to get all the new safety features in the 2020 model, even though I was not crazy about the new exterior styling, and despite the odd exclusions of features that had been standard on some of the previous models, like the cargo luggage floor as an example. It cost me $245 to get that "accessory", and needless to say I was extremely peeved about that!! Why on earth would KIA leave that item out of the 2020 Soul, except in the most expensive models? That's ridiculous!

The other thing that sounds awful to me is the length of time people are saying that they have to wait for repairs. It's bad enough if you need to have a transmission replaced, but waiting a month or more would not be fun at all!

I wish it was clear just how many vehicles have experienced transmission problems, and if they plan to have a recall. The production date on my vehicle is 12/2019.

This has really sucked all that "new car excitement" right out of me. :cry:

Do I need to worry about this happening with my vehicle? Or is it just a few people that are experiencing these issues with certain production dates? Maybe these are questions that cannot be answered at this time?

The number of complaints on carcomplaints.com are not at all reassuring either.

I guess I will stick to the non-passing lane to be on the safe side. OMG

😔

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
17 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Soul S. I've owned it less than a week, and now I'm reading about all these complaints about the IVT issues here, and on a few other sites.

This is really upsetting to me, as my previous 2017 Soul + had been extremely reliable. ...

😔
Not trying to be callus, but now that you bought it, drive it. Don’t worry about it. So far there have been no report of the itv failing outside of the warranted period. If the itv becomes a widespread issue, then some lawyer will start a class action suit over the accelerated depreciation. In 4 years if the transmisson has alredy been replaced trade it in, if not i would just keep driving it. Also take every opportunity to document any and all issues with your dealer.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
469 Posts
Hey Hobo, Welcome to the forum.
You have the latest build date I've seen posted. You got that going for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not trying to be callus, but now that you bought it, drive it. Don’t worry about it. So far there have been no report of the itv failing outside of the warranted period. If the itv becomes a widespread issue, then some lawyer will start a class action suit over the accelerated depreciation. In 4 years if the transmisson has alredy been replaced trade it in, if not i would just keep driving it. Also take every opportunity to document any and all issues with your dealer.
Thanks! Appreciate the sound advice! I tend to worry about stuff too much. It's got a nice long warranty, so I can relax. :LOL:

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I just purchased a 2020 Soul S. I've owned it less than a week, and now I'm reading about all these complaints about the IVT issues here, and on several other forums.

This is really upsetting to me, as my previous 2017 Soul + had been extremely reliable. I made the upgrade mostly to get all the new safety features in the 2020 model, even though I was not crazy about the new exterior styling, and despite the odd exclusions of features that had been standard on some of the previous models, like the cargo luggage floor as an example. It cost me $245 to get that "accessory", and needless to say I was extremely peeved about that!! Why on earth would KIA leave that item out of the 2020 Soul, except in the most expensive models? That's ridiculous!

The other thing that sounds awful to me is the length of time people are saying that they have to wait for repairs. It's bad enough if you need to have a transmission replaced, but waiting a month or more would not be fun at all!

I wish it was clear just how many vehicles have experienced transmission problems, and if they plan to have a recall. The production date on my vehicle is 12/2019.

This has really sucked all that "new car excitement" right out of me. :cry:

Do I need to worry about this happening with my vehicle? Or is it just a few people that are experiencing these issues with certain production dates? Maybe these are questions that cannot be answered at this time?

The number of complaints on carcomplaints.com are not at all reassuring either.

😔
I agree with Rayman, drive your new Soul to it's fullest & enjoy the heck out of it.

To some extent you are suffering post purchase cognitive dissonance. It's common. It's fueled even more by the internet. Have you ever gone down a rabbit hole researching a cold symptom online & by the time you're done, convinced you have some rare terminal disease?

My 2014 Soul "could have" lost steering, caught fire, ran out of oil and seized up. These things have happened to an infinitesimal number of Souls sold. The same is true with the 2020 IVT issue.

I've had no problems with mine.

Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not. If it does, you have a 10 year Powertrain warranty to fix it.

If you research other car brands in-depth, you'll find all brands are having issues. Overall cars are more reliable today than ever. And you have bought a Kia, a brand that consistently is rated more reliable than most of its competitors.

Enjoy your new Soul if, and until, it gives you a reason not to.

All the best!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree with Rayman, drive your new Soul to it's fullest & enjoy the heck out of it.

To some extent you are suffering post purchase cognitive dissonance. It's common. It's fueled even more by the internet. Have you ever gone down a rabbit hole researching a cold symptom online & by the time you're done, convinced you have some rare terminal disease?

My 2014 Soul "could have" lost steering, caught fire, ran out of oil and seized up. These things have happened to an infinitesimal number of Souls sold. The same is true with the 2020 IVT issue.

I've had no problems with mine.

Can it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Probably not. If it does, you have a 10 year Powertrain warranty to fix it.

If you research other car brands in-depth, you'll find all brands are having issues. Overall cars are more reliable today than ever. And you have bought a Kia, a brand that consistently is rated more reliable than most of its competitors.

Enjoy your new Soul if, and until, it gives you a reason not to.

All the best!
Thanks! I love your term "post-purchase cognitive dissonance". PPCD :p

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Thanks. :giggle: I hope so.
Not to minimize the effect that the IVT failures has had on some folks, but in the cold hard light of day, the number of failures versus the number of these transmissions in service is relatively small. It may just affect a number that were manufactured between certain dates. I am not gonna let the specter of a failure affect my enjoyment of this car, i would advise you do the same. If you have a failure you have a warranty.

Pat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well of course there hasn't because who puts 100k miles on a car in one year?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not to minimize the effect that the IVT failures has had on some folks, but in the cold hard light of day, the number of failures versus the number of these transmissions in service is relatively small. It may just affect a number that were manufactured between certain dates. I am not gonna let the specter of a failure affect my enjoyment of this car, i would advise you do the same. If you have a failure you have a warranty.

Pat.
Thanks! Surprisingly I feel much better about this after a few responses, yours included. I'm going to enjoy the car.

This is my first CVT (IVT I guess they call it) and I really like it. It doesn't have the same feeling you have of the road with a conventional automatic or a manual. But it climbs hills so smoothly. My 2017 Soul + did a great job too, but you could feel it searching for the "right" gear sometimes on a steep hill. The IVT seems like it's not even struggling on steep hills.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Thanks! Surprisingly I feel much better about this after a few responses, yours included. I'm going to enjoy the car.

This is my first CVT (IVT I guess they call it) and I really like it. It doesn't have the same feeling you have of the road with a conventional automatic or a manual. But it climbs hills so smoothly. My 2017 Soul + did a great job too, but you could feel it searching for the "right" gear sometimes on a steep hill. The IVT seems like it's not even struggling on steep hills.
Does this mean we can cancel the PPCD session 😄?

141 - 160 of 189 Posts