Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Pnoman said: "I've survived 45 years of driving cars and motorcycles with no accidents. I'm not about to trust my life to the same technology that brought you auto-correct."

It used to be "big brother was watching" it appears he's taken to driving as well.
I too like the simplicity and the price of the LX.
One item I sorely miss is the voice dialing though.
A message came over the infotainment screen today to keep my eyes on the road and avoid any driving diversions.
Had to laugh and curse in the same breath because that's exactly what the omission of the voice dialing has ensured!
That and the hubcaps though they are pretty nice ones I really prefer the "S" models 16 in alloys.
Other than that I like my soul to be cheap, simple and efficient in pretty much that order.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should be able to do voice dialing still, even without android auto. I’m not sure if your steering wheel has the call buttons, but if not then just activate the voice assistant on your phone, turn down your volume and say “hey google call...”

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm sorry, I can only report on what I've personally seen. (if you don't look, you won't see)
Even after two months I'm still experimenting with the IVT to see just what she'll do.
I find it much more flexible and interesting than what many drivers will ever see. And more than the six speed AT in my 2013 Soul. (which I really liked)

I was playing with the manual mode on my IVT a few days ago, and I found that in Manual Mode, I could not manually shift above 6th gear, at under 45 mph. I had to get up to highway speed (55+) before I could manually shift the IVT into 7th or 8th Gear. 8th gear, for instance, is really an OverDrive gear, and do not expect to pass someone or climb a hill.
But if you're already up to the speed you want to maintain, and shift to 8th gear....well here's one little example, from my personal experience:

I was in a fast line of traffic on I-75 a few days ago and cruising at 83 mph in "D", when I moved the shifter into Manual Mode. Then I bumped it up to 7th and then 8th gear. Then, the engine was turning 2400 rpm, and my Scan Gauge II told me I was getting 34 mpg. That's what I call "Cruisin' Easy". (and, saving money)

Doing that on a long, cross country, trip, could save me a lot of money for gas.
If I'd come to a hill, or need to pass slower moving traffic, it's real easy to just bump the Shifter, and get the IVT back to 6th gear, or even 5th gear if needed.

It's somewhat reminiscent of driving a stick, with overdrive.

Happy Trails, Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Pnoman said: "I've survived 45 years of driving cars and motorcycles with no accidents. I'm not about to trust my life to the same technology that brought you auto-correct."

It used to be "big brother was watching" it appears he's taken to driving as well.
I too like the simplicity and the price of the LX.
One item I sorely miss is the voice dialing though.
A message came over the infotainment screen today to keep my eyes on the road and avoid any driving diversions.
Had to laugh and curse in the same breath because that's exactly what the omission of the voice dialing has ensured!
That and the hubcaps though they are pretty nice ones I really prefer the "S" models 16 in alloys.
Other than that I like my soul to be cheap, simple and efficient in pretty much that order.
With an iPhone plugged in with the USB cable, my wife voice dialed just fine. It uses the phone's mic, but the reception is on the car's speakers. Apple CarPlay works, apparently. She also asked Siri a couple of questions and got directions set up on Google Maps. I don't see the problem, really. I see a Talk button on the steering wheel, too. What does that do?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,604 Posts
It sounds like the 2020 turbos are having problems.
Can you elaborate on your comment Hikergirl? What problems are you talking about beyond the Turbo Lag you have mentioned elsewhere?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Ok thanks! Since that's the same engine & dct tranny used for a few years now (since 2017), I doubt it's endemic to the 2020 model year.

A single failure can be for several reasons. I wish we had more information. Beyond the normal issues with dct, I would be hesitant saying "2020 turbos are having problems."

·
Registered
236 Posts
Someone on another thread mentioned that their 2020 turbo has a complete transmission failure after on 8500 miles.
Haven't seen any posts regarding the dct in the Turbo failing recently. When I picked mine up the other day after getting a new ECU, they mentioned a 2020 GT non-turbo just came in for a blown trans (along with the 19 forte rental that had a bad trans I had to exchange for the stinger). I have a feeling we're going to see a recall soon on the IVT. The other bad news is he mentioned that although he was able to get the trans for the forte relatively quickly, the soul was on a 1 month backorder (pretty sure it's the same part, he just happened to find one in the supply chain). Be gentle on that chain folks, I don't want to see any more having issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well we got the 2020 about 3 weeks after they hit our local dealership..and now have about 15,000 miles on our. Problems..just one but it is bad. Rattles. A LOT of rattles...all over the place.

The worse came from the passenger side A-pillar. Dealership took it apart and put some foam in there..now that one is fixed.

Another one comes from behind the sunroof. Dealership (in one attempt) couldn't fix it because they didn't notice it. It does come and go. I turn my head and lightly punch the interior roof right behind the sunroof and that stops the rattling for about 15 minutes.

Another one from the A-pillar on the driver side. This one doesn't happen often (maybe noticed once or twice per week) so I haven't had the dealership look at it yet.

In the colder weather now, the sunroof one has pretty much gone away, but was replaced by 2 others in cold weather.
-Right under the passenger seat there was one. The plastic vents under the seat were rattling. I took a small cloth and jammed it under the vents to stabilize them...that one is now gone with that DIY fix.
-There is another rattle in the cold weather coming from what sounds like the passenger side door over anything more than light bumps. I can't find out where it is coming from exactly, and haven't had it to the dealership yet. This one sounds like plastic-on-metal.

We had a 2017 turbo also we traded in....never had a mechanical problem with the 2017 (or any rattles) and haven't had any mechanical or electrical problems with the new one..just those rattles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well we got the 2020 about 3 weeks after they hit our local dealership..and now have about 15,000 miles on our. Problems..just one but it is bad. Rattles. A LOT of rattles...all over the place.

The worse came from the passenger side A-pillar. Dealership took it apart and put some foam in there..now that one is fixed.

Another one comes from behind the sunroof. Dealership (in one attempt) couldn't fix it because they didn't notice it. It does come and go. I turn my head and lightly punch the interior roof right behind the sunroof and that stops the rattling for about 15 minutes.

Another one from the A-pillar on the driver side. This one doesn't happen often (maybe noticed once or twice per week) so I haven't had the dealership look at it yet.

In the colder weather now, the sunroof one has pretty much gone away, but was replaced by 2 others in cold weather.
-Right under the passenger seat there was one. The plastic vents under the seat were rattling. I took a small cloth and jammed it under the vents to stabilize them...that one is now gone with that DIY fix.
-There is another rattle in the cold weather coming from what sounds like the passenger side door over anything more than light bumps. I can't find out where it is coming from exactly, and haven't had it to the dealership yet. This one sounds like plastic-on-metal.

We had a 2017 turbo also we traded in....never had a mechanical problem with the 2017 (or any rattles) and haven't had any mechanical or electrical problems with the new one..just those rattles.
I have noticed the same in ours. We traded a 2015 for this one back in July. I wish I had gone with the 2019. The 2020 is cheapened in a few ways, yet the price was higher....typical with something that gains a lot of popularity. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It'll be our last one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

What model of the 2020 do you have?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm at about 10k on a 2020 Turbo, and still rattle free (once I figured out the rattle was my glasses in the sunglasses holder).

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
According to his signature: 2020 KIA Soul "S" 2.0
Thanks daily. I was actually responding to mjd1001, who does not have a signature line. I think you were looking at bbsliders.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks daily. I was actually responding to mjd1001, who does not have a signature line. I think you were looking at bbsliders.
Aaaahhhhh...and I thought I was being helpful...never mind :p

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Aaaahhhhh...and I thought I was being helpful...never mind :p
No worries! I appreciate the effort because let's face it, I need all the help I can get :)

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Now that we are a good way into the first model year of the Gen 3 I'm curious if there are any known issues with the new 2020 Soul whether mechanical or electrical?
SOMETIMES, when the gear shifter is in 1st, and I'm sitting at a light, then try to go, the car will actually be in 3rd. And of course it will stall. Then I push the gearshifter hard to the left, & up into first gear..same thing..still in 3rd. It will take several attempts for it to find first gear. THIS HAS HAPPENED 7 TIMES ALREADY, with only has 850 miles on the car.
I took it in to Sunset Kia,in Venice FL, where I bought it. After a few of the service guys drove it around the block, they came back and said there is nothing wrong, and I am free to go. Really??
Then they insulted me, and got me by saying "you have to make sure it's all the way to the left for 1st gear".
I'm 65, have driven a stick ALL MY LIFE; that is why a bought a Kia with a manual trans.
They said they can't even enter my experience into a database, since it didn't happen to them personally. IS THIS REALLY HOW YOU HANDLE AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM?? By saying it didn't happen, or I don't know what I'm doing??
If this is the case, that means Corporate Kia will apparently never know of the problem, even from multiple owners, because your guys driving it around the block, can't make it happen, then saying there is nothing wrong. AND, by not acknowledging my complaint, you avoid any Recall or Lemon Law situations.
Click below to see another guy with the same issue:

Make sure to read it all the way thru, it is 2 pages. I'm referring specifically to comments made by "Ghost1986".

I have snail-mailed letters to Kia Corporate, and to the BBB. Hafta see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bou
It's very new and most problems would be solved by the dealer's under warranty.

If you check safercar.gov you'll find 3 lodged complaints and 9 communications from Kia regarding the 2020 Soul.
I pu
Haven't seen any on fire yet...
Purchased a 2020 kia soul December 2019 and prior to making the first car payment the transmission needs replacement. My vehicle has been at dealership repair more than 30 days....

41 - 60 of 189 Posts